Spray paint over rust

/ Spray paint over rust #1  

charlesw

Silver Member
Tractor
F-NH 3930
I had my second ebay experience today and it was stunningly similar to the first - gross misrepresentation of the condition of the tractor and spray paint directly over the grime and rust. Ok, I admit it, on neither tractor did I actually try to scrape the new paint off. But I bet I could have - no problem. It's really quite depressing to think that people are so venal as to think that doing this is a good idea. Sure, they wouldn't get as much money for their crappy tractors - but at least they would be being honest about them. Right. But who cares about honesty - it's the money that counts.

Well. Poop! 4 months on and still looking for the right tractor...

c

/ Spray paint over rust #2  
Well you kind of have to take everything people say when selling things that they are probably making it seem better than it is, The sad thing is there are some really honest and strait up people. Nobody ever complains that the got exactly what the thought they were getting. I you get riped off though you would think the world was full of cheats and lyres

/ Spray paint over rust #3  
Well when you are talking about Ebay it is the "money"and it looks like it is pretty much the way America is going. Then too you have to remember that a certain percentage of people in the population are completely crooked and a few more are partly crooked, I have been wondering what the actual percentages are? Are 1 in 10 completely crooked and maybe 2 in 10 partly crooked? If we knew the numbers we could have a better chance not to get taken. It is not just Ebay I have seem local "restored" tractors where they sprayed right over the dirt, didn't have the time to presure wash them. Pretty sad.

Chris

/ Spray paint over rust #4  
pennwalk said:
Well when you are talking about Ebay it is the "money"and it looks like it is pretty much the way America is going. Then too you have to remember that a certain percentage of people in the population are completely crooked and a few more are partly crooked, I have been wondering what the actual percentages are? Are 1 in 10 completely crooked and maybe 2 in 10 partly crooked? If we knew the numbers we could have a better chance not to get taken. It is not just Ebay I have seem local "restored" tractors where they sprayed right over the dirt, didn't have the time to presure wash them. Pretty sad.

Chris

Well it depends on what portion of the population you look at. If you look at lawyers, I bet you would find a lot with impaired moral compasses. If you look at politicians - who are mostly lawyers - same deal only worse. If you look at the dirty thumb sucking leaches that produce the slimy attack ads that have been filling the airwaves for the past 4 weeks -- I'd guess you couldn't get enough moral fiber to darn an infants sock --> from the whole bunch of them.

Did you know that junior senator ***** from Illinois during his first year in office had income from his NON-Government job greater that his last 7 years combined. That includes his wife's income too! Look it up, true fact. You tell me, what full time job lets you get paid 5-6x more for outside part time work than for the full time work? Corrupt? Hmmm, I wonder. (actually, I DON'T wonder)

Oops, sorry for the rant...just sort of boiled out. I can't wait for the end of these ads.

Sorry you have so much trouble getting a machine from ebay. Have you gone to the local auctions? Usually a better class of person can be found at auctions with mud and animal byproducts on thier shoes than on ebay.

jb

/ Spray paint over rust #5  
I had a similar experience, I advertised a 1982 Corvette that needed an interior and I was honest and detailed with the description ( 78K miles for $7K. Nobody called? It's a keeper now.
Honesty does pay.
Jim

/ Spray paint over rust #6  
I've only sold a couple of things on e-bay and always state, "no obligation if not as described". I also have always listed as pick up only, so the buyer can see it before owning it. So far, so good.

/ Spray paint over rust #7  
We call that an overhaul in a can. It's not just ebay, you'll find tractors like that all over.

/ Spray paint over rust
pennwalk said:
Are 1 in 10 completely crooked and maybe 2 in 10 partly crooked?

Bleh! I don't like those statistics! It makes it so hard for the rest of us! And, obviously, it won't work to tattoo honesty ratings on foreheads (the dishonest would figure out a way to get honest tats).

But, seriously, how do these people get good ratings on ebay? Is it a question of not giving bad ratings for fear of receiving a bad rating in return? Probably something like that. Well, poop!

/ Spray paint over rust
john_bud said:
Sorry you have so much trouble getting a machine from ebay. Have you gone to the local auctions? Usually a better class of person can be found at auctions with mud and animal byproducts on thier shoes than on ebay.

Somehow I don't hear about the small, local farm auctions. I hear about the big ones. And my mechanic has a VERY low opinion of those who run those... I suppose that's not a reason not to go - but it could be a good reason not to bid! (Most of the tractors being offered by the auction house and not by individuals.)

/ Spray paint over rust #10  
charlesw said:
I had my second ebay experience today and it was stunningly similar to the first - gross misrepresentation of the condition of the tractor and spray paint directly over the grime and rust. Ok, I admit it, on neither tractor did I actually try to scrape the new paint off. But I bet I could have - no problem. It's really quite depressing to think that people are so venal as to think that doing this is a good idea. Sure, they wouldn't get as much money for their crappy tractors - but at least they would be being honest about them. Right. But who cares about honesty - it's the money that counts.

Well. Poop! 4 months on and still looking for the right tractor...

c

I've bought and sold hundreds of things on EBAY. For the most part, I've got "what I paid for". A few instances, I've got MORE than what I expected (or what I was promised) Every so often, I've bought items that were cleverly disguised as "mint", "restored", or just "good condition", only to RECEIVE a piece of garbage. From what I can see, EBAY isn't much different that any classified adds or even a used car/truck/tractor/ect dealers lot. The only difference? Your buying sight unseen. The level of honesty is about the same though. It varies wildly from seller to seller.

My EBAY sales feedback indicates that I tend to undersell things. I tell everything that wrong and make no false or misleading promise's. That's probably led to a few things selling for less that maximum price, but I can sleep at night.

Over the years, I've bought tractors to fix up and re-sell that were in far worse condition than I was told originally. Wiring that's burnt up. Oil leaks that were "fixed" by lowering oil levels. All sorts of "used car lot tricks". That's led me to one practice when I buy anything. No matter if it's sight unseen or I've had a chance to look it over carefully. BUY LOW or leave it be.

I'm heading out the door in a few minutes to hook up the trailer in order to go pick up a tractor I'm buying. It was advertized as "Like new condition. Low hours. New paint. Engine smokes when first started.". When I went to see it, I was appalled. Like new? They didn't come new with the tie rod all welded up. Low hours? Because the hour meter/tach hasn't worked in years. New paint? Straight out of the Krylon can, runs and all (Wrong colors too) . Engine smokes when first started? It sure does. And it keeps right on smoking until it's shut off. I offered the seller 1/2 what he was asking. 3 weeks later, I get the call to come and get it at my offer. Seems no one else bit on the hype. Next spring, when you see my add for a "recently overhauled and freshly painted International Harvester 574", you can bet it won't be any less than what I advertise. And it might just be a whole lot MORE.

There are still a few people who believe in honesty when selling something.