What tractor?

/ What tractor? #1  

CurtisB

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610
Hi, I currently own a Kubota B7610 which I have owned for about a year and a half. Not very long, however we recently relocated back up to Minnesota after living in the Chicagoland area for 12 years. Glad to be back home.

Anyway, we bought a nice place right on the river on 25 acres, thinking I need to get myself a bigger tractor now. I plan on raising cattle, anyway here is the lay of the land. About 7-8 acres of finish grass, 7 or so acres of woods and remaining is pasture/other land. All fairly flat except along the river and ditch banks so stability is somewhat of a concern. I know after owning my 7610 for as long as I have that I will seriously tax the little machine with what I plan on doing here. Any if I don't I will tax myself with how long it takes to blow my 1/4 mile driveway in the winter or mow the 7+ acres of grass.

So, my idea is to buy something in the 35HP range, probably not Kubota because this country is ruled by New Holland and John Deere. No Kubota dealers around...

Having grown up on a 5000 acre farm up here, I know the New Holland and John Deere dealers pretty well although the New Holland dealer is much more honest, etc. We talked about a TC34DA, TC35DA and TC40DA, the first is a class II chassis so a little smaller otherwise the others are class III's. The main reason I am thinking about going with the class III is for lifting the huge round hay bales for cattle, etc...

I know I will give up on the maneaverability, etc. with the bigger tractor that I currently have with my Kubota but I think all in all I will be much happier.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Curtis

/ What tractor? #2  
In your case I'd be inclined to go with the more desirable dealer. That relationship will serve you best over the years.

/ What tractor? #3  
I think I would be looking at the TC40/45. They are built on the same frame as the TC35 but offer more horsepower for larger PTO powered implements. Lift capacity will not increase by moving up from the 35 to either the 40 or 45, but the PTO HP goes up so you'd be able to run a larger mower, tiller, etc. Also the turning radius on all 3 is the same so once you move up from a class II TC34 to a class III TC35, you might as well just skip up to the larger engine because there is no real drawback and there are benefits.

/ What tractor? #4  
in my opinion the TC45 is the best compact new holland sells. Its price point is also more competitive than many of the other TC-Series tractors. Given your round bale task, no doubt this is where you should be looking.

/ What tractor? #5  
Too bad you can't keep the smaller kubota.. and pick up a slightly used larger tractor to handle the bigger tasks.

Soundguy

CurtisB said:
Hi, I currently own a Kubota B7610 which I have owned for about a year and a half. Not very long, however we recently relocated back up to Minnesota after living in the Chicagoland area for 12 years. Glad to be back home.

Anyway, we bought a nice place right on the river on 25 acres, thinking I need to get myself a bigger tractor now. I plan on raising cattle, anyway here is the lay of the land. About 7-8 acres of finish grass, 7 or so acres of woods and remaining is pasture/other land. All fairly flat except along the river and ditch banks so stability is somewhat of a concern. I know after owning my 7610 for as long as I have that I will seriously tax the little machine with what I plan on doing here. Any if I don't I will tax myself with how long it takes to blow my 1/4 mile driveway in the winter or mow the 7+ acres of grass.

So, my idea is to buy something in the 35HP range, probably not Kubota because this country is ruled by New Holland and John Deere. No Kubota dealers around...

Having grown up on a 5000 acre farm up here, I know the New Holland and John Deere dealers pretty well although the New Holland dealer is much more honest, etc. We talked about a TC34DA, TC35DA and TC40DA, the first is a class II chassis so a little smaller otherwise the others are class III's. The main reason I am thinking about going with the class III is for lifting the huge round hay bales for cattle, etc...

I know I will give up on the maneaverability, etc. with the bigger tractor that I currently have with my Kubota but I think all in all I will be much happier.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Curtis

/ What tractor? #6  
CurtisB said:
I know after owning my 7610 for as long as I have that I will seriously tax the little machine with what I plan on doing here.

If money is tight, stick with your little tractor until you know you need a bigger one. Then go with the dealer that treats you well.

I bought a used New Holland TN70A (incredible deal, powerful tractor) with AG tires. I never will take it on the lawn, so not an issue.

Bob

PS I almost bought a NH TC40DA. Great machine.

/ What tractor? #7  
CurtisB said:
The main reason I am thinking about going with the class III is for lifting the huge round hay bales for cattle, etc...
Curtis

How huge? Get a TC40/45DA out for a demo and then decide.
Bob

/ What tractor?
Thanks everybody so far, I am starting to wonder what the best decision is, best thing about my little Kubota is that it is payed off and only has 165 hours on it. Kinda a tough decision to trade off a brand new tractor and lose so much in the deal only to take on a small payment again. I got about $7K available cash for the deal but I have to get a snowblower as well.

That is what brought me to this point, I hate to buy a 60" blower and find out in 6mos that I need a bigger tractor. I already have a 50" tiller and 54" box blade which would prove to be to small.

If it had a few more deluxe features I probably would keep it, I want some rear remotes, etc.

Once again, thanks.
Curtis

/ What tractor? #9  
If hay bale moving is a major concern for tractor size.. get a tumblebug trailer.. it carries a single round bale of hay, and a small tractor or car or truck can tote it.

Most of the designs i se are 'semi' self loading.. I.E. you back up tot he bale.. engage trailer brakes, the trailer lid flips over the bale.. you lock it in place, disengage brakes, and drive off.. etc.. Some use a spear and winch.. etc.

Soundguy

/ What tractor? #10  
Soundguy said:
If hay bale moving is a major concern for tractor size.. get a tumblebug trailer.. it carries a single round bale of hay, and a small tractor or car or truck can tote it.

Most of the designs i se are 'semi' self loading.. I.E. you back up tot he bale.. engage trailer brakes, the trailer lid flips over the bale.. you lock it in place, disengage brakes, and drive off.. etc.. Some use a spear and winch.. etc.

Soundguy

Another option for bale moving is a two wheeled trailer apparatus with a hydraulic cylinder operated bale stabber on the back. You hitch it to your tractor, hook up the hydraulics to your rear remote. Now the trailer carries the bale and all the tractor does is pull it. Several farmers in my area use these when they don't want to carry the bale in the back of their truck or on their tractor. I hate to see someone trade tractors just to move a few bales of hay a year. :(