Help! New Compact Tractor

/ Help! New Compact Tractor #1  

SOS

Silver Member
Tractor
NH 45 A (2006)
I need opinions as I don't want to make the same mistake twice! I'm looking to buy a new tractor as my current 38-hp China tractor has become too much to maintain, find parts, & is generally a lemon. I have 13 acers, hilly, with a lot of woods & a long road to the property to maintain. I'm looking at the following tractors & my budget is about $25 K w/ FEL:
- Kubota L34 or 3830
- JD 3520
- New Holland TC 35 or 40

Is this big enough?
Is my Price range right?

Are their any web pages comparing prices, quality, etc? Like consumer reports for Tractors? What are your opinions?
My selection criteria are:
- Strong equipment (heavy lifting & pulling)
- Easy to get maintenance/repairs
- Long lasting (My wife will not let me buy another one for 15 yrs)
- Reliable
- Price

Last edited:
   / Help! New Compact Tractor #3  
SOS said:
My selection criteria are:
- Strong equipment (heavy lifting & pulling)
- Easy to get maintenance/repairs
- Long lasting (My wife will not let me buy another one for 15 yrs)
- Reliable
- Price

All I can tell you is my own experience. I have a Kubota L4400 4wd:

-Strong? Seems to be. Done everything it should do and done a lot of work that it wasn't made for too. No problems so far. I've broken some things (radiator punctured by branch, but nothing that any other machine would be immune to. Just due to freak accident.) The repair was cheap and easy.

-Maintenance? Well, no problems so far but a lot of that is going to depend on the brand and how close by a reliable dealer is. It is a very simple, very basic tractor, should be easy to work on. The routine things that I have done are very simple, easy to access.

-Long Lasting? Only time will tell. Only had it a year and a half. The reputation of the brand you buy is about all you can go on. Any of the big three should be fine. Any number of the newer imports would likely be fine as well.

-Reliable? Again, no problems yet. Sarts up quick every time. Works as advertised plus a lot more.

-Price? About $19,000 with FEL, 4WD, and rear remotes added at the dealer.

/ Help! New Compact Tractor #4  
Afternoon SOS,
Welcome to TBN ! A lot of good information on here and a bunch of people willing to help you spend your hard earned money ;) :)

You might add onto your look list the Massey Ferguson 1540, there are a bunch of guys on here that have one and they all seem quite happy !

/ Help! New Compact Tractor #5  
I can't help much on the durability part as I have'nt had mine very long. I have an MX5000. It's very impressive as for as power. I paid $22,740 for fel, 2 rear remotes, and swap to R4 tires. I pull a 6ft. box blade w/hyd. scarifiers and a 7ft. grademaster that weighs 975lbs. So for it has done everything I've wanted to do. Hope this helps in any way.
Wayne

/ Help! New Compact Tractor #6  
I believe you when you said your chinese tractor was junk,but tell us more about it,,38 h.p.,don't remember hearing of one with 38 h.p.,what brand is it,how old is it,must be an older no longer selling brand,people are buying chinese tractors every day or so,and probably most don't type on here,it would still be good to get the brand and other info so others don't buy one,,,my chinese tractor runs just fine after 560 hours,,have never needed any parts other than what I could get at an auto store,but there are several places that sell every thing on most popular brands,,,thingy

/ Help! New Compact Tractor #7  
I have a John Deere 3320 and really like it. I have a 1976 model 4630 John Deere farm tractor which is 180 hp. It is 30 years old and going strong so I am confident of the reliability. At least with JD, if something breaks, you will get parts and someone who knows how to fix it.

The 3320 is the same frame as the 3520 you are looking at. The 3320 has a few more cubic inches in the engine but the 3530 has a turbo which gives you about another 5 hp. I didn't think the 5 hp was worth the extra $1700. I have the CX loader with heavy duty bucket and it will pick up anything I can put in it whether it be rock (of any size), limestone, sand or dirt.

The one feature the JD has over the rest is the Load Match. The Load Match (when activated) sends a signal to the e-hydro transmission and keeps the engine going at whatever rpm's you have it set for while slowing the tractors motion (when needed) to give you more torque. It is great when loading your bucket, the tractor may slow down to next to nothing while you are digging but the engine speed stays constant. I chose the 3320 partially on that feature alone.

I checked out the John Deere, New Holland, Case IH, Kubota and Chinese (Rural King) tractors. I found, by far, the most features on the JD. The Chinese tractors are about half the price but no one around here has had any luck with them. I know several people who work at the Rural King (a farm and home store) and everyone of the tractors come back for repair. Some even have to be fixed before they are sold.

The price on the other tractors are all about the same except the Case IH was about $2000 higher. I figure the JD was a premium tractor at, or less, the same price as the others. To me it was a no brainer. I really like the platform and seat which is laid out very well. The controls and gauges are laid out very well and it is the most comfortable (for me) to drive. I really like the separate hydro pedals that operate with your toe as opposed to the treadle foot control, which for me, was extremely awkward. However, there are a lot of Kubota's in the area and think most people are satisfied with them also.

As far as price. I got the 32.5 hp 3320 with e-hydro, R4 tires, 4 wheel drive cx loader, heavy duty bucket, grill guard, optional rear work light, automotive style cruise control, I-match (quick hitch) and 7 foot Frontier blade for $19.500.

/ Help! New Compact Tractor
Here is an update:
  • I just looked at a New Holland 45 D w/ FEL -- the quote was 23,600 on the 40 D they would give it to me at $22,300.
  • I got an email quote from JD on a on a 3520 for $26,122 -- the 3720 was was $1,300 more and I could probably get them in the same price range as the Hew Holland removing some options.
  • I'm going to look at the Kubota's over the weekend I think the L4400 if I can get a deal like above.
  • I'm driving from VA to WVA tomorrow & there's a masey place on the way & I'll bore my wife and stop.
I'm not sure if I'm getting good quotes now so I need to get all the quotes I can now and I appriciate the feedback on the prices you all have provided.

My current teactor is a 2004 TM 38-D (task master) and I've had the breaks go out, Transmission blow, fixed and then I've lost the two stag cluch function. I've also got leaks in the hoses which are impossible to find parts w/o replacing them all, the oil filter replacement was a fiascal, the fuses heat up and are little wires & blow all the time & the gages stopped working the first year, & the front end load braces have split & rusted. I've worked it hard & it starts & pulls pretty good. It was a good first tractor for what I needed while I was clearing some land for a house but now the house is built and I need something more relaible that I can use for the next 15 years.

Last edited:
   / Help! New Compact Tractor #9  
It's been my observation that many dealers don't take e-mail requests seriously so they don't put much effort into pricing when they reply. I recommend that you actually visit some dealers so they understand that you are seriously shopping for a tractor and they can come up with their "best" price.

I don't know what all your 3520 quote includes, but that price is A LOT higher than what I paid.

/ Help! New Compact Tractor #10  
All three you mentioned are good tractors and should fit your needs. New Holland should go to the 40 HP , not 35. Test drive all of them and the most important questions will be; how well you like the dealer, price and what YOU like.