Still a bit Confused....but

/ Still a bit Confused....but #1  

BWa

Silver Member
Tractor
2002 JD 990
I know that a JD 5320 is not a compact , but many of you have given good advise as to needs/wants, bigger if you got the room is better . I have gone to the area dealers , looked at all the colors , and feel that the green is what has my heart .
Now the big question , I have gone to my local dealers , and I think JD lists them as compact tractor sales , both are willing to sale and service The 5320 with FEL and sale me a Tiller that will fit . I have also gone online to JD and found the list for AG tractor dealers . Now it gets hard the one in my state (MA) did not have much in the way of 5000 series Tractor in stock and I got the feeling that I was not really wanted as a customer in that having talked to the sales person and asked if they would be around on a friday morning , was that that he was going to be in . I got to the dealership only to find he had left to go see other customers out on the road and that I was turned over to a jr. sales person . I got the feel I was interupting his coffee break and really did not act like he wanted the business .
I have also looked at 2 out of state dealers , NH ,both have been very good at answering questions and act like they want the business . I have no hope of getting around the state tax due on this but I question the service I will get and have to pay for after the fact when the dealer is 65 to 125 miles from me , a $1.00 a mile transport fee before any work done is not something iI look forward to . As to getting it fixed local , I was told that if I bought at another dealer the local dealers would not want to touch it or at best be the last thing they want to work on after everything esle is done .
As to the first price quote they all are about the same give or take 2-3 thousand , I have not talked any final deals with any of them or even know if they will give a better price for the Avg. $ 37,000. for a 5320 , Iso plateform , FEL, And tiller .
Sorry for the long story you all have been a great help before and your insite to this would be of great help now .
Thank You

/ Still a bit Confused....but #2  
BWa,

I know JD makes good stuff "but" when I was looking for a compact 4-5 years ago I received much of the same treatment you did. One local dealer here in Southern, ME. treated me like I was a non-person or something but a friend who has a farm swears by them. I never received calls back, offer to try one out, etc. I ended up with a Cub from a dealer that knew tractors & construction equipment, that took the time to let me drive them, etc.
Service location is a big part of buying but my Cub has only been back to the dealer once in 5 years. One other thing that is one of my pet peaves (sp) if I'm buying something with my hard earned dollars and I don't like the salesman or dealership for some reason I look elsewhere. They are not the only dealer and you need to have a good relationship if you're investing your money in something expensive. If you can't find an interested JD dealer close you might want to look at the other colors because I think most of the tractors seem to have similar features and most are very reliable. It then comes down to rather you prefer, Blue, Green, Orange, Yellow, etc. Happy buying,!

/ Still a bit Confused....but #3  
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.vicinity.com/yt.hm?FAM=deere&SEC=geoprx&CMD=GEOFIND&FC=COMPTRACTOR&FS=&AD2=&CITY=&STATE=&ZIP=02379&AD4=US&Products=COMPTRACTOR>John Deere Compact Tractor Dealers near West Bridgewater, MA</A>

Bill,
I don't really follow the "new" prices, but it sounds about $10K. too high...

For 20 acres, I don't want to hit you in the head and say 55 PTO hp is overkill, but... /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif (also absolutely great tractor by the way /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif (5320))...

Have you considered the JD 5X05 advantage series...?

In-line, I attached a list of JD compact dealers, you can call on the phone for inventory availability and price shopping... however the avg. compact dealer normally won't stock the utility size 5320... {check with AG dealers - more so}, but while you're on the phone, also check pricing on the 5205 units... and instead of buying a <font color=green>Green</font color=green> tiller for <font color=red>$$$</font color=red>... take a look at a KingKutter tiller for around $1000. for about the best value for your money...

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Still a bit Confused....but #4  
Bill,
Try and make your new tractor search enjoyable,for you have pros and cons to figure out..tractor size,attachments,dealership location,$$$.
Test the tractor at the dealer or at home if you can,study the spec sheets,talk w/locals and listen to there views about dealership that your interested in doing business.
Most of all go w/your gut feeling,for your making long term investment,for a good share of us here have been thru what you are facing.

Good luck w/your quest.

/ Still a bit Confused....but #5  
Yes,Deere does make some good tractors,but so do the others. I'd take a look at the price configurer on the Deere web site,especially since John thinks it is a tad high priced according to your quotes.

I've never been a big fan of the 5000 series myself,it just does not look like a usable ag-tractor to me. More like a kids Tonka toy,I guess really.

Have you looked into Valtra yet? If not do yourself a favor and find a dealer for them. They make a well designed, overly built, dependable tractor at a very competitive price. Check them out at http://www.valtra.com

As for the dealers being distant,do not worry if you buy a well engineered and built piece of equipment that is maintained,you should not need the dealer for much.

Do not buy into the arrogant dealers hype that you have to run a Deere,because they are the best,and that Solid,Stable,Still......bs. Try them all out for a demo at your place,spend some seat time even if it's only driving around for hours on end,then make your decision on what feels best for you!

/ Still a bit Confused....but
I will agree that at this point and time the 5320 is a bit much ,....... but having talked to the real farmers in the area as to my wannabe ....... they have worked or know someone who has worked this small piece. That and the fact I may have to take care of the whole thing some day , They feel that the 64hp / 55 hp PTO will be the right size to do it all if and when the time comes , plowing , and or hay baling this will do it , maybe not fast but it will get the jobs done and not kill itself doing it .
In that this is my first tractor I have found the forum to be most helpful and am very greatful to all your help and insite words cann't express the thankfulness I have for all you in all that has been shared here.
As to dealers , I am just not sure if a good price up front is better than a price a little higher and a more local dealer and how can you rate service short of being there ?
Bill G.

/ Still a bit Confused....but #7  
Bill,
You're making the right decision going bigger. Having more than enough power is NEVER a problem but having too little is ALWAYS a problem. I can't understand the dealers in other areas. Around here they are all nice as can be. They bend over backwards with service and hospitality. You don't see any of the stuff that I hear at other places. Just as an example on my new gator I caught the gate and broke the new fender. I called the dealer and said what happened and to get me a new one. Well that afternoon they came out and replaced it while I was at work for NO CHARGE, parts and all. I hadn't even asked them to replace it and had fully planned on paying for the new one as it was my fault. As far as dealer service you can take deere's to anyone around here and they will work on them in warranty or not.

As far as price goes I'd go for the lesser price. You will find that you will probably need very little done to that tractor, if ever, while it is warranty. After warranty I would find yourself a good mechanic that isn't in a shop. As good as the service at $50 and higher an hour compared to $20 an hour for an independent that's the way I go. I do all my own service and minor mechanic work so I rarely need one. The times that I do they have been more than helpful. Besides unless you are there all the time and buying from them all the time they aren't going to remember you much anyway.

/ Still a bit Confused....but #8  
More power can be a problem, if you have more power then you need, you will find yourself buying larger implements, it is instinct so don't ask me to explain it. Once you have larger implements you find yourself wishing you had an even bigger tractor so do yourself a favor and buy a JD 9520 then you should be ok for a few months.

/ Still a bit Confused....but
Lol
Rob
I don't know , I am now think you many be right ,, Lol That the JD 9520 might be just about the right size for my little 20 acre Wannabe hobby , type farm ....I will give this some more thought and crunch the numbers ,,, maybe able to make a deal if I buy more than 1 ...... You care to buy the second one , at 1 .999 x the cost ?
8 )
Thank You ALL
Bill G.
It is said we only pass this way once, and some of us , twice if we are not luck ,,,,,,

/ Still a bit Confused....but #10  
Large vs. small is not necessarily the issue. Before you buy the tractor try to think of everything you'll want to do with the machine. That includes all the possible implements you might need AND the specific requirements those implements have. You need to consider the lay of your land and whether that affects the ability to operate a tractor safely.

You're not going to be comfortable and safe operating a larger tractor with a high center of gravity on slopes. As far as considering implements such as a tiller you have to figure how much you can cover in one pass. If you want to cover the area from outside of wheel to outside of wheel you have to buy a wide implement or you may find that you have to buy one that can be offset and do the work but take two passes. Either will have hp requirements that may or may not match your tractor whether it is large or small unless you do homework before buying the tractor. FWIW 30hp is plenty for running a square baler.

If the layout of your land poses maneuverability issues you may find that a smaller tractor will work where a larger tractor will be inpractical.

As far as JD dealers being difficult to deal with, that was one of the reasons I bought a Kubota. I didn't want to deal with a JD dealer after the sale and there are three within an hour and a half..