Mahindra 2615 HST or Kubota B2630

/ Mahindra 2615 HST or Kubota B2630 #1  

Gripguru

Hello everyone - new to the tractor world. I have never owned one before, but am in serious need. We have a little over 5 acres, relatively flat and will need to maintain by field mowing, cutting back blackberries, etc. Also, we have a small amount of landscaping that we would like to do - retaining walls (excavation required) and some scraping. I have been seriously looking at the Mahindra 2615 HST and the Kubota B2630. Aside from the obvious price difference, both dealers are the same distance from me. I am mostly concerned about performance, longevity, re-sale (hope I never need to) and ease of use...my wife is interested in working with it as well. Does anyone have suggestions, recommendations or experience that could point me in the right direction? Your help is most appreciated!!

/ Mahindra 2615 HST or Kubota B2630 #2  
You might try Ernies Imports, for the mahindra
we are having a clearance sale at the moment.
Ernie

/ Mahindra 2615 HST or Kubota B2630 #3  
Welcome to TBN Neighbor!

I have a 2615 Gear so I will say that I have been happy with the tractor and service I got from Valley View in Newberg.

The two tractors you are comparing are pretty close. If you plan on using a 5 Foot Brush hog you may find the 2630 to be just a little bit undersized. My 2615 Gear can get a little bogged down in high field grass (hood level stuff). Otherwise, it has been great on my five acres.

If you are concerned about resale value, service availability, and longevity then you may want to go with the Kubota. I suspect it is higher priced than the Mahindra and that is what you are paying for.

If you can afford it then go for the Kubota. If the 2630 was out two or so years ago I would have seriously considered it. At the time I was comparing to an L2800 and almost went with it but I just liked the Mahindra better after trying them both out.

The Mahindra 15 series is made by Mitsubishi and was previously sold by Cub Cadet. It has been around for probably 10 years and should have great parts availability for the forseeable future.

Good luck with your decision and post pictures when you buy!

/ Mahindra 2615 HST or Kubota B2630 #4  
As will be said a lot in the posts to follow, base your choice on how you feel about the dealership and the parts/service people who will be providing the maintainence stuff you'll need first. Then look at which tractor seems to fit you and your wife best -- the seats and controls all function well, but some seem made for people of different physiques than others. Then look at price of the tractor and also of commonly needed items like filters and such.

I looked hard at Mahindra, Kubota, NH, JD, Agco, and Case. It came down to Case vs. Mahindra and I swung toward Case. A big factor was the adjustable suspension seat and steering wheel on my DX over the Mahindra seat and fixed wheel. Another was the apparent strength of the steel in the bucket. The Mahindra guy was great, but he was a one man shop with no service department to speak of while the Case dealer was/is a 3 generation family business that moves a lot of equipment for 3 different brands, including Kubota. I ruled out Kubota despite owning one at the time and loving it because the seats just didn't feel good -- it seemed like I was sliding off when the thing was just sitting still and I have hilly ground -- and the controls didn't fall as easily to my hand/arm/foot/leg configuration as on the Case.

They're both good machines. You will quickly adapt to whichever one you get. Kubota has been around longer, but most of here would be surprized if Mahindra was not here to stay. You will age some and get kind of creaky as the years pass. Which one will work best then? It's a tough choice, so take your time and drive both of them, preferably back to back. See if either dealer will bring one out to your place for a test run on your ground. Ask around the community and look to see what other people are using.

/ Mahindra 2615 HST or Kubota B2630 #5  
Hard to go wrong with either the Mahindra or Kubota. In general the Kubota is optomized for mowing as it is lighter. The Mahindra is heavier so has an advantage for ground engaging tasks. If there is a nearby dealer you might also check out the Kioti CK25 which is similar size/power to the Mahindra but has the suspension seat and a few other goodies.