Difference between 4WD and MFWD

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD #41  
N80 said:
Thank you. That has been my sole contention in all of these 4wd posts.

I agree. And to clarify, when I discussed how my tractor operated my only point in that matter was that you cannot _feel_ the binding in my L4400 even in a tight turn. It was someone else who suggested that my tractor was 'special'. I was quick to point out that the L4400 might be the least 'special' tractor that Kubota makes. :p

I think if you read above we agreed that we wouldn't use the word special. We decided that a MFWD tractor that didn't bind going straight or while turning was fictitious. :)

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD #42  
ovrszd said:
I don't know if we should pay any attention to you Soundguy!!! I saw your list in the Roll Call thread. You definitely have an addiction problem!!!! Hahahaha!!! :D

Don't be hating on them old fords.. they are like timex watches.. the keep on ticking...

Those old guys still earn their keep. The 8n used to be semi-retired and now actually is back on mower duty with a 5' mower, and also on seed and fertalizer spreader duty. The 660 is the only tractor I have with a loader.. so it's uses are obvious. The 5000 and 7610s are oversized lawn mowers...

Soundguy

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD #43  
My B-I-L just recently dragged his old Ferguson out of the barn and got it running so that one of his girls can pull an extra hay rake with it. Wasn't it a Ford precursor?

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD #44  
Harry was into tractors before he got up with Henry.. however it was after the handshake deal went south, and then the lawsuit, before harry started his line of fergy tractor.. ironically, using ford drawing that had been obtained during the partnership days.. I.E. the 9N came out way before the T?20

Soundguy

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD #45  
My old 48 Ferguson TE20 never needed 4wd/MFWD, if the rear wheels started to spin I just raised the plow a hair higher :D
It was a great tractor and worked very well for being 50+ yrs old.

To add to the above mentioned Ford/Ferguson partnership Ford-Ferguson Tractors during the 1940s

Attachments

• TE20 & Bushhog 2.jpg
    TE20 & Bushhog 2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 139
   / Difference between 4WD and MFWD
OK guys, time to go back to the original question - is there a material difference between 4WD and MFWD? I always thought they were different manufacturers' terms for the same thing, but the Goodyear farm tire guide identifies them as two different categories with materially different tire sizing guidelines. This Goodyear material suggests there is a difference between the two and that the terms are widely understood in the industry (they offer no explaination of what the terms mean).

The only thing I've heard so far that *might* answer the question, is that 4WD indicates/implies same-size tires front and rear, where MFWD indicates/implies different-sized front and rear tires.

Any other ideas? So far my conclusion is that our collective answer is "we don't know".

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD #47  
hayden said:
OK guys, time to go back to the original question - is there a material difference between 4WD and MFWD? I always thought they were different manufacturers' terms for the same thing, but the Goodyear farm tire guide identifies them as two different categories with materially different tire sizing guidelines. This Goodyear material suggests there is a difference between the two and that the terms are widely understood in the industry (they offer no explaination of what the terms mean).

The only thing I've heard so far that *might* answer the question, is that 4WD indicates/implies same-size tires front and rear, where MFWD indicates/implies different-sized front and rear tires.

Any other ideas? So far my conclusion is that our collective answer is "we don't know".

I have nothing concrete to base my interpretation on, but then it's probably as sound as listening to a tire manufacturer's interpretation. At least I'm not trying to sell anything.

4WD describes a tractor that is providing power to the front and rear axle at all times.

MFWD describes a tractor that can be operated in rear wheel drive only and engages the front axle by mechanical action at the operators discretion.

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD #48  
machmeter62 said:
I have a Kubota L295DT I purchased nearly 30 years ago new, and has rarely been out of 4WD! The operators manual makes no issues about using it in 4WD. The parts manual shows a differential between the front and rear axle; therefore, where is the stress? Is it wearing out the differential? It still works as advertised! Weight wise, it has always had a loader and backhoe on it, and all four wheels filled with liquids. There is no whining in the drive train either? Maybe, it's a fuel mileage thing? It is called DUAL TRACTION and 4WD only, but I assume it falls under the manual type, since a lever is required to engage it? The total weight with the wheel fluids, backhoe, and loader, increased the basic tractor wt. from 2600# to 5000#+. If I had to stop and change the 4WD lever everytime I was on a hard surface, the lever would be worn out! I also checked with various Kubota rental yards over the years, and they said, "leave it in 4WD."

If the manufacturer wanted a rig to stay in 4WD they wouldn't have spent the extra money for the linkage and lever to take it out of 4WD. Think about it. Kinda like putting seat belts in cars, they expect that you'll use them even though some folks don't.

In the case of New Holland's SensiTrak in a turn 4WD is automatically disengaged so the the front wheels can turn free at different speeds and not put undue stress on the drive line gearing. Naturally this system can be locked out, but I have never felt the need to do so.

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD #49  
hayden said:
OK guys, time to go back to the original question - is there a material difference between 4WD and MFWD?

Again, I think the problem is that there is no technical concensus on this terminology. We've heard a wide variety of possibilites, and some very rational suggestions. But as long as the manufacturers use their own proprietary terms to describe a wide variety of systems, then it is going to be hard to reach agreement on concrete, specific terms.

As mentioned, Kubota uses the term four wheel drive or 4wd almost universally on all of their tractors. My Kubota has a big silver "4WD" sticker on both fenders.

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD #50  
Soundguy said:
Harry was into tractors before he got up with Henry.. however it was after the handshake deal went south, and then the lawsuit, before harry started his line of fergy tractor.. ironically, using ford drawing that had been obtained during the partnership days.. I.E. the 9N came out way before the T?20

Soundguy

"Loosly" based on old wives tales found mostly on Ford collectors sites.....

Actually, Ferguson developed his first tractor with the "FEGUSON SYSTEM" in the early 1920's. Known as the "Black" tractor, it was the test bed for the 3-point hitch and draft control system.

Later on, in 1937 or 38, Ferguson started building the Ferguson-Brown tractor until he and HEnry Ford partnered on the N series bringing Ford back into the tractor world which he had left some years earlier. After it became apparent Ford wasn't looking out for anyones interest but his own, Ferguson started marketing a tractor that was ALREADY IN EXISTANCE, built by the STandard Motor Company. It used The Ferguson System which Harry Ferguson owned the patents.. That tractor was badged as the TE-20. It WASN'T in any shape or form "Using drawings that had been obtained in the partnership days".