What tractor should I buy?

/ What tractor should I buy? #21  
Parts availability isn't a problem for either Kioti or Mahindra....to suggest otherwise is silly. Both companies have been selling tractors in the U.S. for long enough to have a good track record. Kioti sold their first tractors here 27 years ago, and Mahindra did the same 19 years ago, and they have three manufacturing facilities in the U.S...oh, and they're one of the three largest tractor manufacturers in the world. I don't own either brand, but the reality is you'll face just as many potential parts availability problems with almost any brand these days since none of the big names, save Kubota actually makes their own small to medium size tractors. Outsourced tractors means parts availability risks, not buying from a company who's headquarters is in another country.

/ What tractor should I buy? #22  
I was wondering about 4 wheel drive. How important is it and why? Outside of my 1938 Allis Chalmers i'm new to tractors. thanks

Your original post indicates you want to do landscaping. That means you don't want to tear up existing yards or your new work when driving over it with the tractor. A front end loader seems absolutely necessary for landscaping. You also will want to maneuver in tight areas.

A 2WD without a lot of ballast will not push into delivered material as easily as a 4WD - tends to spin out before you get a bucket full. You will want lawn or R4 tread so as not to tear up or mark up existing lawns - so your older 2WD ag tired tractor is probably not your best bet. A heavy load in the bucket puts a lot of weight on the front tires which can tend to make the rear tires have less traction - a 4WD tractor will pull steady because the front tires have power to the ground whereas a 2WD may bounce across the yard. The newer utility tractors shift in and out of 4WD easily. I only use the 4WD when needed and shift back to 2WD for making tight turns. Hydro is absolutely my choice for front end loader work. The Ford 3000 is 64 inches wide where as my 32 hp orange tractor is 54 inches wide. The last year the 3000 was made was 1975. Major improvements in driver comfort have been made since then. I'm older, so that counts a lot for me.

If you were just going to pull a shredder or disc the 3000 would be great. I drove an old Workmaster gas pulling logs out of the woods. It worked great for that. That old tractor doesn't compare to my orange tractor for handling. Besides you will want to be productive when you are working it. Hydro, 4WD, R4 tires, power steering, economical to run. You will be a lot happier and more productive with a newer compact - IMHO.

/ What tractor should I buy? #23  
I'm sorry. I'm looking at used tractors. Thanks

In December of 2011 I purchased a Kubota B3200 new. I signed on the dotted line, no money down, financed at 0% for 60 months, loaded the unit on my trailer and drove home. I billed $4,000 in new work before I made the first $327 monthly payment. I claimed all $18,000 of the purchase price as a tax deduction. I charge $50 to $60 an hour for tractor work. I can make the payment if I only bill 6 hours of work per month. I have had to replace one $.69 O ring and changed out all the oil at 400 hours which cost me a little over $200.

I tried the used tractor route. It was not the ideal unit for what I wanted to do and the interest rate was 16% on $8,000. That's when I went new in 2007 and again in 2011 and have not looked back.

/ What tractor should I buy? #24  
No disrespect to the last few posters, but this thread had been dormant for more than 10 years until it was resurrected by fixatruck yesterday. I do not know the US used market prices so cannot comment to fixatruck.

/ What tractor should I buy? #25  
No disrespect to the last few posters, but this thread had been dormant for more than 10 years until it was resurrected by fixatruck yesterday. I do not know the US used market prices so cannot comment to fixatruck.

I just like to brag on my tractor! LOL

/ What tractor should I buy? #26  
wc*******47, You realise that as a McDonald, I cannot possibly write your name. I think your response was amusing though - and a good enough reason to post.