Opinions on Loaders, Curved vs Coventional

/ Opinions on Loaders, Curved vs Coventional #1  

CMunger

Gold Member
Some tractor manufactures are using curved boom loaders, and some are staying with the conventional (dog leg) style. I have heard allot of argument in favor of each style. John Deere has even done interbreed 1/2 curved/1/2 dog leg. Is it looks, some say safety? It comes up here and seems to be alot of different opinions, not as bad as hydro vs gear transmissions, but I think it is a topic that would be interesting to find peoples lodgical explanations on their likes and dislikes.

/ Opinions on Loaders, Curved vs Coventional #2  
I prefer the loader that offers the most visibility, all other things being roughly equal. Better visibility = faster work, safer work, more efficient work.

In compact tractors, the loaders that offer better visibility are typically the curved arm loaders. But not all curved arm loaders offer better visibility. The loaders on New Holland, Case, and the smaller Kiotis offer better visibility than other loaders when compared to tractors in their same size classes. However the Montana tractors also have curved arm loaders, but they are mounted so much higher that their rear mounts block visibilty almost as badly as a traditional dog-leg loader.

If I had my choice, I would buy a loader than was neither curved, nor dog leg. Take a look at industrial equipment loaders and you will see what I am talking about. Their loaders have almost straight arms that are steeply raked down toward the ground and offer excellent visibility. I've never understood why compact tractors don't have loaders designed like those.

/ Opinions on Loaders, Curved vs Coventional #3  
I think the reason compact tractor don't have straight loader arms has to do with steering angle and height. Maintain the same tower mount height and the front wheel turn angle would be sharply decreased by the path of straight loader arms. Raise the mount to allow the arms to clear the tires (like on a Ford or New Holland backhoe) and the tower mounts would be so high as to severly block visibility, unless the operator station were raised as well, but that would lead to an awfully high perch on a compact.

In comparison, most industrial wheel loaders are articulated.

/ Opinions on Loaders, Curved vs Coventional #4  
There are advantages and disadvantages to each. Some of those are a bit combined. Curved are loaders typically "reach" out in front of the tractor further than more traditional loaders. This is great is you NEED to reach. On the other side it reduces you lift capacity, and makes it more difficult to maneuver in tight spots. Further reach also means you have to have more ballast on the back to offset the longer effort arm. These are fairly minor issues to deal with when you have better visibility (which is also aided by the distance in front of the tractor) and can be overlooked. Curved arm loaders look great and offer added visibility, but have flaws like all equipment.

/ Opinions on Loaders, Curved vs Coventional #5  
ODT said:
And that is one more reason why Power Trac tractors are so much faster at loader work than traditional tractors :D If I had known about them before I invested money in conventional equipment, I'd very likely be operating PT equipement and now Kubota, New Holland and Cub.

People who have not used Power Tracs may never believe the claims made about the speed at which they can be worked. People who have operated them know they are not claims, they know them to be fact.

/ Opinions on Loaders, Curved vs Coventional #6  
while not a FEL expert, Ill toss my .02 in...

While not the most visiable i think my old school version is more compact making it easyer to manuver.

strength issuses aside, while curved arms may lead to better visibility, its usually because they stick out in front of you farther = more difficult to manuver (or at least more space to do the same manuvers)

all other things being equal, id rather have something that was easyer to manuver than easyer to see.

/ Opinions on Loaders, Curved vs Coventional #7  
ODT said:

that and stearable front axles arnt eays to design to carry metric but loads of weight. straight axles are very easy to design to carry gobs and gobs of weight meaning you have to come up with another way to stear the machine = articulated

/ Opinions on Loaders, Curved vs Coventional #8  
schmism said:
id rather have something that was easyer to manuver than easyer to see.
I'm not sure how hit could be easier to maneuver if you lose visibility, but to some extent I agree with your point.

Here is a reasonably good loader design. Better by a wide margin than the old dogleg style. Maybe this would be a good compromise between a curved loader and a dogleg loader? I think this loader is mounted a little higher than it needs to be, but it has a nice rake to the arms and the bucket is closer to the front wheels than you'd get on a curved arm loader. Still, my strong preference is for a loader that is not over the hood of the tractor any more than necessary. This loader is over the hood for its entire reach, still it is a nice improvement over many of the loaders on the market. Like I said, it looks like a good compromise between curved loaders and the old doglegs.

Attachments

• DSCF0067.JPG
    DSCF0067.JPG
    602 KB · Views: 551
   / Opinions on Loaders, Curved vs Coventional
A curved boom loader bucket must to be out futher to have the same reach as a conventional, it has a lower arch, and if the bucket were closer, it would not reach into a truck as well. Which brings up, how many people that buy these tractors use them for loading into a truck, feed bunker, etc., as a farm or construction tractor would.
Engineers are struggling with this. They have always tried to keep the bucket in as close to the front axles, to protect the front axles and keep more weight to the rear, yet design it when lifted, will have adequit, height and reach, hense the dog leg loader. Their biggest change has been the
mid-mount loader, it's been designed, where it fits lower on the tractor, but has greater lift height, and reach capabilites than the older 4 point/ pusher type. For consumers using it for themselves, they may like the appearance of the curved boom, the visability, and may work better for them.
We have to remember it was New Holland that started this with their Boomer, they had, to design something to work with their super steer axle, so the bucket Had to be out futher.
It also cost less to manufacture a curved boom loader.

/ Opinions on Loaders, Curved vs Coventional #10  
I sure do like that loader...:D