Kubotas

/ Kubotas #1  

RussMan

Silver Member
Tractor
B3030 w/ FEL and 72" midmt
I am in the market for a small tractor - 25-30 hp. for 13 acreas I recently purchased. I am considering Kubota, JD, Mahindra (although from the specs seems to be a heavy tractor), and possibly Kioti.

What is the difference between the Kubota 3030 and the Kubota 7800 - they both seem fairly similar to me?

Also, do all small tractors (25-30 hp) have a glow plug or is something I need to be mindful of when I buy?

/ Kubotas #2  
Depending on what your tasks are, heavy might be exactly what you need. Weight is your friend for digging and ground engagement. Most tractors will lose traction before they run out of power. Weight lets you maximize power to the ground. For backhoeing, a light tractor will get thrown around more , thereby reducing your efficiency. However, Weight is not your friend for finish mowing, soft turf, or towing (the tractor). Not good for you toe either.

I'm no bota expert. I'm sure there will be comments from those who are. But, the 3030 to me seems to be way more tractor than the 7800. I have always looked at the 7800 as a BX24 with Big/long legs. The 7800 is also pretty narrow, and that scares me. Though there are uses where this is an advantage.

Glow plugs are a must if you live in cold climates and are looking at diesels. I think most "modern" diesels use glow plugs. You should test drive all the models you list, plus NH, MF, Case, Branson, and TYM. Your choice should be based on intended uses and dealer support. Ergonomics and such are personal choices that should also be considered. But, you won't know if you don't test them out.

/ Kubotas #3  
RussMan said:
I am in the market for a small tractor - 25-30 hp. for 13 acreas I recently purchased. I am considering Kubota, JD, Mahindra (although from the specs seems to be a heavy tractor), and possibly Kioti.

What is the difference between the Kubota 3030 and the Kubota 7800 - they both seem fairly similar to me?

Also, do all small tractors (25-30 hp) have a glow plug or is something I need to be mindful of when I buy?

Need to know what you plan to do with your 13 acres.

A 30hp CUT with a 5-ft wide front end loader (FEL) will get most of your chores done after you get hold of the necessary attachments: rotary mower (aka brush hog), box blade, scraper, rototiller, etc. All of the major brands have nice models in this hp range. You need to test drive the ones you've zeroed in on before making that buy decision.

I have a little 21-hp Kubota B7510 HST (4WD and hydrostatic transmission) with a 4-ft wide LA302 FEL that I bought new in June05. I mow 7 of my 10 acres (flat pasture land) with a 4-ft wide King Kutter brush hog. Takes about 1.5 hours per acre going slow in low range on the HST.

With the FEL and a 4-ft wide KK box blade, I can handle most of my toting, digging, excavating jobs, so far. Any backhoe work I hire out since there are plenty of guys and gals around here with big tractor/loader/backhoes (TLBs) for hire who charge reasonably. YOu can also rent TLBs locally fairly cheaply if you're a DIY type.

If you want to do a lot of tillage/plowing, you're going to need more horsepower. For tilling/plowing I have a 1966 MF-135 diesel (45-hp engine) that I bought last July.

So far I have about $18K invested in tractors/attachments, and counting.

/ Kubotas #4  
The most significant difference between the B3030 and the B7800, from my standpoint, is that the B3030 has Position Control for the 3 pt. hitch while the B7800 has a Quarter-Inching valve. PC is much better than Q-I. Check my past posts to get an understanding of the difference.

Other than that, there are some 'deluxe tractor' niceties that seem to keep the B3030 guys happy. If the difference between the two models is less than $1500, I'd say the B3030 is the obvious choice.
Bob

/ Kubotas #5  
The B3030 has 1 hp more at the pto, also has hydraulic independent pto, 7800 has live continuous, 3030 has telescoping sway arms 7800 has turnbuckles, 3030 also has ratchet (built in) implement leveler and telescoping lower links 7800 does not. I think the cruse on the 3030 is better, position control is way better than QI, better lights for sure. You get a lot more options for a few more dollars with the B3030.

/ Kubotas #6  
coasterez said:
Glow plugs are a must if you live in cold climates and are looking at diesels. I think most "modern" diesels use glow plugs.

You know... My modern diesel (NH 3930) doesn't have glow plugs. My dealer said something weird about the technology it uses and which comes close to being the same thing. But, oddly enough, I don't see any mention of this in my operator's manual. I guess it doesn't really matter since I use a block heater anyway... Oh, right, but, seriously, no glow plugs. And it starts fine down to freezing even without the block heater... I'm not going to test it below that temp without the heater for you - sorry!

/ Kubotas #7  
charlesw said:
You know... My modern diesel (NH 3930) doesn't have glow plugs. My dealer said something weird about the technology it uses and which comes close to being the same thing.

My NH TN70A does not have glow plugs either. Has a heater for the fuel. I have not used it yet (down to 20 degree F). I will see what o degrees F does to starting!
Bob

/ Kubotas #8  
doesn't have glow plugs

To the best of my knowledge Direct Injection Diesels do not have glow plugs. Glow plugs may be found on Indirect injection diesels.

It has something to do with the combustion chamber design.

/ Kubotas #9  
Egon said:
To the best of my knowledge Direct Injection Diesels do not have glow plugs. Glow plugs may be found on Indirect injection diesels.

It has something to do with the combustion chamber design.

My direct injection engines (kubota) has them.

/ Kubotas #10  
Blksim said:
My direct injection engines (kubota) has them.

Mine too.

To the original poster, you might ought to look at the Kubota L3400. The gear drive version is a lot of tractor for the money.