Used Massey or new Kubota?

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #11  
I'm new to the site too! Welcome. These guys are good, know what they are talking about (most of them) and will bend over backward to help you out with a question.

I don't know squat about a Massey Ferguson mechanically except I learned how to drive a tractor on a Massey 245 about 23-24 years ago. The guy still has it and it still works like a champ. Of course he's had repairs along the way, but he also uses it for his 80 acres. It has a ton of hours on it and I was at his home a couple months ago and we walked out to the barn...still fires right up.

Kubota...nice tractor, kind of like a "toyota" of the tractors... from what I hear.

Sounds like you have a plan. I wish you the best.
AJ in 'Bama

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #12  
cletus said:
I have done a lot of research on TBN and was comfortable with the 3130. BUT, yesterday a friend told me about a Massey 1240 with FEL, 5' hog, and scraper blade for $10000. The tractor only has 150 hours on it.

I have not laid eyes on the Massey, but will do so soonest.

All other things being equal, if the Massey is in good shape, is there any reason NOT to buy it and get the Kubota instead? My savings account sure could use the help. I would have to finance the Kubota and could go ahead and put down half on the Massey. My main concern is if the 1240's 28 HP will be enough for me.

Cleatus

Welcome to TBN.

Why is person selling Massey 1240. Not satisfied ? Going Bigger ?
I have heard from a bud of mine that they don't build the Massey's as well as they used to. Now this is just one person telling me this. I do know alot of people love the reliability of Kubota's. Also just happens to be the biggest forum on this site. That's what I was personally looking to buy but Dealership did not pan out. Although the Massey is probably OK (28 HP machine would be fine for your tasks) I would recommend the Kubota if you have a half decent Dealer to work with. Why not search for a used Kubota.

Vic

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #13  
The MF will do everything that you listed. The only thing that I would suggest is that you check out the seat. The factory seat on the 1240 was different that the 1250 and 1260 models and didn't have as much spring or comfort. I am sure that the dealer would change it for a better seat if you wanted it to make the sale.

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #14  
Mornin Cleatus,
Welcome to TBN. Your gonna get about as many replies on tractor types and sizes as there are members on TBN ! :)

All kidding aside, that machine should easily do everything you need on your property. I have a Massey FWD 1040 that I bought used and its been a great tractor for me. As another poster mentioned, the finances you have to deal with should dictate what direction you want to go. I personally dont like making payments, so I took a chance and bought something used. The machine had about 1300 hours on it when I bought it and I have not invested much since. On the other hand I have heard horror stories from people that have bought used also !

Take someone that has a fair amount of knowledge about tractors with you to go over the Massey 1240. They will be able to spot thigs you normally wouldnt see. Truthfully a machine with only 150 hrs should be just about like brand new !

Good Luck !

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #15  
Cleatus,

I own two Kubotas and one is the 3130. Great little tractor but so is the Massey. I agree with Scotty take someone with you that knows about tractors. Make sure it has been serviced. And if it is 4x4 and all is good, 12K verses 18-20K, I would go with the MF 1240!

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #16  
With no more hours on it than listed it should be like new. Hopefully it was stored out of the weather (makes a difference). Check it over and if in the shape a tractor with 150 hours should be, buy it and if you don't like it trade it in for new. You may get that price or close to it on trade. I don't know how anyone could tear one up but so bad in that time frame.

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #17  
Horsepower is way overrated, it dosen't mean that much unless you are doing heavy dirt work and in a hurry.

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #18  
klm said:
Horsepower is way overrated, it dosen't mean that much unless you are doing heavy dirt work and in a hurry.

klm:

Sometimes I feel like a voice in the wind :confused: in TBN land on the "HP Issue". I have always been able to get the job done, and at times I have impressed the "real" farmers in my area with my little tractors. I take a great deal of pleasure knowing I can get a task done with the least amount of money and HP. I am with you :D! Jay

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #19  
klm said:
Horsepower is way overrated.

Yep. It's not the size of the army but the fury of the attack. :D

We should be hearing from the HP junkies any moment now.:p

/ Used Massey or new Kubota?
Hey everyone, I sure do appreciate all the responses. Knew I picked the right place! As far as I know the owner just hasn't used the Massey much, and is moving, so they want to sell. I should be going to look at it this weekend and will post back what I find. Am planning to take a friend who knows more about tractors than me, will let you know.

If I get it you bet i will send in some pix. Thanks for the tips!

cletus