What tractor should I buy?

/ What tractor should I buy? #11  
Fred,

Your bio doesn't list your location. What part of the country you live in will determine what kind of tool you need to do major landscaping. In the NE, where I live, I am doing just what you described - major landscaping and side jobs. I could NEVER do what I do without 4WD (at least with the R4 tires I run). That means you pretty much have to count on at least $8000 for a rig that is over 5 years old. Very few tractors ever show up in that price range, but they do once in a while. When they do show up, they are gone within hours of the paper hitting the street (seriously)!!! It seems like I see a single ad for a 6xxx series or older 7xxx series Kub with 4wd, gear trans $6500-10000 some with/some without FELs about every four months or so.

On the other hand, if you live where it is very dry and hot, 2wd will probably work for your landscaping needs. I have no experience with price in regions like that, and price/features/demand seem to be very regional. Maybe if you let the rest of us know where you live, others could be more helpful.

/ What tractor should I buy?
I live in Johnson City, TN (Northeast TN)

/ What tractor should I buy? #13  
Fred,
Check out this link <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.northerntractor.com>NORTHERN TRACTORS</A>.They might have a store in your state so you can see up close.These tractors are Chinese or Japanese like the rest of our compacts, but not under the green, blue or orange name, and alot cheaper.Check out the package deal prices,might be in your price range.Just a thought.

/ What tractor should I buy? #14  
<font color=blue>These tractors are Chinese or Japanese like the rest of our compacts</font color=blue>

Speak for yourself/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

/ What tractor should I buy? #15  
Just kidding. I looked at the Northern tractors too, but I wanted hydrostatic. They look like you get a big bang for your buck.

/ What tractor should I buy? #16  
We have a store near us also. I took a quick look at these machines. My first impression was "wow, they sure are thin and tall". I can't imagine using them on the slopes some on this site use theirs on.

Jeff

/ What tractor should I buy? #17  
If you are interested in the Northern Tractors, they are manufactured in China. The Chinese name is: JINMA. I think the manufacturer is a company called. China Shenyang Machinery. If you are willing to take 4 or more, I think they'll sell direct to you. The North American Distributor is "Northwest Products Inc. In Auburn Washingtion.

/ What tractor should I buy? #18  
The 3000 Ford is a good tractor. 5 to 6K$ is about right for a Ford 3000 with no loader. It's hard to find one with less than 3000 hours on it. Expect to spend extra money on repairs, brakes, hydraulics, tires, etc,,, if you find one to get it in good running condition after the purchase. Parts seem to still be readily available for the old Fords. I'm not sure I would invest the money to add a backhoe to that vintage unit. I think a used loader will add about 2K$ more to the cost if you can find one. Used compact tractors in good condition are really hard to find and sell for a premium price. If the $$ is a real problem you might look at the Kioti,(Korea), or Mahindra, ( India) units new. They are cheaper than Kubota, John Deere, and New Holland but parts availability is questionable and you will get creamed on resale if you want to sell it later. Hope this helps. Good luck. JD

/ What tractor should I buy? #19  
I am looking for a tractor for my property 40 acres, I need to use it fr plowing, mowing and property upkeep. I have around $2500-$3500, in Minnesota. any clues Ideas or right direction to look?

/ What tractor should I buy? #20  
A Ford 3000 is a fine tractor and you can do a lot of loader work with one. It will work you over clutching and shifting gears but you can do loader work with one.

4 wheel drive is fine if you are working in wet or slick conditions but if you are doing landscaping what are the odds that you will be working in the mud? I suggest slim if you want repeat customers. Now the 3000 is a big tractor for landscape work in existing landscapes for spreading mulch and the like. In doing final grading and initial landscape prep a tractor that size is great. Ballast will be needed for loader work with the 3000. Plus it is a relatively heavy tractor for landscape work in the 4000 pound range on the lower end and upwards of 3 tons in the upper range.

I suggest looking around at what other landscapers are using. I suspect you will see newer CUTs but not older tractors like the Ford 3000.