What tractor should I buy?

/ What tractor should I buy? #1  

fred111

I am going to buy a tractor to do some major landscaping on my yard and hopefully pick up some side jobs after that. I want to use a loader, backblade and eventually get a backhoe. I had first planned on buying something along the lines of a Ford 3000 Diesel (2 wheel drive, 38-40 hp). I'm looking in the $5000-$6000 range. Can anyone advise me if a compact tractor would be better suited to this type work? If so, what brands and models would keep me in that price range? thanks very much, Fred

/ What tractor should I buy?
I'm sorry. I'm looking at used tractors. Thanks

/ What tractor should I buy? #4  
Fred, realistically, if you are going to do the kinds of things you listed, you will need a tractor with 4WD, even if you don't get a loader until later. You are already out of your price range in the 30-40 hp tractors. Even a used tractor to do what you want and be reliable will cost around $10k minimum. I don't want to put a damper on your plans, but I think you should revise your budget up to at least double the amount you listed. This is without even considering a backhoe. Good luck.

/ What tractor should I buy? #5  
fred111,
Maybe visiting equipment auctions..farm auctions etc.. there a good chance of finding something w/in your needs.
You may have to pay a tad more for a tractor in good shape w/that horse power regoin..depending on your location.
If you live somewhat near John Miller III he would be the man to ask.

/ What tractor should I buy?
I was wondering about 4 wheel drive. How important is it and why? Outside of my 1938 Allis Chalmers i'm new to tractors. thanks

/ What tractor should I buy? #7  
Back when I lived in Michigan, we bought a Ford 3000 diesel, and it was an excellent tractor. 38 pto horse, power steering, live pto and hydraulics. We traded in an old Ford 8-N, and paid $4500 for the 3000. That was about 7 years ago. I have seen some fair to good condition 3000's on E-Bay, running about $4500 to $6000. I'd certainly buy another 3000 should I be in the market for another tractor.

Paul

/ What tractor should I buy? #8  
<font color=red>What tractor should I buy</font color=red>

Whoooo a big can of worms./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ What tractor should I buy? #9  
A larger tractor whith two wheel drive works fine after you get used to using the brakes to help you steer and get out of trouble (stuck). Also if you have a bucket you can pull yourself out of almost anything. If you are looking at a compact tractor 4 wheel drive is very nice to have, unfortanatly a lot of people know this so the cost of a used 4 wheel drive compact tends to be steep (at least in Connecticut).
This is probably more opinion than fact. (or fact as I persieve it)

PTRich

/ What tractor should I buy? #10  
Fred, a loader on a small tractor means you need 4WD. If you don't need a loader, you can get by easily with 2WD and find an old tractor like a Ford 8N, NAA, or 601 that uses gasoline, or like PaulSD pointed out, a Ford 3000 diesel can give you a lot of good service. If you do need the loader, the 4WD and the loader will most likely drive the cost up to nearly $10k. If you are willing to go with a lot less hp and accept a "grey market" tractor, you might get your cost down to $8k, but those tractors are for folks with a lot of expertise and a pipeline/lifeline for getting parts if needed. In your price range, I'd just say forget the loader and look for a decent 2WD tractor. Look around though. You might find a deal./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif