Utility tractor advice needed

/ Utility tractor advice needed #1  

piller

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HD ROPS
Hi,
My wife and I recently purchased a 110 acre farm in East Tennessee with about 50 acres of pasture/fields and the remainder forested. The property has mostly been used in the past for hay/cattle production. We have roads, trails, fields and pasture to work/maintain.

I think we need something like a 70 HP 4wd utility tractor and there are quite a few choices out there to confuse things. So far I've looked at the kubota M series and the new holland TN series. The new holland dealer suggested that I only consider the "big two" tractor companies which are new holland and john deere according to him.

The kubota dealer said it's roughly $25k for the 7040, $27k for the 8540, and $29k for the 9540. So, with only a $2k difference between models is there any reason not to jump up to the 8540 or 9540 models?

The new holland dealer said I could get a 4wd TN70 with fel for $30k. I don't know anything about the john deere tractors yet but plan to visit a dealer soon.

How important is tractor weight (the new holland dealer said the kubota was light)?

Are R4 tires OK for all around use instead of R1?

Any other tractors that should be on my "short list"?

Thanks,
Chip

/ Utility tractor advice needed #2  
I have a New Holland TN70A with Power shuttle. My tractor also has the skid plate protection for the fuel tank and a 3rd rear remote. No cab. Get the power Shuttle.

Tractor weighs around 5500 pounds and I have AG tires. I never go near my lawn, as AG tires will destroy my lawn.

When you shop, look at ergonomics. I went with NH becasue of the seat. It fit me better. I am 6'1" and the other tractor could not adjust to fit my frame.

Your mileage may vary.
Bob

/ Utility tractor advice needed #3  
piller said:
Hi,
The new holland dealer suggested that I only consider the "big two" tractor companies which are new holland and john deere according to him.

How important is tractor weight (the new holland dealer said the kubota was light)?

Thanks,
Chip

Good Afternoon Chip,
Welcome to TBN ! There are a bunch of happy NH owners on TBN as well as happy Kubota owners.

Sounds like your NH dealer is a bit pro NH :)

Be fair to yourself and your pocket book. Research all the major brands of tractors before you plunk down $30,000 of your hard earned money !!!

John Deere, Kubota, Kioti, Massey Ferguson, New Holland etc... compare features and prices etc... Operate all of them and then make your decision!

There are plenty of guys on here that have those brands and can help in your evaluation!

Good Luck !

/ Utility tractor advice needed #4  
I think I would get better comparisons on each tractor rather than listen to the New Holland dealer. He may be right but you need to check into that yourself some more. I am pro New Holland but that doesn't make it the right tractor for you. Kubota makes a compact tractor so don't throw them out. I would go out and check all of the dealers in your area and get on each of them and see how they fit you. Which one has the controls where you like them etc etc, ergonomics. Try them all out but also try out the dealer also. Dealer is just as important as tractor. You need to figure out which dealer is going to give you the best service after the sale. Take your time, buying is has to be just as fun as owning.

murph

/ Utility tractor advice needed #5  
scott_vt said:
Good Afternoon Chip,
Welcome to TBN ! There are a bunch of happy NH owners on TBN as well as happy Kubota owners.

Sounds like your NH dealer is a bit pro NH :)

Be fair to yourself and your pocket book. Research all the major brands of tractors before you plunk down $30,000 of your hard earned money !!!

John Deere, Kubota, Kioti, Massey Ferguson, New Holland etc... compare features and prices etc... Operate all of them and then make your decision!

There are plenty of guys on here that have those brands and can help in your evaluation!

Good Luck !

Howdy Chip, Scotty, and all.

Good advice above. EVERY tractor owner, every tractor salesman, in fact, everyone that has an opinion will give you 10 reasons to buy what they did, plus a hundred more why you SHOULDN'T buy something else. Weigh this free advice carefully. Listen to what the dealers have to say. If they can offer GOOD, SOLID reasons why their tractor is BETTER than their competitors, then consider that info too. But when you get that old "the other guy sells junk" speech, let it go in one ear and out the other.

Look at all the available brands, then make a pick. Consider initial cost, dealer "after the sale" follow-up service, each tractors "track record", and how it "fits" when you climb in.

/ Utility tractor advice needed #6  
piller said:
Hi,

So, with only a $2k difference between models is there any reason not to jump up to the 8540 or 9540 models?

Chip

Chip, only thing I wish I had was more power! Not that my TN70A does not have enough, I just want more power:D
I would go with the 9540!

But, (there is always a but), more power means more money for attachments. What will work on a 35hp tractor will not work on a 95 hp tractor.
Bob

/ Utility tractor advice needed #7  
Doc_Bob said:
Chip, only thing I wish I had was more power! Not that my TN70A does not have enough, I just want more power:D
I would go with the 9540!

But, (there is always a but), more power means more money for attachments. What will work on a 35hp tractor will not work on a 95 hp tractor.
Bob
Any JD in that size tractor is going to be quite a bit more $$$. (I own a JD, btw). Personally, either the NH or Kubota will be a lot of tractor for the money, you may want to look at a NH TD75D, it's a less frills tractor, but offers quite a bit for the money. Whichever machine feels the best from the seat will be the one to buy. I would likely go Kubota if I were buying new, and you can always add weight. The 8540 weighs 5004 lbs. unballasted according to Kubota's web site, and according to NH's, the TN70A is 5415. Get the R1 ag tires.

/ Utility tractor advice needed #8  
piller said:
Hi,
My wife and I recently purchased a 110 acre farm in East Tennessee with about 50 acres of pasture/fields and the remainder forested. The property has mostly been used in the past for hay/cattle production. We have roads, trails, fields and pasture to work/maintain.

I think we need something like a 70 HP 4wd utility tractor and there are quite a few choices out there to confuse things. So far I've looked at the kubota M series and the new holland TN series. The new holland dealer suggested that I only consider the "big two" tractor companies which are new holland and john deere according to him.

The kubota dealer said it's roughly $25k for the 7040, $27k for the 8540, and $29k for the 9540. So, with only a $2k difference between models is there any reason not to jump up to the 8540 or 9540 models?

The new holland dealer said I could get a 4wd TN70 with fel for $30k. I don't know anything about the john deere tractors yet but plan to visit a dealer soon.

Thanks,
Chip

You should take your time since $30K is a sizeable wad.

In addition to picking though the huge list of new tractors, you need to get a good fix on the implements you're going to need immediately, in a year, in 5 years. You need to match implement size with tractor horsepower. New implements can be pricy, so it's a good idea to check out the used implement market in your area.

My guess is that most people with property your size have more than one tractorl. A smaller utility tractor (30-50 hp) with a matching FEL and a larger tractor (75hp+) to handle the tilling/planting/harvesting chores. You might want the smaller tractor/FEL to be new and get a larger used tractor for your field work.

I only have 10 acres of flat pasture land so my tractors are fairly small. My smaller tractor is a new 21-hp Kubota B7510HST with an LA302 FEL that has a 4-ft wide bucket. I bought that in May05. In July 06 I bought a used 1966 Massey Ferguson MF-135 diesel (45 hp) for my tilling work (I plan to put in about 7 acres of hay). So far I have about $18K invested in tractors and implements.

/ Utility tractor advice needed #9  
piller said:
Hi,

Thanks,
Chip

Are you thinking Cab or No cab? Cab limits options more. You have mentioned 3 great options for colors. One guy mentioned Kioti which would be a good option as well as Mahindra. Both of these are on the smaller scale of what you are looking for, as they go up to about 65HP. There are rumors of a Kioti DK90 coming, but I have no idea if or when the may happen.

/ Utility tractor advice needed #10  
If I were you, I would consider Case/IH as well. Two tractors might be a good idea, too. You will probably want a compact for mowing, snow removal, barn chores, landscaping, etc. For your farm use a used tractor may be just the ticket.