Buying first tractor-Ever!

/ Buying first tractor-Ever! #1  

ExpediteMike

Hello everyone-let me start by saying I know nothing about tractors but what I have read on the internet-especially this site. I am mechanically inclined so do understand most of what is said. Just moved onto 12 acre property that used to be a corn field. The ground topsoil is soft and lumpy and now during wet weather here in middle Tennessee is soft to say the least. We have a barn and 3 horses and the tractor will be used for cutting grass and need a FEL to move dirt and some gravel around. I don't want too big a tractor or I'm thinking one not too heavy due to soft ground. Please any advise would be appreciated. What I have been reading about the Chinese less expensive tractors has not been too appealing but don't need (or want to)to spend over $12500 . Please any suggestions, advise (especially brand/models to be considered) will be greatly appreciated.
I will be looking forward to your replies. Mike

/ Buying first tractor-Ever! #2  
lots of suggestions here, i'll just start out by keeping you eye open on a used tractor. you can usually get more or same tractor but with some implements.

good luck..

/ Buying first tractor-Ever! #3  
Well, since you are mechanically inclined, have you thought used? With your budget, that is where you need to be in the tractor + loader - China equation.

For $4-6000 you can find some pretty nice old ford tractors with an all hydraulic loader. Models in the 600/601, 800/801, 2000, 3000, 4000 range will be about the right size for you. The bigger the number the bigger the tractor. The 600-801 are of a series and are the more basic and older tractor. That series ended in 1964. The best ones will have a 5 speed transmission with live pto (2 stage clutch). The "thousand" series tractors are newer 1965+ and have more modern features.

They are all 2wd and can be gas or diesel. So for loader work, you will want wheel weights, fluid filled tires and a rear weight box or heavy implement.

I just saw an ad for a 601 with a loader for $2500 and it is in good shape. (In Minnesota - too far, sorry)

jb

On edit, if you search on e-steal (oops!) I mean, ebay and search by distance, you can find nice equipment that is close. Search for "tractor loader - trip". A trip bucket loader is a mechanically lowered bucket that is tripped to unlatch allow it to dump. You don't want that.

Also you can search Antique Tractors - Yesterday's Tractors : Antique Tractor Headquarters in the classifieds. I've seen much better deals there.

jb

/ Buying first tractor-Ever! #4  
You could find a Ford or NH 3930 with a loader for somewhere close to your figure. I bought a 3930 with no loader and 900 hours for $10K about two years ago. My pastor bought a 4wd 3930 with Bushhog loader and about 1400 hours for $14.5K at about the same time. Those tractors are about 48 engine hp I think. You can buy a new Farmtrac 535 with a loader for a little more than your budget. I bought a new one without loader for $11K in August of last year. I'm giving you all these figures just to give you an idea of ballpark figures.

If you are truly mechanically inclined, you can go the older gas-burner route like john_bud suggested. There is nothing more frustrating when you have a couple of hours after work or on a weekend to get some mowing or plowing done, but the blinkety-blank tractor won't run. You are much more likely to have that happen with an old gas-burner (or older diesel for that matter) than with a newer diesel machine.

All the tractors I have mentioned are ag utilities. In my opinion, you can get a whole lot more tractor for the money with a used (or new) ag-utility than with a consumer-oriented CUT. There are bargains to be had if you don't mind using a clutch and shifting old-fashioned gear type transmissions. Four wheel drive would be very nice, especially with a loader, but contrary to popular opinion, it isn't absolutely necessary.

To summarize, I think you should look for a new or used (1500 hours or so) 35 to 50 horse ag-utility tractor. I am partial to New Holland and Farmtrac, but there are others that are just as good.

/ Buying first tractor-Ever! #5  
Ride around and look at the farms in your area. I'll bet there are some with 2 or 3 tractors just sitting there. Stop in, introduce yourself, get to know the folks and see what the story is on the equipment. You might be able to pick up a nice tractor, cheap, just to get it out of their way. I give 500.00 for my old M Farmall, and that was the way I found it. My neighbor has 4 tractors, and he only uses 1, the newest (Kubota with FEL).

/ Buying first tractor-Ever!
Thanks for the advice so far. I started off thinking used was best but I tell you, there does not seem to be anything used in good enough condition around here, especially with FEL. I need to get something pretty quick and I don't need something that will require repair or will be a problem. Was looking at Kioti LB1914 new which with 48" bucket is well within my price range but am concerned about the 19hp not being enough. I don't intend to be using the tractor a whole lot for moving dirt and gravel but it needs to be able to do the job. Any opinions on this? Thanks.

i

/ Buying first tractor-Ever! #8  
The Kioti is a good deal, they are clearing that model out. I have a 19hp Yanmar and move dirt, gravel and manure all the time. Smaller tractor = more trips but it does the job. You will be limited though to about a 4' rotary cutter and if you have to cut that 12 acres frequently you will want a bigger tractor. Of course you could always go the route of CUT for moving materials, working in your barn, etc and pick up cheap, old iron for mowing. I, too, bought a Farmall for $500 from a neighbor just for pulling my manure spreader.

/ Buying first tractor-Ever!
Really now considering new LB1914 Kioti from Little Tractor in Illinois but concerned about gear drive and 19hp. Since never had a tractor before just concerned about operating it and worried about wearing out the clutch. Again, it will only be used occasionally with small bushhog and light bucket work on flat property and around small barn. Any opinions?

/ Buying first tractor-Ever! #10  
I used a gear drive JD for 7 yrs doing all types of tasks including FEL work and never had any problems with the clutch. It was a 28 hp so a bit bigger than the 1914 but I think you will be surprised at how much work you will be able to do with that tractor.