4WD: Advantages/disadvantages

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #21  
The best advantage I can think of is that a 4 wheel drive tractor can be a 2 wheel drive when you want, not visa versa.

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #23  
No one has mentioned the safety aspect. In 4wd, you get 4 wheel brakes, as the brakes work only on the rear wheels but transfer to the fronts via the 4wd mechanism.

Ralph

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages
RalphVa said:
No one has mentioned the safety aspect. In 4wd, you get 4 wheel brakes, as the brakes work only on the rear wheels but transfer to the fronts via the 4wd mechanism.

I'm not quite following you there. I believe you, but I can't visualize what you're talking about. I'm sure it's different from 4-wheel disc brakes as in a car.

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #25  
Huh. Well, huh. Makes sense, the more that I think about it. Huh and huh. I guess I'm glad I'm getting the 4WD. Oh! Oh! And oh! If only the darned thing had been, I don't know, free or something! Oh!

charlesw said:
Huh. Well, huh. Makes sense, the more that I think about it. Huh and huh. I guess I'm glad I'm getting the 4WD. Oh! Oh! And oh! If only the darned thing had been, I don't know, free or something! Oh!

?:confused: ?

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #27  
Glowplug said:

:) Just saying that my "new" tractor is going to cost me a lot of money. I'll get over it. When it's paid for. In 15 years. Ouch!

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #28  
Glowplug,
What Ralphva was trying to say is when you are in 4wd the front tires are connected with the front drive shaft and as you hit the rear brakes all four tires will stop the tractor. There are no brakes on the front but the front drive shaft attacthed to the front axle makes it like four wheel braking. Hope I explained this clearly..

No one has really touched on steering and turning radius. It may be because it's not really an issue. But I know when I have my Dodge Ram in 4WD the steering "feel" is much different. Is this true with tractors? Is it enough of a negative factor to consider not getting 4WD?

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #30  
Glowplug said:
No one has really touched on steering and turning radius. It may be because it's not really an issue. But I know when I have my Dodge Ram in 4WD the steering "feel" is much different. Is this true with tractors? Is it enough of a negative factor to consider not getting 4WD?

Sure the steering can be different depending on the surface. If your on dry or even wet asphalt, concrete etc., you need to have you tractor (and your truck) out of 4WD. If your in mud, the feeling is less noticeable unless you count better turning ability in favor of 4WD. The turning radius is similar on 2WD and 4WD on many tractors.