Difference between 4WD and MFWD

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD #51  
Re-read my post and the question above it word for word. The poster asked if the 'ferguson' was a precursor to ford... he didn't mention any of the other specific tractor that harry had his hands in... The ferguson tractor.. I.E. the t?-20 was not a ford precursor. The ford 9n came out in 39. the fact that harry had his hands into other tractors previous to that does not change the fact that the 'ferguson' t?20 was NOT a ford 9n precursor. hard to be a precursor when you are built 9 or so years later..

Soundguy

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD #52  
Soundguy said:
Re-read my post and the question above it word for word. The poster asked if the 'ferguson' was a precursor to ford... he didn't mention any of the other specific tractor that harry had his hands in... The ferguson tractor.. I.E. the t?-20 was not a ford precursor. The ford 9n came out in 39. the fact that harry had his hands into other tractors previous to that does not change the fact that the 'ferguson' t?20 was NOT a ford 9n precursor. hard to be a precursor when you are built 9 or so years later..

Soundguy

Hre we go again...

Where on EARTH do you see where I said the on TE-20 was on the market before N series? You won't find that because I flat DID NOT say that.

and the part about the TE-20 being drawings taken from Ford during the partnership days..... Some story...... The TE-20 was a tractor built by the Standard Motor Co. No connection with Ford. Already in business..... Add the Ferguson System that Harry Ferguson OWNED patents on. The weren't Ford property. Judge said so.....

Ferguson BLACK TRACTOR, and Ferguson-Brown tractors BUILT WELL BEFORE N-series were equipped with virtua;lly the same EXACT Ferguson system that ended up on N Fords. All the real proof that was needed of Fergusons claim of ownership of his design. Judge said so.....

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD #53  
My fault on that last post. i ran 2 replies together. The part about the precursor, etc.. was meant to be adressed to N80.

Soundguy

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD #54  
I believe the reason kubota uses the system that it does is because of added ground clearance. The Hummer H1 and Mercedes Unimog also use gear reduction hubs for this purpose. This system reduces driveline stress and places it out at the wheel instead of the inner differential. As a side note, the load on the front drive on smaller Kubotas must not be too great as the size of the front drive shaft is pretty small. Yet I've never heard of a failure of this component on the B series. I've had the front axle apart on my B2400 and the differential inside the axle housing looks pretty small,but it's a rock solid piece of equipment! The only front end failure I've had is the lousy little $1.60 O-ring that goes between the axle pivot and bi-speed unit. 7.5 hrs the first time, 4hrs the second ( learned a few short cuts!).

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD #55  
Friends
I think this explination may help. Or it may complicate things. :confused:

The concept of front-wheel drive assist
Checking lead on front-wheel assist tractors. The front tires on a front wheel assist tractor need to travel between 2-5% faster than the rear tires. This difference in speed is called LEAD. If the leads is less than this then mechanical and ride problems could be encountered. Symptoms of incorrect lead include:
leaking front differential seals,
excessive front or rear tire wear,
high fuel consumption,
excessive tractor bounce and
the tractor working easier in 2WD mode.
Checking the amount of lead. To check the lead, the mechanical ratio front to rear must be calculated and this compared to the tire ratio front to rear when driving over a smooth flat hard surface.
Mechanical ratio. The mechanical ratio is typically 1.3 to 1.4. This means that the front tires rotate 1.3 to 1.4 times faster than the rear tire. This ratio is sometimes stamped on the transfer box or the front differential. To calculate the mechanical ratio the following steps must be followed:
lift the tractor off the ground so all wheels can turn freely.
put in manual 4WD.
engage Differential lock
run tractor for ten rotations of the rear tire
count number of turns of front tire and part turns. Part turns can be calculated by counting the number of lugs.
Example for MF 362: ****
Back tire 10 turns Front tire *13.75 turns
Therefore mechanical ratio = 13.75/10 = 1.375
*Tire ratio. To calculate the tire ratio, the distance for each revolution of the front and rear tire must be determined. To determine the tire ratio:
make sure the tractors front differential is disengaged.
drive in a straight line on a hard surface for a minimum distance of 50 meters
measure distance covered on firm surface for ten rotations of rear tire
measure distance covered by 14 rotations of front tire
calculate the rolling circumference of the tires
Example for MF 362
Rolling circumference
Back tire - 10 rotations - 38.8 m 3.88 m Front tire - 14 rotations - 42.1 m 3.007 m
Lead = (Front tire rolling circumference) x (Mechanical ratio)/(Back tire rolling circumference)
Example for MF 362
Lead = 3.007 x 1.375 / 3.88=1.07 This tractor has a 7% lead
Desired lead percentage
Sand 5%
Clay 2%
Paddy 7-8%
If lead percentage is too low the back tires are trying to push the front tires and 'windup' will occur in the transmission. This can result in transmission failure, excessive rear tire wear, a rough ride and increased turning circle and poor fuel economy. If the lead is too great, the tractor may have excessive bounce over the front axle, rapid wear of the front tire and excessive soil disturbance under the front tire.

Happy Tractoring
Chipperman