turbo diesel tractor or not???

/ turbo diesel tractor or not??? #1  

Kentucky bound soon

I noticed some tractors and models, like JD and Kioti 40 to 60 HP use turbo charged with a small cubic inch motor instead of a larger diesel with no turbo charged motor ,it just seems that a larger motor with no turbo would last longer and have fewer problems??????Thanks :)

/ turbo diesel tractor or not??? #2  
I said the same thing when I had my NH 1920.. it had a 'large' 4 cyl engine to make it's 33 hp. Vs the quite a bit smaller 3 cyl tc 30.. etc.

I can't help but feel that a bigger engine may last a bit longer when it comes to hard use, in the long run... However.. there is something to be said about new technology and manufacturing processes.. etc. So bigger is not always better.

When it comes to turbo.. it's a breathing issue. i can tell you that a turbo driven engine will suffer less in higher altitudes than a naturally aspirated engine.. etc.

Soundguy

/ turbo diesel tractor or not??? #3  
Modern turbos are incredibly reliable and a turbo charged diesel engine is basically just a more efficient powerplant. The marine industry has been using turbos for years with excellent reliability. My only concern with a tractor would be the dust factor. I would imagine that turbocharged engines designed for tractors take that into account however so the issue would only require being as fussy about maintaining air cleaners as most of us are with oil and oil filters.

/ turbo diesel tractor or not??? #4  
Kentucky bound soon said:
it just seems that a larger motor with no turbo would last longer and have fewer problems??????Thanks :)

Don't tell that to the millions of turbocharged diesels. Buy the tractor with whatever motor (turbo or none) fits your needs. If you are at high altitude, go turbo for sure. Change oil and oil fliter and air filters. Make sure if you have a turbo that you allow 3 minutes at idle to cool down the turbo bearing before shutdown. Now, go out and buy a tractor!
Bob

/ turbo diesel tractor or not??? #5  
Kentucky Bound Soon: In the general aviation industry, the turbocharged (gas) engines have about a 300 hour shorter life cycle than non turbos. It maybe the temperature and pressure thing; related to heating, cooling, expansion, and contraction of the moving parts, since the engines are air cooled. A constant temperature is generally not attainable. I have a Ford F-250 7.3 liter diesel with a Banks Turbo for towing in the mountains. the restriction on the engine is cylinder temperature of 1100 degrees F; if you exceed that, the danger is melting the pistons. The temp. is measured with an added pyro gauge. The boost creates a lot of power, but sometimes I have to downshift to reduce the boost because of the heat limit. I don't think this would be a factor with a tractor however.

/ turbo diesel tractor or not??? #6  
machmeter62 said:
Kentucky Bound Soon: In the general aviation industry, the turbocharged (gas) engines have about a 300 hour shorter life cycle than non turbos. .

Okay, out of how many hours total?
Bob

/ turbo diesel tractor or not??? #7  
Only the Kioti 55 and 65 are Turbo'd
I know the Kioti with turbo has an oil cooler added to it, over the non-turbo'd engine. They don't just add a turbo.
The cool down depends on what you were doing witht the engine also.
If you have been just idling accrossed the farm it won't hurt it to only wait 30 secs to shut it down.
If I owned one I would have a pyrometer on it so I KNEW when it was safe to shut down.
I look at it in terms of trucks etc.
How many miles do the Cummins, Powerstroke and Duramax Diesels go without needing a new turbo.
If you want to take all of the Commercial vehicles into account look at the ratio of turbo to non-turbo diesels there are out there.
I think our area of interest, Light Commercial and residential, use is the only area that isn't widely turbo'd.

BTI

/ turbo diesel tractor or not??? #8  
Turbo cool down cycles also depend on how the turbo bearings are cooled. Some are water cooled, some are oil. The water cooled ones generally run at lower temperature than the oil cooled ones and most water cooling systems will allow thermal circulation of the water even if the engine is shut off.

My 80's Saabs required a 30 second or so idle after hard running before shutting down. My 98 VW manual doesn't even mention it.

/ turbo diesel tractor or not??? #9  
machmeter62 said:
Kentucky Bound Soon: In the general aviation industry, the turbocharged (gas) engines have about a 300 hour shorter life cycle than non turbos. It maybe the temperature and pressure thing; related to heating, cooling, expansion, and contraction of the moving parts, since the engines are air cooled.

A high altitude turbocharged air cooled gasoline engine has ABSOLUTELY nothing in common with a terrestial turbodiesel engine, so just ignore the fact that high altitude air cooled turbocharged gasoline engines have a 300 hour shorter life cyle than non turbocharged aviation gasoline engines. A terrestial turbodiesel will go thousands and thousands of hours before a rebuild is required, while an aviation turbocharged gasoline engine might make it a couple hundred...

/ turbo diesel tractor or not??? #10  
As usual they don't make things like they use to. The Deere 4230's (100hp) I use to drive had a 404ci 6 cyl turbo diesel in them. My BIL's grandson has a TS100 (about 100hp) with a 273ci 4 cyl turbo diesel. I couldn't find the torque numbers but I would guess the Deere had a log more of it. The HP rpm ratings were about the same, 2200.

These days it's all about hp and a souped up 4 banger. That poor NH TS100 even sounds like a VW Rabbet. :(