My "new" tractor

/ My "new" tractor #11  
Roxynoodle: Congratulations!!! Your "new" tractor is exactly what I see in my mind's eye when I think of tractors. My Grandfather worked at an IH dealership in the late 1940s/early 1950s and would give me a IH model each year. I still have them all, except a metal tractor that my sons demolished. The plastic tractor setting on my desk, now, looks exactly like your "new" tractor, except yours has more detail, and mine has IH and McCormick Farmall decals. May your "new" tractor give you long and faithful service!

/ My "new" tractor #12  
After I first saw this post a few hours ago I began looking up various Farmalls for sale on the 'net. That is so cool I want one now too!:) Just don't be too crazy though; no ROPS could mean squished tractor girl!!:eek:

/ My "new" tractor #13  
My FIL's H has a choke rod. If yours is cable maybe it has been changed out in the past. Most cables can be unstuck by soaking in antifreeze.

/ My "new" tractor #14  
The sweetness of a cheap price is soon spoiled by the hunt for implements that use that proprietary hitch. :-(

/ My "new" tractor
BTDT said:
My FIL's H has a choke rod. If yours is cable maybe it has been changed out in the past. Most cables can be unstuck by soaking in antifreeze.

I discovered that last night also. I was thinking the same thing; the rod was replaced by the cable. Should I try to unstick the cable, or buy another rod (looks like $10-$15 on ebay) to make it more original?

As for the implements, I wasn't planning to buy any. I'm going to use it to pull my manure spreader. My Yanmar has a FEL and I use that to load it. I've been pulling it with my truck, but it's a pretty nice truck to be pulling that. Until last fall I had an old truck that I didn't mind pulling it with but with gas prices being what they are, I sold that truck and bought a car. The car is saving me about $150 a month on gas so I think it was a good idea. There was a pull behind PTO run rotary cutter with the tractor but I didn't want to buy it. I already have a rotary cutter for the Yanmar and the Yanmar is a lot more manueverable for mowing my pasture. You can buy 3ph kits for the Farmalls but they are expensive (almost $900 on Yesterday's Tractors). Anyone interested in a tractor like this should probably look at fabricating their own if they want one. Someone on the vintage tractor forum here made one for an Allis Chalmers B he is restoring (current thread).

As for the ROPS situation, I'm just going to avoid all slopes of any kind with this tractor. It does have a really high center of gravity. My Yanmar doesn't have a ROPS yet either, but one did come out this month for that model and I will be buying it soon. Don't want to be "squished tractor girl", lol!

/ My "new" tractor #16  
R/N: As far as the battery being under the gas tank, check around the net for some like tractors. You can easily fabricate a "box" that will attach to the frame rail next to where it is now (you may have to get longer cables though). Easier to get to and more original....Also, at your leisure, pick up 4 new plugs: either Autolite 386s or AC C86s. If Champions are in it now, do yourself a favor and change them out as they tend to foul out more easily than the Autolites or the ACs. We've got 3 Farmall's running the ACs and Autolites and haven't had a fouled plug on any in over 3 years. As you may know, the plugs and ignition systems are the same for all "lettered" farmalls of the '48-'54 era: in other words, a Farmall C/Super C distributor will interchange with an H or an M or even a Cub. What's your serial #? Any suffixes, such as X, X1 or J? PS: The same distributor is used for the 6volt as well as a 12volt conversion. Only thing changed there is the coil is changed out to a 12volt. PSS: If you steering wheel isn't cracked (plastic/rubber part), don't try and replace for a couple of reasons: 1. They are about $36-40 each PLUS shipping=about $50. and 2. The nut holding the steering wheel on is easy to get off but you may have a problem getting off the steering wheel from the rod (usually takes a few days with PB Blaster and a gear puller....Just use Black Duct tape and wrap the steering wheel...No problem. BobG in VA

/ My "new" tractor #17  
Nice deal... You can pull big spreaders now. Nice to have more than one tractor.

mark

/ My "new" tractor #18  
Spent a whole summer bouncing around in the nice molded steel seat of a 1950 Farmall H when I was in high school. Looked a lot like that one - the battery held by a bungee and all. Pulling swathers (sp?), balers, hay wagons, discs, and plows. I don't think there was anywhere on the farm that we couldn't get that old beast.

Brings back memories - sweet machine.

/ My "new" tractor #19  
roxynoodle said:
Here is my newest addition, a 1950 Farmall H. Yes, you are allowed to laugh at it if you want to because it was only $500 and it runs great.
View attachment 63432

I thought you said that thing was ugly?

Down here in florida, someone would sellt hat thing for 2500$ and call it 'restorable', or 'looks good, mostly straight'

Dang.. some people get all the luck.. and only 500$ I hope ya kissed the previous owner after ya robbed him like that.. (grin)

Soundguy

/ My "new" tractor #20  
Hey Roxy,
That old girl is in nice shape ! That sheetmetal looks to be quite straight, that was a terriffic find ! Good luck with the new tractor !