JD 2305 vs. BX24

/ JD 2305 vs. BX24 #1  

archerynut

Platinum Member
Tractor
Looking again
Currently in the market for a SCUT. I have narrowed the field to the JD 2305 and the Kubota BX24. Have tried both models and liked both. Just wanted to have some others weigh in on the issue. I have about 8 acres that does no have many steep hills. About 4 acres of grass to mow and some areas that I want to brush hog and then plant trees (small orchard). I also have some construction and landscape projects that I want to do myself, hence the need (or want) for the BH.

Here's what I am after:
FEL
60 or 62 inch MMM
BH
Tooth bar for FEL
Filled turf tires
Snowplow
Ballast box
Thinking about a rake to care for 700' gravel drive.
Thinking about 4' brush hog to clear some areas. (later)

The BH for the 2305 was just introduced and haven't heard any feedback on that yet. Haven't found a 2305 w/BH at a dealer to try yet. The JD FEL bucket is 53" and the BX is 48" The JD has more lift capacity also. However, the JD hydralic pump outout is less than the BX (5.2 gpm vs. 6.3 gpm). Is this a big deal? As far a pricing is concerned, it is pretty close. I can give specifics if anyone is interested. When it comes to dealers and support, I found 1 Kubota dealer that was awful, and 1 that was great, both JD dealers were OK.

/ JD 2305 vs. BX24 #2  
Archerynut,

Well you have come to the right place. There is a ton of great (and some not so great) information on this site. You will be able to spend many hours using the search function digging stuff up.

I too was in your position last year and ended up with th BX24.

I came from a JD lawn tractor and 50 year old CUT. And started out at the JD dealer. The 2305 is a great machine, but in my case the BX came up the winner. I also mow, bushhog, remove snow, dig, move materials and do many other tractor related tasks. 200+ hour and not one mechanical problem. Yes the fender cracked, but was promptly replaced under warrantee.

Our properties and needs are similar and I believe you will be happy with this class of machine. Some will argue, but they really are tractors, tough ones at that.

My advice: Read, try them out, filter through stuff you read here, read, try them out some more and determine what machine and dealer is best for you. Also don't get super tied-up worrying about specs. My BX will lift a heaping bucket of dirt, gravel, whatever.....They all do and are all very close in performance and reliability. To get more performance you will need to get a bigger machine. Only you can answer if that is necessary, despite what you will read here.

If you have any questions before and after purchase, this is a great place to ask them.

Good Luck,

Last edited:
   / JD 2305 vs. BX24
Renob,
Did you go with the BX24 because it came with the BH?

What price range were you in with the attachments that you got with the tractor?

I like the folding ROPS with the BX24 (for mowing around trees), the JD has a fixed ROPS, but I have heard that you can get aftermarket ROPS that fold for the JD.

/ JD 2305 vs. BX24 #4  
Both are fine machines and you won't go wrong with either.

One may spec out a little better in one catagory yet under spec a little bit in another. The real disfferences are so minor as to be non factors.

It basically boils down to which seat fits your seat the best :D

I would question as to why theres no 2305 w/ BH available for you to test out though. I wouldn't buy a pig in a poke :D

I went through a similar situation a few yrs ago. I was able to rule out the JD as I couldn't find a local dealer I wanted to do business with. I didn't rule out the JD because of specs and I liked the way both the 2210 & 4100 fit. On the other hand I found the two Kubota dealers I went to be more user friendly so all I had to do was pick the model I wanted and work out the best deal.
Ends up I went w/the BX23 which JD didn't have a model to compete w/it at the time.
Good luck

/ JD 2305 vs. BX24 #5  
Hee hee;

this is deja-vu

I was in your EXACT spot a few months ago, looking at the exact same machine(s), (check out my infamous "landscaping" thread)!

With 8 acres and all the info I got from here I wound up with a Kubota B7800 with a backhoe (thanks guys...now I'm poor :( )

:D.

The BX24 was sweet but the ground clearance and certain vulnerable parts under it killed the deal for me (I have lots of brush work to do), and the 7800 was on sale for only about 5k more so for me it was a no brainer.

Read up and have fun!!!! I know I did! Your in for quite the eye opener.

/ JD 2305 vs. BX24 #6  
Archery,

I bought the BX24 with MMM for $16500.00 then added 5ft backblade $350, 4ft box blade $400, 4ft rototiller $1100. I already had the Bush Hog rotary cutter that I used with my old International 300. I also bought a skid plate to protect the hydro fan/filter that are exposed on the bottom of the machine.

I did need/want the backhoe for the numerous projects at hand. I struggled with the rent vs. own arguement for a long time and now have no regrets spending the extra for the hoe. If you can swing it get the hoe. There are many projects that just would not have been completed if not for the convenience of having the back hoe sitting in the garage/shop waiting to go.

/ JD 2305 vs. BX24 #7  
:)
Renob said:
Archery,

I bought the BX24 with MMM for $16500.00 then added 5ft backblade $350, 4ft box blade $400, 4ft rototiller $1100. I already had the Bush Hog rotary cutter that I used with my old International 300. I also bought a skid plate to protect the hydro fan/filter that are exposed on the bottom of the machine.

I did need/want the backhoe for the numerous projects at hand. I struggled with the rent vs. own arguement for a long time and now have no regrets spending the extra for the hoe. If you can swing it get the hoe.
1*There are many projects that just would not have been completed if not for the convenience of having the back hoe sitting in the garage/shop waiting to go.
1*No truer words ever spoked.

/ JD 2305 vs. BX24 #8  
archerynut said:
When it comes to dealers and support, I found 1 Kubota dealer that was awful, and 1 that was great, both JD dealers were OK.

One Kubota dealer that was great and two JD dealers that are ok?? I think you may have answered your own question. The tractors if in your mind are so close in specs then I would go with the dealer that you think is going to give you outstanding service after the sale. To me that is even more important than price within reason.

murph

/ JD 2305 vs. BX24
Right now the JD financing is a little bit better than the Kubota. 0% for 2 years vs. 0% for three years. I like spending other peoples money and letting mine sit in the bank.

I was all set to pull the trigger on the BX 24 until I stopped by the JD dealership and they mentioned the BH being available after the first of the year.

The Kubota dealership that was great was a small family owned company and the JD dealership was a larger outfit. The JD dealership and Kubota had the same shop capabilities. Just think the small dealership appealed to me more. Just wonder about the longevity of the small dealership.

/ JD 2305 vs. BX24 #10  
I read your comment and couldnt help but respond.. First of all I dont claim to be an expert by any means, but I too have recently turned to others for advice on this topic. I strongly agree with the responces that you have already got. I was trying to decide on green or orange and I recieved lots of good info from this sight. The funniest thing I heard from alot of people was "buy green man, its made in the USA". Well I later learned that John Deere wasnt made in the ole USA and its vin tag was stamped "Made in Japan". I liked them both but I liked the Kabota a little more. Bottom line is both these companies have been around along time and make quality equipt. I strongly support the comment about the dealership that made you feel the most at ease. I too was impressed with the local mom and pop dealership. I really enjoyed working with them and can picture myself just stoping buy to have a cup of coffee from this point on. I wouldnt worry about how long they will stay in business.......there still there because others felt the same way you did. I was also looking at the BX but decided to go with the B7610. I plan on using a post hole digger so I needed the extra height. Other than that I have heard great things about that BX and I thing you will be very happy with it.

"Orange is Good"
Chad