New to TBN

/ New to TBN #1  
J

JohnnyBone

Hi,

I have a very old MF and I want to buy a new tractor to rotary cut 5 acres at least once a month, finish cut 3 acres, snow plow 1000' asphalt, move around topsoil, mulch and gravel. Residential use only. I want a CUT, not a sub-cut. Budget between $14k and $18k. Any suggestions.

/ New to TBN #2  
The choices are very numerous. You will have some shopping fun.:D

/ New to TBN #3  
Welcome to TBN! You will receive many quality suggestions to your questions, here. You should consider the B-Series Kubota's. I have a 2003 B7500 HSD with 60" MMM and LA302 FEL and handle tasks similar to yours: finish mow about 3 acres, rough mow (with raised MMM) about 8 acres of horse pasture and meadow (aka retired hayfield), remove snow from asphalt driveway and 2 parking areas with 72" Woods rear blade and the FEL, and move horse manure and other materials with FEL. Tractor, MMM, & FEL was $15,543 with sales tax, delivered in June, 2003. Woods RB with skid shoes was $646 w/st this year. Best Wishes on your search and decision!

/ New to TBN #4  
Good evening and welcome Johnny.
Lot of good models out there w/good advice...just take your time and have fun doing your home work...visit as many dealership you can,also try different models.

/ New to TBN #5  
Welcome Johnny. That's the way it starts. Just want to mow 5 acres (so you can get a mower with your tractor). Then it's need to plow 5 acres, rake 5 acres, till 5 acres, plant 5 acres, (how much hay can I make off of 5 acres?) etc., etc. Then you need FEL so you can dig pond, build shop, landscape for wife. Then you will need log splitter, trailer to haul logs/wood, etc. Good luck with your search.

/ New to TBN #6  
You came to the right place, we will be glad to help you spend your money :D .

FWIW, I ended buying a used New Holland TN70A (2003). The folks on TBN are very helpful. Cannot find a nicer group anywhere.
Bob

/ New to TBN #7  
Welcome. Shopping should be fun. Look at all of them. The Kubota B and Ls, the Massey 1500s (I have a 1533), JDs, NHs, etc... Check them all out and you'll find what suits you. Definitely don't let a dealer push "HIS" brand on you.

/ New to TBN #8  
JohnnyBone:

Welcome to TBN :D!. Since you already have a tractor you probably have your own ideas on tires, ground clearance needs, lift capacity requirements, etc. As a starting point both NH and JD have a tractor selector program to help you in identifying appropriate sized tractors based on your input. It is my impression that the programs prioritize FEL lift requirements. There are apparent tractor loyalties as well as HP junkies :eek: here at TBN. The major tractors are pretty competitive when it comes to price ranges vs size. The "specs" are generally sales and marketing driven and inconsistent and comparing spec to spec will make you :confused:. Dealer "feel" is just as important as tractor "feel". Test drive tractors and talk to as many dealerships as is realistic for you. In the long run a good dealer will save you money and will be a valuable resource. Having said all that my property profile appears similar to yours and I am very satisfied with my NH TC29DA :D. Remember we at TBN are more than willing to help you spend your hard earned money as well as provide you with the necessary "justifications" to the "comptroller" when it comes to attachment acquisitions :cool:. Remember buy what makes you happy- Jay

/ New to TBN #9  
Egon said:
The choices are very numerous. You will have some shopping fun.

Oh! The irony in that statement! Fun??? Arg!

There are so many choices! And to actually see/drive one of those choices I need to drive hours!

Maybe I'll have better luck at an auction... Of course, then I'll have an auction tractor - and who knows what shape that will be in?

Ahem. La la la. And, yeah, sure, good luck to the OP!

/ New to TBN #10  
Yup,you'll sure get lots of help here,just not sure how cheap it will be in the long run(the help that is). As for a tractor choice.........I'd say try them all for as long as possible before you decide. Let the seat of pants make your decision in the long run,not color blindness or brand loyalty. Try not to get caught in the hype made by the spin-doctors of adverstising. They know how to use the gray areas better than the politicians ever dreamed of doing. Remember there is life outside of the Big3,quite a nice life really. So don't jump too quick.