Woods Backhoe

/ Woods Backhoe #1  

tractorkid

Lately I have been thinking about doing a lot of landscaping around our property myself. I have a Case DX26 with a front loader, but am now thinking about a backhoe. My thought is to use it for digging holes for planting trees, digging up rocks in the yard, digging up stumps, and using it to cut down some hight spots/general grading that is too much for the loader in the yard. I am thinking of the Woods BH70-X, which i believe would cost around $6000. Has anyone used this hoe on their tractors around my size, and if so, does it perform well. What do or don't you like about it. And is $6000 the right price range, I haven't fully looked into it, but i believe my dealer said it would be around that when I asked a while ago. Thanks in advance for your help. I think it is something I would like to get, but would like to hear how people feel about their performance. I think is it too small and therefore not worth it, but then I see what people do with their subcompacts and backhoes and think this one, being bigger should work fine for my needs. We have rocky, new england soil if that makes a difference. Thanks.

/ Woods Backhoe #2  
That would be about the right price (it's been a while since I bought my BH9000) for a BH70 with self contained PTO hydraulics and a sub-frame. I highly recommend the self contained hydraulic option. Overall I think Woods makes a great BH

/ Woods Backhoe #3  
Your price sounds about right for New England... I payed 6700.0 for the Woods 80x this summer..It works very well with my Ck30.....

/ Woods Backhoe #4  
I paid $9500 for a Woods 1050 (10.5 foot) 4 years ago in Conn.

Andy

/ Woods Backhoe
Thanks for the responses. How about functionality. Will this backhoe serve the proposed uses, or will I be dissapionted. For all of you with this size tractor and backhoe combination, are you happy with it, as long as you have time, does it do everything you ask it to do. Thanks

/ Woods Backhoe #6  
I have a Kubota B7500 with a Kubota backhoe. I believe that your DX26 is around 200-300 lb. heavier with more HP, but is otherwise a similarly sized tractor. My backhoe has plenty of hydraulic power, but it pushes my tractor around too much because the tractor is not heavy enough. I recently had an opportunity to work my tractor side by side with a friend's Ford 1710 tractor, which had a Woods 750 backhoe. The Ford is heavier, did not move around nearly as much, and was more productive and satisfying to operate. Based upon my experience with the Woods 750, I'm sure the BH70-X would be great. But, knowing what I know now, if I wanted to do the kinds of tasks you mentioned, I would want a heavier tractor (about 1,000 lb. heavier) to attach it to. Just my $0.02

/ Woods Backhoe #7  
tractorkid said:
Thanks for the responses. How about functionality. Will this backhoe serve the proposed uses, or will I be dissapionted. For all of you with this size tractor and backhoe combination, are you happy with it, as long as you have time, does it do everything you ask it to do. Thanks[/QUOTE

Unless it is rocky soil, you may be satisfied with the hoe for your conditions. I feel for my life style; the backhoe rates the same with me as the loader does. I have used mine for many home improvements, besides digging holes and ditches!! You will also find other uses for it in any type of construction environment. Since your tractor maybe smaller; it will do the job, but taking smaller bites will require more time. Bigger and heavier is better, but if you have use for one now, go for it! They are a very useful tool, and you will probably be creating more jobs for it than you realize. Smaller also has advantages, because you can get into more confining areas than a larger unit.

/ Woods Backhoe #8  
I haven't read all the posts, but don't try and save money with the three point mount; get the hoe that has a sub-frame so your tractor stays in one piece!! You might want to read the threads on TBN about the three point backhoes? Good luck on your decision.