Used Massey or new Kubota?

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #1  

cletus

Hello gentlemen, (and ladies)

This is my first post, before I ask my question let me say that I have spent many hours browsing TBN and have loved every minute of it. This site has a ton of info as well as being fun (and often funny) to read. Last night I missed 1 1/2 perfectly good playoff football games while reading various posts.

So here's my situation:

We have about 8 acres with some hills on them. About 2 acres are pretty flat, and I would like to bush hog them about 2x a year. Rest of land is wooded and will stay that way.

Needs are to use a FEL to haul gravel, dirt, mulch, etc. Have a quarter mile of drive to keep scraped, will eventually get a box blade and rotavator. Will occasionally want to move some downed trees, etc. Don't see a need for a backhoe (but once I have a tractor that "need" might come).

I have been looking at the Kubota 3130 which I could get new from a dealer with FEL, bush hog and scraper blade for $18-$20K.

I have done a lot of research on TBN and was comfortable with the 3130. BUT, yesterday a friend told me about a Massey 1240 with FEL, 5' hog, and scraper blade for $10000. The tractor only has 150 hours on it.

I have not laid eyes on the Massey, but will do so soonest.

All other things being equal, if the Massey is in good shape, is there any reason NOT to buy it and get the Kubota instead? My savings account sure could use the help. I would have to finance the Kubota and could go ahead and put down half on the Massey. My main concern is if the 1240's 28 HP will be enough for me.

Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Thank you,

Cleatus

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #2  
Cleatus:

Welcome to TBN :D! I have a NH TC29DA (29/23+HP) and have had no difficulities maintaining my 12.5A's of hilly rough terrain (60:40- open:woods). I think the Massey would be able to handle your current intended demands as well as future uses; and if you purchase the Massey we can help you spend the $8 -10K you "saved" ;). Of course there will be those HP junkies out there in TBN land that will recommend something bigger. Tractor "feel" is important- try as many tractor brands as you can before you buy. There are no perfect tractors out there. Tell us more- Jay

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #3  
The Massey will be fine
Plus, if it's not, you won't get crushed trading it back in.
Masseys are more ummm, basic
But they work fine.

got one myself, worked great.

/ Used Massey or new Kubota?
Thanks to you both for the quick replies. The Massey owner is out of town till the 15th, so I will look at it next week and let you all know. Basic is good, I read someone's post (synchro's?) about the analog gauges on the Massey, I would prefer that. less to break maybe. Thanks again and I will let you know what the Massey looks like next week.

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #5  
The Massey is a good machine and the 10k is a good price for a low hour unit. Check that it has been serviced. Clean fluids, newer filters, grease on the zerks. It's not a good deal if it still has the factory oil in it!

If it has been stored outside, check all the fluids then run it for a good 10 minutes then check again. Look to see if there is any water contamination. The insides of transmissions and rear ends can rust up bad if they are watered down.

Pick up the front end with the loader, then see how much wiggle is in the bearings. At that low hours, there shouldn't be much if any.

jb

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #6  
To me, the answer depends on two things:

1. Your finances, which often will dictate, and

2. Your previous experience with tractors.

When I bought mine, I knew I needed a TLB for the work I had planned, or at least dreampt of, and I had no experience at all with tractors or construction equipment.

The lack of experience led me to both have a dealer look over my land and advise me on whether my thoughts were realistic, and to buy new.

I could afford new, but would have preferred used to keep the cost down. However, I always kept coming back to the question of "what if something is wrong with a used machine and I don't even know it?"

I had a lot of worries about some bad, possibly even safety-related, internal malfunction which I just could not recognize through inexperience.

With a new machine, I could at least have a very strong probability that everything worked as it should, I would have current manuals, and all systems would be safe.

Now that I have some experience, if I ever buy another tractor, I will get a used one.

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #8  
I got my Massey with 140 hours on it. It was a year and a half old and still looked great. 150 is pert near new! If it has been abused it should show, but with such low hours, there hasn't been much time to abuse it. I have been very happy with my Massey, and the savings can buy implements of destruction! As john_bud said, look it over for those items if it has been stored outside. Of course one of my neighbors has about 20 tractors and the only ones he stores inside are the 20's models JD that he has restored. Even the newer, 1940's, JD's that he has restored are outside most of the time.

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #9  
I looked at a used MF prior to getting the tc45da. I happen by the shop one day when they had one apart. When I spoke with the mechanic he complained about the light duty gears located in the trans and rear axle. ( gear drive version ). The reason for the repair was a problem in the transmission. Maybe they are all built light to a degree but I ran, not walked away from this prospective purchase. My neighbor bought a 40 hp MF and traded it a year later. Wouldn't give a reason, said he didn't like it. He lost a good deal on the trade ( good resale value ? )but is very happy with the NH replacement. I have also heard the brand is as good as the dealer. Kubota builds very nice equipment. I personally will stick with the NH brand. My used machine never hit the sales lot when I traded ... and it wasn't priced low either.

/ Used Massey or new Kubota? #10  
Go for the Massey. 28hp is plenty for your size property and chores. Put the savings into implements and you'll have a more efficient machine overall than a slightly more powerful newer tractor.