Looking for advice on tractor purchase

/ Looking for advice on tractor purchase #1  

plaincowboy

Hey guys, I'm new here but have been watching and reading for a few weeks now. I just purchased a 30+ acre farm in the mtns of southern West Virginia and have started to shop around for a tractor. Let me first give some details of the property and then I will explain my needs with the tractor.

The property is of course not flat given that it's in WV, but the terrain is somewhat gentle to rolling at 3000' in elevation. I have about 10 acres of pasture and the remainder is wooded with timber averaging in size from poles to mature sawtimber 16-18 inches at breast height.

My needs for the tractor will be the following. First is clearing more acreage, all of it eventually. I plan on harvesting the timber and I need a tractor to skid it out. The longest skidding distance I should have would be around 100 yards. I do understand the dangers of harvesting timber as I am a forester working in the timber harvesting field. Secondly is building new fence. The old fence is junk and I plan on putting high tensil fence rather than the old barbwire. Therefore, the tractor will be used for post driving. I plan on running cattle on this land and will need the tractor for feeding round bales and possibly some cutting and baling hay on leased properties elsewhere. The tractor will also be used for snow removal given the elevation of this property.

Now the deals I've came up with thus far:

Branson 4720i, 0 hours, 4x4, front end loader, remotes, used 6' bush hog, used woods blade, calcium filled tires and extended wheel base for $21,000 w/4 year warranty.
My concern with this tractor is that just doesn't seem big enough. However, this dealer seems to be one that cares about his customers very much.

New Holland TN65, 4x4, front end loader, 800+ hours, for $18,500. This dealer is a nice enough guy, but is your typical salesman. He offered no extra goodies with this tractor.

Massey Furgesson 551, 0 hours, 4x4, front end loader, for $27,000
This dealer was pretty darn arrogant and I think he's a little over priced.

I know some about tractors, but this is my first purchase and I don't want to get burnt. I also want to make sure I get what I need to get the job done. So do any of these sounds like good deals or should I keep looking?

Thanks,
AMR

/ Looking for advice on tractor purchase #2  
What do your neighbors have? Might be a good indication of size tractor you need if you can find someone in area with same type land/acreage you have. Does it have to be new? Check classifieds for used, drive the back roads and see if you see any old iron prospects that would work.

/ Looking for advice on tractor purchase #3  
Sounds like haying/handling equipment may be the deciding factor for size.

My only suggestion is to look/shop and be aware of parts availability in your area. Broken tractor waiting parts with hay down and ready to bale is one senario to think about. :D

/ Looking for advice on tractor purchase #4  
Hills/ 4wd for sure.. Clearing? loader and 4wd for sure.

Hp? 35 and up. ( 35 is onthe light side.. but can get er done with time ). High side limit is probbaly int he 50-60 hp range as you don't want to get too big or you loose manuverability inthe woods. If the manuverability isn't a problem.. then that opens you up to the utility and smal ag tractors.

If you have the room and money.. it's hard to go to big. I have only 13 ac and have a 95hp tractor, a 70 hp, a a handfull of CUT sized ones.. Size your tractor to the main job it will do.
Larger tractors are not as easy to fence with... if you have manuverability problems.. however. if it is all open.. you got it made.

Some people even prefer to get a new/newish SCUT and a used utility/ag tractor... Sometimes works out to thesame money as a new utility.. etc.

Soundguy

plaincowboy said:
Hey guys, I'm new here but have been watching and reading for a few weeks now. I just purchased a 30+ acre farm in the mtns of southern West Virginia and have started to shop around for a tractor. Let me first give some details of the property and then I will explain my needs with the tractor.

The property is of course not flat given that it's in WV, but the terrain is somewhat gentle to rolling at 3000' in elevation. I have about 10 acres of pasture and the remainder is wooded with timber averaging in size from poles to mature sawtimber 16-18 inches at breast height.

My needs for the tractor will be the following. First is clearing more acreage, all of it eventually. I plan on harvesting the timber and I need a tractor to skid it out. The longest skidding distance I should have would be around 100 yards. I do understand the dangers of harvesting timber as I am a forester working in the timber harvesting field. Secondly is building new fence. The old fence is junk and I plan on putting high tensil fence rather than the old barbwire. Therefore, the tractor will be used for post driving. I plan on running cattle on this land and will need the tractor for feeding round bales and possibly some cutting and baling hay on leased properties elsewhere. The tractor will also be used for snow removal given the elevation of this property.

Now the deals I've came up with thus far:

Branson 4720i, 0 hours, 4x4, front end loader, remotes, used 6' bush hog, used woods blade, calcium filled tires and extended wheel base for $21,000 w/4 year warranty.
My concern with this tractor is that just doesn't seem big enough. However, this dealer seems to be one that cares about his customers very much.

New Holland TN65, 4x4, front end loader, 800+ hours, for $18,500. This dealer is a nice enough guy, but is your typical salesman. He offered no extra goodies with this tractor.

Massey Furgesson 551, 0 hours, 4x4, front end loader, for $27,000
This dealer was pretty darn arrogant and I think he's a little over priced.

I know some about tractors, but this is my first purchase and I don't want to get burnt. I also want to make sure I get what I need to get the job done. So do any of these sounds like good deals or should I keep looking?

Thanks,
AMR

/ Looking for advice on tractor purchase #5  
You definitely need a "real" tractor!! With hills, elevation, baling, and timber work 4WD is a must. For skidding timber you are going to need something with some ummpph and traction. You may need a 3ph logging winch. Definitely FEL for bails. You do have a little elevation. I know you're not 12,000 ft but you may want to consider a turbo. AG tires. Check and see what dealers are in your area. Of the ones you mentioned the NH TN65 and Massey both sound pretty good but if you can't stand the dealer it's not any good at all. To be honest, I've never heard of Branson. If the woods aren't an issue with being confining I would look at a minimum of 60hp.

Just don't let someone tell you that a Kubota BX will get it done but may take a little longer.;) :D

Last edited:
   / Looking for advice on tractor purchase #6  
Be sure to check Mahindra & Kioti too and maybe Montana if there are any dealers close. They all have quality products in the HP range you need. As much logging as you are talking, I would lean towards a DK65 or Mahindra 6500.

/ Looking for advice on tractor purchase #7  
BTW, I forgot to give you a warm welcome to TBN!!

As somewhat of an aside. . .you don't really need a ton of PTO hp to run a 3ph mount PTO-driven post-hole digger. But if you are considering putting in a lot of fence posts you may want to consider a hydraulic driven FEL mount PHD.

As far as your tractor choice goes. . .I'm a Kubota fan. If it were me I would consider a Kubota M7040 or M8540. Of course, that's assuming there's a Kubota dealer nearby.

Good luck with your choice.
Don't forget, TBN members like to spend other people's money.;)

/ Looking for advice on tractor purchase #8  
Look at the montana 70 horse It is a failry small footprint and I believe that it has the john deere engine. If i was going to be haying and stuff like that plus feeding in the winter. I would buy a cab. My wife insisted that I buy one with my 49 horse montana. I told her I did not need a cab but she twisted my arm. Now I am so glad I let her talk me into that

/ Looking for advice on tractor purchase #9  
gemini5362 said:
I would buy a cab. My wife insisted that I buy one with my 49 horse montana. I told her I did not need a cab but she twisted my arm. Now I am so glad I let her talk me into that

Man, I wish I had a wife like that!! My wife keeps trying to talk me down from the monster tractor I want!!:D

/ Looking for advice on tractor purchase #10  
plaincowboy said:
I just purchased a 30+ acre farm in the mtns of southern West Virginia and have started to shop around for a tractor. I have about 10 acres of pasture and the remainder is wooded with timber averaging in size from poles to mature sawtimber 16-18 inches at breast height.

My needs for the tractor will be the following. First is clearing more acreage, all of it eventually. I plan on harvesting the timber and I need a tractor to skid it out. The longest skidding distance I should have would be around 100 yards. I do understand the dangers of harvesting timber as I am a forester working in the timber harvesting field.

AMR

My choice would be either the NH or the MF. Any 50+ hp ag utility tractor would be suitable for 30 acres. Like somebody said, you could do it with 35 hp, but 50+ would make it a whole lot easier. Please don't take the following rant personally.

RANT MODE ON

If you try to clear your 30 acres with your tractor, you are going to rag it out in 1000 hours or less. CUT's and ag utility tractors just aren't made for that kind of work. I see people on here all the time talking about "clearing land" with their tractors. Now pushing up a pile of brush is one thing, but pushing up trees with 6" to 8" trunks will soon take its toll on even a 40-50 hp true ag-utility. If all these people are really "clearing land" with their CUT's, then there are some ruined tractors. I have seen tractors that people did this with. I had a salesman try to sell me one, a NH 60 hp or so unit, with less than 800 hrs on it. It would have been a wonderful deal, except that the tractor had been basically ruined. The front end was shot, and all the bushings and bearings on the loader were sloppy. When I asked the salesman what the previous owner had done with it, he told me he had cleared several residential building lots with it. You are a forester. Take a look at the equipment normally used for skidding logs out. There is a lot of protection for the operator. Unless your tractor has a cab, you aren't going to have that kind of protection. If it does have a cab, it will be trashed in just a short while. I have seen skidders wedge a limb between a stump and the log they are pulling, stand it up and whack it down across the protective structure. You spoke of saw-timber with 18" trunks at breast height. I don't believe the average (4wd) 50hp ag-utility tractor would skid a green 18 inch 20 foot log except under the best conditions.

RANT MODE OFF

Welcome to TBN! There is lots of good advice on here. Lots of good folks, too. Merry Christmas!

Mark