Used Massey or new Kubota?

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #21  
cletus said:
As far as I know the owner just hasn't used the Massey much, and is moving, so they want to sell.

Sounds like a very good deal then so long as the tractor was stored properly. I suspect the upsurge in CUT purchases over the past few years means that lots of people are buying tractors they don't really use that much and that after a few years they sell them. Or, as in this case where a tractor is used lightly (about 50hrs/year), probably mostly for mowing and chores then sold when the owners leave the area. That is quite a different scenario than when a farmer decides to upgrade after "using up" a good portion of a tractors useful life or when a construction company dumps an older piece of equipment on the market after a hard life. With only 150 hrs on the Massey, even if maintenance was neglected, 150hrs without an oil change is not really such a big deal. I'm going to be optomistic and guess you will find this tractor to be in fine shape with dealer maintenance on schedule. Hope it works out for you.

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #22  
:)
jbrumberg said:
klm:

Sometimes I feel like a voice in the wind :confused: in TBN land on the "HP Issue". I have always been able to get the job done, and at times I have impressed the "real" farmers in my area with my little tractors. I take a great deal of pleasure knowing I can get a task done with the least amount of money and HP. I am with you :D! Jay

Mornin Jay,
Funny you should say that. I was just thinking that when International came out with the Farmall 200 I think in 1956, dont quote me :) The tractor had something in the range of mid 20 something hp and with the proper implements that tractor would do all the chores on a 100 acre farm ;) :)

The HP junkies have certainly taken over somewhere along the way, and I believe I have been bitten by those flu like symptoms myself ! ;) :)

Most HP in any of my 3 is 32..... and always lookin for more !:)

Last edited:
   / Used Massey or new Kubota? #23  
Cleatus, I paid $13000.00 for my 1240, with about 150 hrs, 3 years ago with just the loader and 5' box blade. So this sure sounds like a good buy, providing its 4 wd and is indeed as good as the owner claims. I have R-1 tires (Agricultural ribbed style) and have found them to be an asset. If the tires are not loaded its simple to fill them, the added weight makes a big difference in any tractor.

My experience over 3 years has been favorable, I also grade about 1000' driveway and have used the machine for many chores, never finding it lacking for power. The one exception is using the 5' bush hog in tall, very thick wet grass where I have to shift down. It will bushhog virtually everything else just fine in high range. I don't think the 3130 or any other small tractor would be any differnt with this. Fortunately I only have a few small areas that are swampy where this is an issue. Overall its a handy, use it everyday, tractor.

Someone here mentioned that the 1240 was 'basic', I don't see why. Foldable ROPS, rubber floor mat with flat deck and tool box, 16 speed syncronized 4 range transmission, seperate PS pump, tilt steering wheel, independent PTO, etc etc. As far as having 'light duty gears', none of the small CUTS are built like industrial tractors. My suggestion if you need a backhoe is to either rent a full sized one or buy a used commerical machine. There is no comparrision for serious dirt work, and your CUT will be ever gratefull doing what it was meant to do. Bottom line is for 10 grand I'd buy it before someone else does! have fun, Syncro

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #24  
scott_vt said:
:)

Mornin Jay,
Funny you should say that. I was just thinking that when International came out with the Farmall 200 I think in 1956, dont quote me :) The tractor had something in the range of mid 20 something hp and with the proper implements that tractor would do all the chores on a 100 acre farm ;) :)

The HP junkies have certainly taken over somewhere along the way, and I believe I have been bitten by those flu like symptoms myself ! ;) :)

Most HP in any of my 3 is 32..... and always lookin for more !:)

Scot_VT:

I will admit that I have secretly "coveted" my neighbor's tractor but not his wife, but I think there is something in NE's water that makes me against my will practical :(. Jay

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #25  
Podunkadunk said:
Kubota...nice tractor, kind of like a "toyota" of the tractors... from what I hear.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ummm ... they ARE headquartered in the same country, but the similarity stops there methinks.

:D

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #26  
DAP said:
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ummm ... they ARE headquartered in the same country, but the similarity stops there methinks.

:D
My bad. I thought Kubota's were expensive (like Toyota's) and reliable (like Toyota's), notwithstanding they are made in Japland.

I guess I should have said buy the MF. Oooops.

My disclaimer: My opine means pnuts, but it's fun posting.