Ags or R4's in heavy timber country

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #21  
birdseye said:
Some of the replies in this thread mentioned using the FEL to get yourself "unstuck." As a newbie, can somebody tell me how you do that?

Simplest way is to jam the bucket edge into the ground and either push or pull by using the curl.

Slightly more advanced is to use it to pick up the front tires and put boards, branches, trees rocks and stuff under the tires.

Now when you push down and the bucket drops all the way down into the goo with no resistance, you need to get slightly more advanced. Put a 4x8 sheet of plywood under the bucket and then push down. When the 4x8 sheet sinks to the bottom --> it's time for even more advanced methods.

Tie a chain from a bucket hook to a tree and use the curl to pull yourself free. You can usually get 2 ft per curl.

If you have no trees or other things to tie to, use the most advanced method of all. Raise the bucket all the way up and hope that you can still see it when you get back with a machine big enough to pull your sorry butt out!

(I've only had to use the last one once. The mud was about 18" over the top of the front tires and up to the top of the rims on the rear tires. I can still remember it, I started to cross a small area of run off from a snow mound when the thin layer of frozen ground gave way and the tractor sank to it's belly in about 2 seconds. My exact quote was, "uh-oh").

jb

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #23  
Thanks for the tips! (I hope I never have to use any of them --- especially the more advanced ones ;) )

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #24  
birdseye said:
Thanks for the tips! (I hope I never have to use any of them --- especially the more advanced ones ;) )

I suggest you try it before you need it. Practice makes perfect.
Bob

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #25  
We have a mix of soils here. Mostly clay and rocks. For what its worth, all the logging equipment uses tires with R1 type tread. The righ-of-way mowing equipment, from Kershaws to regular tractors all use R1s.

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #26  
Does anyone have enough goo to need R3s? Also known as rice tires they look like R1s on steroids.

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #27  
I'd love to see a picture of them.

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #28  
N80 said:
I'd love to see a picture of them.

Diamond Tread Turf
Also known as an "R3"
Low disturbance tread

aa-dia.jpg

Basic Turf
Also known as a
"G2" or and "R3"
Low disturbance tread

aa-turf.jpg

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #29  
Great post John Bud. I would like to add:

Hold down the rear dif. lock with you right heel, have the tractor in reverse and let the clutch out slowly while you are curling the bucket with your right hand, work the throtle with your left hand. While you are doing this a cigar helps along with the thought this is a lot better spot to be in than painting the bedroom!

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #30  
What I am finding is that rice tires are R2.

rice_tire.gif

For rear wheels of tractors and drive wheels of combines.

Extra deep tread for extremely muddy conditions.

Self-cleaning tread penetrates deeply in low, wet areas without bogging down.

Also see: Chosing the Right Tire