Do you expect Dealer training on new CUT?

/ Do you expect Dealer training on new CUT? #21  
john_bud said:
First off, the person delivering the machine may just be a well, delivery person. . .
randy41 said:
the dealer didn't show me anything about my tractor except the invoice. . .
I'm pretty surprised by the range of answers I'm seeing and the lack of dealer support.

I deal with 3 dealerships. The salesman who sold me the NH is the guy who delivered it and and trained me on it. He spent at least 90 minutes with me.

The salesman who brought the Ventrac out for a demo is the guy who delivered that tractor and the guy who trained me on it. He was at my house for over 3 hours. (heck I thought he would never leave :rolleyes: )

I've bought 5 tractors from the Cub/Kubota/Case dealership, from GTs to ZTRs to TLBs. Each time the delivery guy who brings the stuff out is an 'old timer' who knows his stuff, each time he does a full walk around, shows how to check oil, belt tension, operation, safety features, etc. He probably spent an hour showing us how to use/check-over the most recent GT I bought.

/ Do you expect Dealer training on new CUT? #22  
Before a tractor leaves our yard or is delivered each owner gets tractor 101. We dont care if your name is John Deere you still get 101 and you sign a paper that you have been instructed and all your questions have been answered

And that any liabilities which may arise from the use of this tractor are the owners responsibility :)

sometimes all that takes over an hour.

Ernie's Imports

/ Do you expect Dealer training on new CUT?
Good discussion points from everyone. I was concerned that if I confessed being a rookie and asked the dealer for some training, it would be considered an imposition.........much like asking a car salesman to spend an hour showing you how to drive..... evidently tractor dealers are (or should be) willing and able to provide this service to newbies.

/ Do you expect Dealer training on new CUT? #24  
Awaiting delivery of a Montana.

Dealer says he expects to spend a "few" hours with me at my place.

h

/ Do you expect Dealer training on new CUT? #25  
I expect the salesman to hit the 'high' points as he's pitching it to me.

I expect -somebody- to tell me about any 'non standard' controlls.

Normal stuff like dash gauges, breaks, throttle and 3pt controlls should be common sense. Specialty controlls should be explained.

Soundguy

Champy said:
In the next 30 days (my wife says), I will be buying my first tractor. How much hands-on operating/training should I expect to get from the Dealer? Or is the process more of a - read the manual & DIY? I am hoping to get a baseline from the Board's actual experience so I don't have extreme expectations of my dealer when I take delivery (but I am willing to confess ignorance and ask for instructions).

Thanks

/ Do you expect Dealer training on new CUT? #26  
Hi Champy,
Welcome to TBN.
I agree with what most others here have said; that a dealer worth their keep should give you some training on the tractor you purchase. However I don't think anyone has made the point yet that you really should be fairly familiar with your tractor BEFORE you write the check. In other words you by all means should try out the tractor (or tractors) that you are considering. At least take it for a spin around the dealers lot (DON'T be shy)and check out most of the controls. For instance there's a huge different between driving a hydro vs sliding-gear vs power-shuttle, etc. If this is your first tractor and you haven't grown up around machinery you should do plenty of looking and test driving before you decide on what you want. Hardly any dealer will have every model they sell on the lot but they will probably have something similar to what your looking for. With a 30 day deadline, I just hope you don't make a $25k decision based just on price, HP specs, or color. I think most folks spend a lot more than a month shopping for their first tractor, epecially one as large as a JD990.

As far as what to read here on TBN, I would start with the safety forum. Better to know the Don't-Do's before you do one. Whatever you buy, enjoy your tractor.

/ Do you expect Dealer training on new CUT? #27  
When the salesman delivered my Kubota. he went over everything. talked me thru unhooking the loader and the back hoe and how to put them back on. And made me do it while he watched. He then ask if i had a practice area and took me over and talked me thru how to use the bucket and how to dig with the back hoe.

/ Do you expect Dealer training on new CUT?
hemiguy said:
- "With a 30 day deadline, I just hope you don't make a $25k decision based just on price, HP specs, or color. I think most folks spend a lot more than a month shopping for their first tractor, epecially one as large as a JD990."

Hemiguy - Good points, but I don't believe I am rushing into a purchase lightly. I've been reading - and looking - and driving - and discussing buying a tractor since May. And now I'm quizzing TBN members going in the home stretch towards a purchase. The treasurer (wife) has given me til the end of November to finally make up my mind and "stop the madness" (her prespective). Just making sure MY expectations are met when I do write that check!

Thanks

/ Do you expect Dealer training on new CUT? #29  
My dealer told me that an experienced tractor jock would be delivering my tractor and he'd spend the entire afternoon with me if nescessary.
It was delivered by a very young kid who knew only the very basics.
My neighbor had a similar tractor and showed me everything I needed to know.
Oh, when the brush hog was delivered a few weeks later, the experienced older guy showed up and was willing to answer all my questions.
Don't expect a prof. of agri. to deliver your tractor. Hopefully you have good neighbors who also have tractors and can help you out if you're a newbie. Always be willing to ask them for help.

/ Do you expect Dealer training on new CUT? #30  
Do you expect Dealer training on new CUT?
I sure did.
I didn't know anything about tractors and had never driven one. I bought a Kama 554 over the internet and the tractor was delivered to my rural property late in the day in the Summer of 2005. It came from Mo to So. California. The truck driver who delivered it knew all about the tractor and unloaded it and all the implements. In doing so, he was careful to show me all the operations.
His name was Larry.

When Larry got it off the truck and everything else, he handed me a set of spare keys, the instruction and parts manuals for the tractor. And also manuals for the backhoe and other implements. Then he showed me starting with the very basics ... starting and shutting it off. He showed me what every lever and pedal did and how to use them. The fel bucket, 3pt, blinkers, lights, brakes, everything on it. He opened the hood and showed me the components like which was the injector pump, oil and hydraulic filters etc. I was impressed at how thorough he was. Each time he referred to the manuals when advising me so I knew where to look once he left. Then he did the same thing with all the implements and especially addressed safety issues. It took several hours to do this.

Knowing he had driven a long way, I had asked him to join us for supper and he accepted. While I was bar-b-queuing and all through supper, he was going on about the tractor and service periods, lubrication etc. Then he had me sign delivery papers and a check list he had, acknowledging that he had gone over everything on it. He was a nice man.

Larry drove off in the dark and has called me a couple of times since, to see how I liked the tractor. He gave me much more service than anyone else at the dealership, including the owner. I was fortunate to have him make the delivery. Definitely an "A" on his behalf.