4WD: Advantages/disadvantages

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #151  
Wow.. so your's is a gas job. I wouldn't mind ownig a gas 5000. Mines diesel. The gas units are rated at 71 net hp at 2100 rpm. The diesel are rated at 70 net hp at 2100 rpm. The gas pto hp is 67.2 at rated rpm, and 67.3 at rated rpm for a diesel. That is for the late diesel.. etc. Mine is the late one .. 1975.

The rusty hyd cyls. well.. those are a loss.. not much to do for them. Leaky fuel valves ont he thousand seris are common.. valves go fo 25-40$

Here's a before pic of my unit. It had always sat outside an uncovered as well...

Soundguy

Dargo said:
By the picture, I can tell they are the same unit but, believe me, they do not look the same. The 5000 in the family here has always sat outside uncovered. Also, it has an FEL and BH on it. It was parked for years with the cylinders on each exposed. Now they are all rusted. After several hours of trying to get it started, both ends leaked very badly and had no power at all. The gas tank was leaking gas on my feet and on top of the engine, etc. etc. The 8N isn't as bad, but everything on it is extremely loose; steering, pedals, tranny, front end, and anything else that moves. The 3 pt. hitch will only stay up for about 2 or 3 seconds. Also, I think I mentioned that there is also an old Ferguson, but it has a rod sticking through the side of the block, yet it still turns over; without moving that rod. Broken crank as well?

Anyway, the other part owner thinks they are worth a fortune. As I said, each cost me time and money to just to move them. He thinks the old 5000 is worth $6000, the 8N $3500, and the Ferguson $2500. And, that is "as is", in their current condition. Personally, I think he's nuts. Right now they are just yard ornaments since nobody is willing to pay anywhere close that much for them and he refuses to sell them for any less.

Attachments

• atpurchase1.jpg
    atpurchase1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 147
   / 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #152  
To stay a little on topic, all three are 2wd. :) Honestly, I had no idea that the 5000 had that much hp! And, yes, it is most certainly a gas burner; as are the other two. Still, in the condition I described, (which is far worse than what yours was when you bought it) don't you think the prices I mentioned are just way high? To me, I would think that being gas powered would severely kill the value of the 5000.

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages
Umm, we seem to have strayed off topic a bit. That's okay though. Carry on guys.:D

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #154  
Dargo said:
To stay a little on topic, all three are 2wd. :) Honestly, I had no idea that the 5000 had that much hp! And, yes, it is most certainly a gas burner; as are the other two. Still, in the condition I described, (which is far worse than what yours was when you bought it) don't you think the prices I mentioned are just way high? To me, I would think that being gas powered would severely kill the value of the 5000.

I paid 6800$ for my diesel, in the condition you saw it. I have seen them .. working.. with good paint for that price ange.. and almost had bought one for 8000$ that had been totally rebuilt head to toe.. no bolt left unturned.. etc..

I've seen them go for 3500$ 'ran when parked' to about 5000$ range.. for really beat but cranks and runs.

These are all diesel with wide fronts and 8spd trannies mind you.

There were narrow fronts... gas engines, and 10 spd SOS trannies.

Here are the big issues:

Power steering... there was an old and new style... old style gets loose.. and is impossible to adjust at the front bolster due to no parts.. only recourse is to buy parts for the new style... a tad spendy.. but then.. what ain't? Pow steer pump old and new oem style is no longer serviced.. however there is a quite adequate repalcement that works fine.

I'd rather have a working ( not loose ) manual steering unit than the old style power steering.. if you catch my drift..

Narrow front... no inherrent problems.. just real rare.. and not as usefull for most work.. be a great collector item...

10spd SOS... Most of the sos problems were worked out before the 5000 came out.. however.. the lack of shops that will work on the SOS.. the high degree of maintenance it requires to keep it working, and the general fear and loathing of most ford owners of the SOS.. caused by many early SOS failures.. really tends to devalue a 5000 with a 10speed. Though.. if ya got one and it works good.. just keep it maintained.. and it will probably continue working good. main problem.. is that you can abuse just about every other part of the tractor and it will work fine for 30 ys.. .. however.. the SOS tranny is real picky...

Gas engine.. not as common to find one... have to look for parts but they are out there... Biggest problem is the manifold... no gas manifolds exist outside of salvage units.. or collectors. There was an article in an antique mag on how to make a gas manifold using a diesel, and lots of brazing, cutting and welding...

I wouldn't mind owing a gasser for collector purposes ( a NF would be nice too ). The gassers were a tad easier to start in the cold due to much lower compression..

To the original question.. a super beat 5000 gasser with non working attachments.. yep.. 6k$ is abit high.

Soundguy

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #155  
Soundguy said:
I paid 6800$ for my diesel, in the condition you saw it. I have seen them .. working.. with good paint for that price ange.. and almost had bought one for 8000$ that had been totally rebuilt head to toe.. no bolt left unturned.. etc..

I've seen them go for 3500$ 'ran when parked' to about 5000$ range.. for really beat but cranks and runs.

These are all diesel with wide fronts and 8spd trannies mind you.

There were narrow fronts... gas engines, and 10 spd SOS trannies.

Here are the big issues:

Power steering... there was an old and new style... old style gets loose.. and is impossible to adjust at the front bolster due to no parts.. only recourse is to buy parts for the new style... a tad spendy.. but then.. what ain't? Pow steer pump old and new oem style is no longer serviced.. however there is a quite adequate repalcement that works fine.

I'd rather have a working ( not loose ) manual steering unit than the old style power steering.. if you catch my drift..

Narrow front... no inherrent problems.. just real rare.. and not as usefull for most work.. be a great collector item...

10spd SOS... Most of the sos problems were worked out before the 5000 came out.. however.. the lack of shops that will work on the SOS.. the high degree of maintenance it requires to keep it working, and the general fear and loathing of most ford owners of the SOS.. caused by many early SOS failures.. really tends to devalue a 5000 with a 10speed. Though.. if ya got one and it works good.. just keep it maintained.. and it will probably continue working good. main problem.. is that you can abuse just about every other part of the tractor and it will work fine for 30 ys.. .. however.. the SOS tranny is real picky...

Gas engine.. not as common to find one... have to look for parts but they are out there... Biggest problem is the manifold... no gas manifolds exist outside of salvage units.. or collectors. There was an article in an antique mag on how to make a gas manifold using a diesel, and lots of brazing, cutting and welding...

I wouldn't mind owing a gasser for collector purposes ( a NF would be nice too ). The gassers were a tad easier to start in the cold due to much lower compression..

To the original question.. a super beat 5000 gasser with non working attachments.. yep.. 6k$ is abit high.

Soundguy
Nice job on the restoration, but anything with the Lucas name for electrical componets, I wouldn't use as bragging rights! I had a 52' MG/TD with it and had as many miles towing and pushing, as driving it, because of the Lucas igniton. Many others had the same problem. Is your engine a PerKins Diesel, which I think is one of the best!

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #156  
Ford engine.. all the way...

Lucas gennies.. though not awesome or rugged.. do work. the lucas VR is a little flaky though. However.. a ford regulator from a hundred series diesel will make a good retrofit if you watch the charging amps.. as the oem lucas charge limited at 20a.. whereas the ford will charge limit at 25a.. thus you can easilly overwork the genny if you mix-n-match regulators.

Since this is a diesel.. the lucas electrics don't scare me as bad.. I know she'll get home.. even if the lamps don't work..

Soundguy

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #157  
Soundguy,
That's a nice 5000 you got there. Those tractors were studs. Lots of farmers around here used them back in the day. We never owned one but I always wanted one to go with our D-17's. With pop selling AC's, well...you understand.

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #158  
Soundguy said:

Soundguy

Oh, oh, you just made me think of something! And, it's going to make you laugh!! When we went to move that old 5000 into one of the old barns on their property is when I discovered that the FEL and BH were shot. They only raised briefly and then spewed fluid everywhere. Anyway, I used my tractor to drag it into the barn. Guess what?! That old beast is heavy!! My tractor sat on concrete and spun the rear tires, so.....I had to use 4wd. I was then able to drag it into the barn where it sits to this day. :)

Now, tell me you didn't laugh at that one! And, it was even on topic! :D

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #159  
LOL, you had to use 4WD to move that 2WD clunker! :D