Kubota Glide Shift Tranny vs. John Deere PowerReverser

/ Kubota Glide Shift Tranny vs. John Deere PowerReverser #1  

CWP37

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5103 w/ 512 LDR
I went and drove both of these today and really preferred the Kubota GST. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of these two trannys?

/ Kubota Glide Shift Tranny vs. John Deere PowerReverser #2  
I've had both and I have no preference. However, in their hydro tractors, I strongly prefer the JD hydro. I have a really bad dislike for the single pedal Kubota uses. I think the two pedal hydro setup on JD is far superior. But on the Glide Shift vs the PowerReverser, I don't see how they perform differently at all. :confused: Why did you prefer the Kubota? Just in case you think you'll offend me, I'll tell you that I currently have three different tractors which include both a Kubota and a JD.

/ Kubota Glide Shift Tranny vs. John Deere PowerReverser
The Kubota was easier to operate. When I say easier, I mean simpler for someone to just get on and start going. Also, I liked the fact that I could just slide up to the next few gears without clutching or thinking about changing form A to B to C range.

That being said, I suppose the true purpose of these transmissions is for loader work in which you'd be going from forward to reverse, not as much up and down shifting.

/ Kubota Glide Shift Tranny vs. John Deere PowerReverser #4  
Isn't the kubota gst basically a power reverser type transmission with the luxury of adding the ability to shift to the next gear without clutching? Previously had 3710 kubota gst with 8 gear settings and it is nice being able to shift without clutching or if you perfer, clutch and shift. Have not driven the newer 12 gear setting tractors but from what I hear the change between gear shifts is less noticeable and smoother. The ultimate shifting is in our larger ag tractors which allow clutchless shifting which is nearly seamless. My prior gst was somewhat crude when shifting with load on tranmission due to hesitation between shifts and jerky trasition between gears.

/ Kubota Glide Shift Tranny vs. John Deere PowerReverser #5  
There are technical differences in the, but that's all the hidden engineer stuff. The reality is both are reliable, capable transmissions that will give thousands and thousands of hours of service. Differences are in how the user interacts with the controls. Some will like the JD setup and some will like the K better.

Like on the HST, Dargo dis-likes the boomerang and likes the 2 peddle. I, on the other hand have just the opposite opinion. Nobody is wrong, we are both right and both happy. Which ever you like is the one for you.

jb

/ Kubota Glide Shift Tranny vs. John Deere PowerReverser
I guess that's the real answer I wanted. If they're both reliable, then it's just a personal preference.

/ Kubota Glide Shift Tranny vs. John Deere PowerReverser #7  
john_bud said:
Like on the HST, Dargo dis-likes the boomerang and likes the 2 peddle. I, on the other hand have just the opposite opinion. Nobody is wrong, we are both right and both happy. Which ever you like is the one for you.

I agree with you to John. I have the JD twin and the Kubota single "treadle". I like the single just fine. The twin is fine two. I have yet to ever get reversed mixed up with the Kubota, the JD on occasion. I much prefer the HST on Kubota over JD, at least back in 2003 when I got my tractor. Smoother all around.

Kubota makes shuttle shift tractors or as JD calls it, "Power Reverser". They also have GST which does more then eliminate the clutch, it gets you into a new gear faster.