MF 1528, JD 790, Kubota B7800 .... or?

/ MF 1528, JD 790, Kubota B7800 .... or? #1  

ChuckinNH

Elite Member, R.I.P.
Tractor
(B2620, had BX22) Simplicity Legacy w/48" mmm
I'm still thinking about upgrading from my BX22, and have moved a notch further up on the scale. Since I will not be mowing with the tractor the gear / vs hydro is less important. I will be using a pto chipper, so pto hp is perhaps a little more important. Compatibility with a good BH is important also. Though I have 13 acres of land, some of it is pretty rough, and the ability to get into smaller places limits me to tractors no larger than these. Any input on the strengths / weaknesses of the models mentioned would be welcome. Other brands, and models come to mind, but I want to retain the ability to use front mounted implements. Thanks for your help!
Chuck

/ MF 1528, JD 790, Kubota B7800 .... or? #2  
Take a look at the New Holland TC30 also.

Andy

/ MF 1528, JD 790, Kubota B7800 .... or? #3  
ChuckinNH:

My NH TC 29DA compares very favorably with the models you identified. It is more ergonomically engineered than a TC30. Jay

/ MF 1528, JD 790, Kubota B7800 .... or? #4  
You have to just try them all and then pick the one that fits you the best. When I did that, I settled on the MF1428 and it's been a perfect machine for me.

/ MF 1528, JD 790, Kubota B7800 .... or? #5  
I guess the price may be a considerable factor since you have mentioned the more utility-oriented models JD 790 and MF. My bias is for the TC34, though this is currently only available w/a Hydro trans. If it had a gear option, it would be without a doubt, the highest PTO HP class II compact tractor by far. With 29 PTO HP, it is still no slouch with the hydro tranny and dimensionally in the same category as the aforementioned models.

"I want to retain the ability to use front mounted implements."

Skid-steer type implements or mid-PTO driven front implements? Assuming you mean universal skid-steer type implements on your BX, you may want to stay clear of JD due to their proprietary QA.

Given the acreage you listed, (and fact that you already have a tractor with the capability to do much of the work the ones you listed can do) I would go as large as possible, even looking as large as a Kubota L3830. From what I have read, decent size chippers (6" and 8") really need the HP....

"Compatibility with a good BH is important also."

What BHoes are you considering as good? Woods Groundbreaker X 7'? 8'? Again, size, weight, and flow matters here. The Bigger the better if specific digging depth capabilities are needed.

There are lots of good choices out there, just need to really assess your needs vs. wants and what you like or meets your needs the most.

Rich

/ MF 1528, JD 790, Kubota B7800 .... or? #6  
Also consider Kioti CK25 or CK30 and the Mahindras. These are very heavy, which makes them very good for ground engagement. Need better maneuverability? Tight spaces? Try the TYM T273. New Holland's supersteer would also be a big asset.

/ MF 1528, JD 790, Kubota B7800 .... or? #7  
Pound for pound the New Hollands generally have some of the most pto hp in their class sizes.

Of the models you listed the Massey will have the most features and is a nice machine. The Kubota is very popular and many people have had good luck with this model. And the Deere is the most basic but bulletproof in design.