Dealer told me "you can't buy from them...

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #1  

BTDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel
Back in 83 when I bought my Ford tractor, I went to the dealer in Terrell (in my home county, trying to buy local). He showed me a new 1100 2 cyl. diesel, 2wd for $5500.00. I went to Ben Griffin Tractor, in Dallas, and they showed me 4wd, 2cyl. diesel. I went back to Terrell dealer and told them that I found a better deal, did they want to match or make me another offer. He proceeded to tell me that I couldn't buy from Ben Griffin because I wasn't in their area of sales. I told him they didn't come to me trying to sell me a tractor, I went to them to buy, so as far as I was concerned there was no problem. He never offered to match price or give me another quote so I left. Any one else have similar situation?

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #2  
Some dealers get 'katty' about a person in their geographic location going into another area to buy from aanother dealer selling the same equipment. The way i see it, they feel that they are loosing a sale, and may also be called upon to do warranty work, as you may not want to haul your broke tractor back to the selling dealer if it is a long distance. Since the local dealer dind't make a buck on the sale.. but would have to honor the warranty ( though may take local customers ahead of you ).. that's probably where the cold shoulder is coming from.

I'm not defending the action.. just 'guessing'.

Soundguy

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #3  
BTDT,

Your story brought back memories of my 25 years in the farm and industrial equipment business (up to 1990). My company represented major OEMs like Bobcat, New Holland and White, and shortline (minor) manufacturers like Gehl, Farmhand, etc. In fact in the early '60s, Bobcat was a minor OEM, but transitioned to a major OEM over those 25 years.

Let me give you my thoughts on your delema. In the early to mid 1970s, farm prices were high and consequently farm equipment sold like crazy. I started selling in 1973 and our biggest problem was getting enough inventory. All was well. Every dealer got a piece of the pie. Dealers sold in their home territories. No need to sell far away from home. No internet! Then came the late '70s/early '80s when prices dropped and equipment sales dried up. However, equipment dealers and manufacturers had forecasted even stronger sales. Equipment, now expensive equipment (remember the inflation days of the Carter years), was piling up. Dealers became desparate to move it and sold to anyone who would sign a purchase agreement. This caused chaos among dealers and especially major OEMs. Many dealers had made significant investments (millions of dollars) in their dealerships. The major OEMs had encouraged this as they saw benefits to large, better organized and more profitable dealers. Most major OEMs started to consolidate dealers as the strong bought out the weak or simply took over the bankrupt territories of the dealers who failed.

By the mid '80s, you saw fewer and larger dealers. But at the same time customers were getting larger (big farms) and less loyal to one dealer. The dealers and OEMs saw this and in many cases such as Caterpillar, Bobcat, John Deere and others established exclusive territories for dealers who committed to their brand and growth targets. With exclusive territories, the dealers agreed to sell new equipment only to customers within their territory. For the most part this worked well. However, their were dealers who just couldn't resist a sale to another dealers territory. It was then that the OEMs established a punishment system for dealers selling into unauthorized territories. The most common punishment was a 10% surcharge paid by the offending dealer to the dealer who lost the sale in his territory. Back then, this pretty much stopped sales into unauthorized territories. The OEMs claimed victory because their dealers focussed on their home territories with better products, service and support. The dealers liked it because they could focus on customers and customers ultimatel benefited because the OEMs that took the strongest action back then are the majors today.

Now most of my recollections above are farm dealer related, but my dealership made a transition during that period and especially in the late '80s to industrial/commercial equipment. Land development consumed most of the farms. However, a very similar transition took place with industrial equipment through the '70s and '80s. In fact, Caterpillar was the model for most major farm and industrial OEMs.

So BTDT, back to your situation. Your local Ford dealer was either honoring the spirit of the agreement among dealers to focus on their home territories or perhaps was bound by a punishment clause where he received compensation from the selling dealer or just handled the situation poorly. You choose. 1983 was a long time ago.

I've been out of the equipment business since 1990 so I don't know the specific ins and outs today, but I do know much of what I stated above is still in place today. Just try and purchase a piece of new Caterpillar or Bobcat equipment outside of your home territory.

The above is my humble opinion and recollections of the past.

OrangeGuy

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #4  
I had the opposite happen, I tried to buy a Kubota from a dealer in another state, when I told him where I was from he said he could not sell a tractor that far from his location, and that I needed to check my local dealer. (he had a price listed on his web page that was better than any of the local dealers)

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #5  
That is why Stihl chainsaws sell for retail regardless or where you buy them. Can't find them new on Ebay either; the dealer will be tracked down and destroyed.
Take that John Maynard Keynes

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #6  
I think there's really nothing new or unusual about dealers having "exclusive territories", and whether right or wrong, fixed prices. I bought a new little 305cc Yamaha motorcycle in 1968 from a dealer who advertised cheaper prices in the local newspaper. He said Yamaha simply backordered everything he ordered until they put him out of business. In 1990, I had a Gear Vendors Over/Underdrive installed on my '89 Chevy truck by a dealer who advertised cheaper prices and faster service in the Good Sam Club magazine. Gear Vendors did the same to him and put him out of business. When my brother was a Matco Tool distributor, he had an exclusive territory in which no other Matco distributor could sell, just as he could not go into another distributor's territory.

Is it right or wrong? I don't know; I just know it's a fact of life.

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #7  
Based upon some of what I've just read posted above, I can see the arguement from the dealer's view for exclusive sales territories.

However, nobody has mentioned the fact that all dealers are not created equal, even if they are selling the same line(s) of equipment. Differences in attitude, price, inventory (aka "leadtime"), service, and parts support can be huge factors to someone looking to spend a fairly sizeable chuck of change, and consequently, I don't feel the customer should feel locked into buying strictly from the "local" dealer, nor should any dealer/manufacturer feel obligated to force you to purchase from them only. (If a dealer tried that with me, I'd tell them to stuff it!...Come to think of it, I have.)

Think about other types of equipment - e.g. lawn mowers, vehicles, appliances. How many Exmark or Ford, Maytag dealers are within 10 miles of your house, and when was the last time you only went to the closest dealer to purchase without shopping around?

Last I checked, this is now the 21st century. Consumers are not the ignorant slobs they once were, and have at their disposal multiple avenues with which to conduct vast amounts of research before pulling the trigger on that major purchase. It's time the OEMs joined us in this century...

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #8  
Evening BTDT.
Wondering if the dealership under new mangerment w/talk like that...kinda like saying you can't get there from here.

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #9  
I could not buy from the dealer in another state but I do have 3 Kubota dealers within 40 miles and they would all sell me a tractor, I guess their territories overlap somewhat.

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #10  
Buy used, that solves the problem!
Bob