Tractor recommendations for hobby farm

/ Tractor recommendations for hobby farm #1  

reconmarine

With apologies to all who have been here before and already addressed the question of which tractor is the "best" for a given application, I need help. I am a retired Marine (not yet a farmer) and have just built a house on 30 ac. in north Georgia. I need a tractor to maintain a gravel road about 1/2 mile long, cut a 2 acre bermuda lawn, bush hog around pastures (hay is cut and baled by others on halves) etc. Primary usage will be lawn cutting and road maintenance but I have lots of clearing of understory and scrub to do in the wooded areas as well. I also have a river bottom pasture that stays pretty wet so I think a 4WD is necessary in any event. I have looked at a 50 HP Kioti but there are also Ford, Kubota, MF and JD dealers nearby. I would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations anyone might offer me.

/ Tractor recommendations for hobby farm #2  
I had the same questions you did when I was looking for a tractor. I have 45 acres, 2500' of road, and fields. I was looking for a 50 hp tractor. Then I found this compact tractor site. It changed my perspective completely and convinced me that smaller was better. I got a Kubota 3710 with HST and loader and that's more than enough tractor without being too big. It is also the biggest Kubota with a mid mount PTO which would be good for your 2 acres if you decided on a mid mount mower. With 4 WD the 3710 is about perfect for 25-50 acres. Semper Fi!!

/ Tractor recommendations for hobby farm #3  
I'd have to agree with DavidH. You'd be hard pressed to find a more capable machine for your needs than a Kubota L3710HST. You at least ought to check it, and the competitive offerings in approximately that size, at the local dealers. I don't think you need anything bigger, and you could make do with something smaller, but the L3710HST is probably just right, if you need mid-mount mower compatibility - otherwise, I'd also check out the L4310HST.

/ Tractor recommendations for hobby farm #4  
I think you'd be plenty happy with your 50 hp Kioti if there is a dealer nearby to give you service. You also might want to step down to the DK45 and put the money you save toward a front-end-loader (FEL). I can't imagine having a tractor on 30 acres and not have a loader to help with the endless number of chores you will have. The only drawback with the Kioti is they don't have hydrostatic transmissions, but that's just my own personal preference and you might actually prefer the 12 speed with shuttle shift. I'd recommend you look at the New Holland TC45 and TN50-65 also. I have used a round bale spear on my TC45 and it handled it with ease. I'm not sure any Kubota 30-35 hp range tractor would handle a heavy round bale as well, but the L4610 surely could. Also, check out the John Deere 4600-4700 tractors and the 5000 series. I'll let someone who knows more about Massey give you a suggested model to check out.

I think you are starting off in the right spot by looking at all models and what they have to offer. I always figure that a large tractor can do small jobs, but a small tractor can't do big jobs. Having said that, lawn cutting is not something a big tractor does very well. You may have to make some tradeoffs to get the right fit for all your jobs. Good luck in your search and keep us posted.

/ Tractor recommendations for hobby farm #5  
I've got a JD 4600 and that would be perfect for your application. It does everything you've asked and more. I can even run my 338 square baler with it. I can haul 2000 pound round bales on the front and back and anything in between. Tractor is easy to operate and maintain and the JD specific implements like loader, backhoe, forks etc. are very easy to get on and off. I'd highly recommend it. You will be set for today and if you decide to do a little farming in the future. I have yet to have even one regret over mine.

/ Tractor recommendations for hobby farm #6  
I don't see anything in the advice you have received so far that I can disagree with. There are a fair number of compact and "small" ag tractors that will do what you need. Since I just bought a Power Trac 1845, however, I can't resist a recommendation that you at least glance at their line at
www.Power-Trac.com
For the mowing you have, you will find their front mounted mowers easier than 3-point or belly mowers. I have a fair amount of time on all three, and the front mounts are the best. There have been a number of threads about loaders. You'll want one. With the Power Trac, you only need to buy the bucket, since the frame and hydraulics are standard.
I'm currently biased, of course, but I can't think of a better machine than the Power Trac for your application, but they don't look like Daddy's ol' tractor. You can get up to 60HP, but 30 or 45 is probably more than adequate.

/ Tractor recommendations for hobby farm #7  
you most deffinetly, want 4wd and hst . u can not beleive the diff. hst makes. u can creep and keep rpms up and 4wd is a must. remember tho that sometines 2 big is not good. consider the weight of the machine, also the physical size, will it be to heavy for your grass cutting? will it be to large to get between trees? u know your needs best. check out ALL your options.

/ Tractor recommendations for hobby farm #8  
Semper fi, brother!

I'll echo the weight concerns. 50hp comes at a price when your land is partly wet and muddy. I ride a Kubota L3010 that works well for me, but in your case I might seriously consider the B2910 (or equivalent Boomer, etc) because you'd get roughly the same HP in a lot less weight. (I need the weight of the larger tractor since much of what I do involves lifting and moving heavy loads.) This also makes the 2910 a better climber, though you didn't mention if your property was hilly.

Is there one dealer you feel better about? If so, give his products serious consideration.

Pete (former DevilDoc)
1st Bn, 9th Marines
3rd Bn, 2nd Marines

/ Tractor recommendations for hobby farm #9  
i have no advice on the hobby farming, but i wanted to put in a Thanks for your efforts while you were in the Corps. :)

i worked with several marines while i was in the usaf [i was one of those comm rats working with the corps to provide better usaf <-> marine communication].

you marines do it right, i learned a lot and was able to teach a few things too about sat com.

/ Tractor recommendations for hobby farm #10  
I'd have to agree with the others here who expressed the sentiment that 50 HP may be overkill. If your 2 acres of Bermuda is actually lawn and not pasture or meadow, then I'd figure you'd have some serious problems with compaction and/or tearing up the lawn (most people don't get too bent out of shape over torn up grass in a pasture).

Also, since you do not envision haying or baling with this tractor (if I read your post correctly) then I'd say a 50 HP sized tractor/frame is definitely overkill.

I've done all of what you described with a TC33D, with FEL, 6 ft box blade, and 5 ft brush mower. I don't have a back hoe yet... it's been hard to justify with my limited needs (not to mention a friend with access to a mini excavator). I had considered the larger TC40D, but the weight for finish mowing might be a problem (especially in damp/wet ground conditions). Also, the larger frame would be a problem on the trails I'm constructing through the woods.

IF you are not looking at doing the haying/baling with this unit I'd recommend checking out the following in the "Big Three's" lineups:

On the smaller end of the scale (safer on the lawn, but takes a bit longer for some jobs) look at: New Holland TC29 / TC33 ("D" model if you want HST), John Deere 4300 (I've not seen the new 4310, don't even know if they've been released yet), Kubota L3010 / L3410 (possibly also the 2710 or 2910 models)

If you want to step up a size (Faster at most jobs, able to use larger implements, dig deeper, etc., but more of a danger to your lawn) Look at NH TC40 / TC45, JD 4500 / 4600 / 4700, Kubota L3710 / L4310 / L4610

You can find machines of similar capabilities in other brands. They'd be worth looking at if you've got a dealer in your area.

I think you will be suprised at what these tractors will do, and my guess is they will easily handle your needs, unless you plan to eventually get into the farming-tyoe uses you mentioned (haying, baling) where the extra horsepower is needed.

John