Suggestion for 16 acres

/ Suggestion for 16 acres #1  

jkruer01

I just purchased 16 acres and will turn it into a small horse farm (less than 5).

5 acres will by the lawn and the remaining 11 acres will be divided into 3 pastures. All of it is relatively flat and there are no trees on it. I plan on keeping the pastures mowed and looking very nice (although that may change after mowing it every week for a year or so).

My question is, what type of mower/tractor should I get. Somewhere I read that a 40hp tractor is a good size for a small horse farm, but then I went to a store and they recommended a zero turn mower because it would cut the grass faster. I talked to someone else who has 10 acres and he has a 30hp tractor.

Can someone help me decide what would be best...a tractor with a finishing mower or a zero turn mower?

If a tractor is recommended, which brand/model and how much hp? Also, I am just beggining my search so can you give me a rough estimate of what a new one would cost as well as a used one?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am completely new to this and would rather make the right decision now rather than regret it later.

My only question with a tractor is how much would I use it? We don't get a lot of snow, I wouldn't need to dig post holes, etc.

Thanks!

/ Suggestion for 16 acres #2  
Welcome to TBN.

You have lots of options. I personally would not recommend a ZTR. It cuts grass fast, but that's it. A tractor can cut grass, do rough bushhogging, till, cultivate, tow, dig, trench, move heavy objects with FEL,...etc. Tractors are much more useful.

As far as size, I'd look anywhere from 25-40 hp. The heavier the tractor the tougher it will be on your yard. A smaller tractor will be easier but will also tow/haul less and slower. I don't know how much front end loader(FEL) work you want to do but in a compact tractor, 4WD is almost a must for FEL work. FELs are useful for a lot more than moving dirt. You'll find all sorts of uses.

What brand you get should be totally based on personal preference. Ergonomics, dealer relationship, recommendations from friends with tractors can all be useful, but ultimately you are on the machine. Deere, Kubota, New Holland, Massey Ferguson, Kioti, Mahindra are just a few of the "name" brands. Then there are the Chinese tractors if your handy with a wrench. All can represent some good bargains, all can have good machines, and inevitably every brand can possibly have a lemon.

New machines seem to run from $13000-$25000 in the 25-40 hp range depending on brand and options such as rear remotes, FEL, and implements in the purchase. Sometimes a used bargain is out there, but most used machines in good condition hold their value well. It's not like buying a car.

Make a list of what you need to do with the machine, including work requiring hydraulics and ground engaging equipment, and how fast or slow you need the work done. Shop around, look at all brands, demo them if possible, feel out the dealer or previous owner, and ask lots of questions. Most of all have fun. You'll find one you like and suits your needs and probably at a price you like.

Hang around here, also. Lots of good, knowledgeable folks willing to help.

/ Suggestion for 16 acres #3  
Speaking from a guy who has 16 acres and a zero turn radius (ZTR) mower; I don't think you would be able to get all that mowed with a ZTR. Unless you want to be mowing all the time! The ride over pasture, even on smooth pasture, with a ZTR is very rough. I have a 72" (6 foot) deck ZTR and it takes me about 4 hours to mow the 5 or 6 acres close to my house. A ZTR for the area of the lawn/yard would be very good; but for wide open flat pasture it would not do well and actually be a bit of a hindrance. There are so many numerous options to consider it is almost impossible to just recommend a tractor and tell you what to get. If you are talking about mainly for mowing you may consider a 35-40hp tractor with a mid-mount mower. But I would seriously consider a compact utility tractor (CUT) in the 40hp range with a 3-point hitch (3ph) and at least the ability to attach a front-end loader (FEL). You could use the FEL for loading grain, loose hay, shovelling manure, etc. You could attach pallet forks and hay spears and find all kinds of uses on a small horse farm. You would almost see it as a necessity. As far as the mowing goes, I would attach at least a 7-foot finish mower with that frequent of cosmetic mowing on that size area. Consider the Kubota L4030 for the tractor. There are too many options to count and there are countless things to consider. You may get so much seemingly conflicting advice that you get confused. But ultimately choose a brand, dealer, and specific tractor that works for you.

/ Suggestion for 16 acres #4  
With mostly all mowing jobs I'd recomend a lite weight tractor with a fairly decent hp rating. A Kubota B3030 would be a good all around performer and will handle the 11 acres of pasture and lawn mowing applications well. It's one of the smaller tractors available with a cab as well if you are interested in one.

/ Suggestion for 16 acres #5  
I recommend a tractor. You won't want to be mowing your pastures every week. The horses should do a fair job of keeping it trimmed, but when they don't, you will want to mow with a rotary cutter (brush hog). If you are lucky you might only have to mow the pastures 1-3 times per year this way. Eventually you may want a post hole digger too. You may decide to put up a fence line here or there, build a pole barn or compost bin, etc. You also need a way to spread or get rid of the manure. I find my front end loader to be my most used and helpful implement. I put the dirty bedding in it and drive it to my compost bin. When there is enough to spread I use the loader to put it in the spreader. I also use the loader to put new shavings in the stalls and to stack hay bales. If you are using round bales you will want a bale spear to move those around. A box blade is useful for grading the drives to your house and barn. I also have a cheap lawn tractor (Troy Bilt) for mowing in the tight spots and trimming.

/ Suggestion for 16 acres #6  
jkruer01:

Welcome to TBN :D! I agree with all the postings. Test drive a lot of tractors and get a "feel" for the dealerships. Dealer "feel" is just as imortant as tractor "feel". A good dealership will save you money in the long run as well as make appropriate suggestions as to use and what tractor and attachments you really need. Both NH and JD websites have software tractor finders and can give you tractor recommendations based on your own input (The results are "weighted" towards FEL lift.). Use those recommendations as a stating point. If mowing is your primary expected need you should go lighter vs heavier as to tractor weight and you definately do not want R-1 tires as they will chew up your lawn. The bigger Class III CUT tractors are not only heavier they also appear "tippier" than Class II and Class I CUT's as you are higher off the ground. Class II's and I's are more maneuverable. I do not think you really want a midmount mower as it will seriously reduce your ground clearance. A rear mount finishing mower as well as a rotary cutter are easier to put on and take off and give you a greater range of cutting heights. There are a lot of HP junkies out in TBN land :eek:, and everyone myself included wishes on ocassion that he/she had gotten a bigger tractor. Test drive as many tractors as you can and ask a lot of questions. Please keep in mind that the readership at TBN is more than willing to help you spend your money. By the way I am very happy with my NH TC29DA :). Good luck- Jay

/ Suggestion for 16 acres
jbrumberg said:
Both NH and JD websites have software tractor finders and can give you tractor recommendations based on your own input (The results are "weighted" towards FEL lift.). Use those recommendations as a stating point.

Interesting. Both gave me a recommendation that was less than what I expected. The New Holland recommended the TC26DA and the John Deer recommended the 790 Tractor (27 hp).

You mentioned you have the 29 hp New Holland, what size finish mower to you have on the back of it?

Thanks!

/ Suggestion for 16 acres #8  
I reccomend a tractor.. not a ZTR. A ztr cuts grass fast.. and that's it. A ztr can't be fitted with a FEL, or a rear dirt scoop.. or a box blade.. or a tiller.. and won't be able to pull a pasture drag.

I think a mid 20's-30-40hp tractor should be good for you. ( depending on intended uses other than mowing ) i also think that you will find that 5equines will pretty much keep 10ac well groomed, depening onthe horses and the pasture grass.. etc... So you may be doing alot less cutting than you think.

if it were me.. I sure wouldn't have 5ac of lawn. When we built out house, I ran the side fences 6-10 feet fromthe sides and front of the house, and about 20' from the back of the house. The rest is pasture. Unless you have a specific use in mind for 5ac of yard... youmay want to think about using some of that 5ac for either pasture.. and/or barn/equipment/tack/feed storage area.

Soundguy

jkruer01 said:
I just purchased 16 acres and will turn it into a small horse farm (less than 5).

5 acres will by the lawn and the remaining 11 acres will be divided into 3 pastures. All of it is relatively flat and there are no trees on it. I plan on keeping the pastures mowed and looking very nice (although that may change after mowing it every week for a year or so).

My question is, what type of mower/tractor should I get. Somewhere I read that a 40hp tractor is a good size for a small horse farm, but then I went to a store and they recommended a zero turn mower because it would cut the grass faster. I talked to someone else who has 10 acres and he has a 30hp tractor.

Can someone help me decide what would be best...a tractor with a finishing mower or a zero turn mower?

If a tractor is recommended, which brand/model and how much hp? Also, I am just beggining my search so can you give me a rough estimate of what a new one would cost as well as a used one?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am completely new to this and would rather make the right decision now rather than regret it later.

My only question with a tractor is how much would I use it? We don't get a lot of snow, I wouldn't need to dig post holes, etc.

Thanks!

Soundguy said:
I reccomend a tractor.. not a ZTR. A ztr cuts grass fast.. and that's it. A ztr can't be fitted with a FEL, or a rear dirt scoop.. or a box blade.. or a tiller.. and won't be able to pull a pasture drag.

I think a mid 20's-30-40hp tractor should be good for you. ( depending on intended uses other than mowing ) i also think that you will find that 5equines will pretty much keep 10ac well groomed, depening onthe horses and the pasture grass.. etc... So you may be doing alot less cutting than you think.

Thanks, for the advice. Right now we only have 1 horse and it is boarded with others so I don't know what to excpect. Once we move we will get another horse almost immediately and maybe a goat or donkey. It will be a while before we get up to the 5 horses.

Soundguy said:
if it were me.. I sure wouldn't have 5ac of lawn. When we built out house, I ran the side fences 6-10 feet fromthe sides and front of the house, and about 20' from the back of the house. The rest is pasture. Unless you have a specific use in mind for 5ac of yard... youmay want to think about using some of that 5ac for either pasture.. and/or barn/equipment/tack/feed storage area.

Soundguy

Yeah, we do have plans for the 5 acres. We have English Mastiffs (200lb dogs) and they need room to run. Also, eventually we will build a pond and a swimming pool. Part of the pasture land will be used to build a 100'x100' barn.

Thanks again for the advice!

I'm leaning toward a 30hp tractor but now I don't know which brand to get. Also, I plan on probably buying a used one. It's hard to compare prices because most places don't list them online. I know Kubota seems pretty popular around here.

There is a New Holland dealer nearby that has some used tractors for sale. There were a couple that were 4 or 5 years old with less than 100 hours on them and they were asking about $10,000 for them. I think one was a TC29 and one was a TC30. They seem like a pretty good bet to me. I still need to go to the Kubota dealer though and the John Deer dealer.