What to buy for my WA. property

/ What to buy for my WA. property #1  

arrmateyj

Hi folks,
Next year I am moving NW of the Seattle area to a home on 5 rolling acres. It gets big weeds, tall brush and grass. It is a very hilly area.
Besides mowing I would like a piece of equipment with a variety of attachments available. Maybe a small snowplow, post digger, blade, and especially a bucket for digging ditches. Which so far has brought my interest to the Toolcat. I particularly like the relative smallness and the dumpbed. I don't like $25-$30K however. What else is there? I am more inclined to buy an American made product.

Thanks, Jim

Attachments

• WA HOUSE 1.jpg
    WA HOUSE 1.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 408
  • WA HOUSE 2.jpg
    WA HOUSE 2.jpg
    593.6 KB · Views: 362
   / What to buy for my WA. property #2  
Have a look at the Power Trac. Not sure of the price range they offer for the various models.

EDIT: Just noticed they have prices listed on the site. You will like what you see. Prices are real good.

/ What to buy for my WA. property #3  
Your land is very hilly. I would stay away from compact utility tractors. They are too unstable on hilly land. Articulated tractors would make more sense. The PowerTracs would be great (425 or 420) and the other articulated tractors such as Steiner or Ventrec (?sp). There are all sorts of useful purpose built attachments for the PTs. They are really the "Swiss Army Knives" of the tractor world. Check out the PowerTrac forum and ask Bob Skurka about his Ventrec.

/ What to buy for my WA. property #4  
IslandTractor said:
Your land is very hilly. I would stay away from compact utility tractors. They are too unstable on hilly land. Articulated tractors would make more sense. The PowerTracs would be great (425 or 420) and the other articulated tractors such as Steiner or Ventrec (?sp). There are all sorts of useful purpose built attachments for the PTs. They are really the "Swiss Army Knives" of the tractor world. Check out the PowerTrac forum and ask Bob Skurka about his Ventrec.

I agree with IslandTractor. I would more than exceed my "pucker power" :eek: on your property with my CUT. CUT's really do not like leaning more than 15 - 20 degrees. Jay

/ What to buy for my WA. property #5  
Unlike the others I would suggest one of the small tractors such as the Kubota BX23. Not specifieing kubota but a machine with similar characteristics.

/ What to buy for my WA. property #6  
arrmateyj said:
Hi folks,
Next year I am moving NW of the Seattle area to a home on 5 rolling acres. It gets big weeds, tall brush and grass. It is a very hilly area.
Besides mowing I would like a piece of equipment with a variety of attachments available. Maybe a small snowplow, post digger, blade, and especially a bucket for digging ditches. Which so far has brought my interest to the Toolcat. I particularly like the relative smallness and the dumpbed. I don't like $25-$30K however. What else is there? I am more inclined to buy an American made product.

Thanks, Jim

Nice place. But way too hilly for a small CUT. I have a Kubota B7510HST that I would never try to use on hills as steep as yours. The 7510 only has about 48" wide track, much too narrow to work safely on your hills. My 1966 MF-135 diesel has 82" wide track and orchard tires filled with water. I still would hesitate to use the 135 on your hills.

Like others have recommended, think about a small articulated tractor that's designed for hilly terrain.

/ What to buy for my WA. property #7  
Not sure what tractor will be best for those hills, I know i would not use my B2400 on them. No matter what tractor you decide , i would suggest EXTREME CAUTION at all times.

/ What to buy for my WA. property #8  
Forgot to mention, nice photos! but for tose of us with slow dial up, it might be nice to resize the photos down a bit. I know it would be appreciated by many.:) WELCOME TO THE FORUM

/ What to buy for my WA. property #9  
jbrumberg said:
CUT's really do not like leaning more than 15 - 20 degrees.

I have a tilt meter on my CUT. Maybe you can do 20 degrees but I get ready to hit the eject button at about 17 max. I'd need to change my shorts if I ever got to 20 degrees.

I'd say CUTs are comfortable on slopes up to about 12-13 degrees and anything more than that requires due caution and a very careful lookout for rocks on the uphill side and holes on the downhill side that might suddenly tip the tractor further.

/ What to buy for my WA. property #10  
Welcome to TBN and the Great Northwet. I can't really comment on the stability issue because like frank f15, I only got part of the fist picture before I stopped the process. Dial-up stinks.

I will however suggest you reconsider the snowplow purchase. I don't know where your property is located but unless your in the higher foothills of the Cascades or Olympics, snow really isn't an issue. We got almost 9" back at the start of Dec. (Whidbey Island) and it was pretty much gone in 3 days. Did make for some interesting footage on the news after the Seahawks game.

Let me know if I can help out prior to your relocation.