Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware!

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #111  
Honestly I felt worse for the guys that spent $10k on the worn out T300 than I did for the guys that got the MT-52 w/trencher running on two cylinders for $2000-2500 or the TC35 w/loader with the oil leak for $4000.

Seems like at those prices, nobody got hurt too bad!

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #112  
Brain - I'd like to thank you for taking the time to disclose personal examples of the "tricks of the trade". Having spent some time around pro-mechanics, I know a bit about the games that are played, but many people do not.

For anybody that hasn't invested time in privately chatting with professional mechanics, you are in for an education. In a typical retail operation (not saying all, but many), mechanics are under huge pressure to oversell repairs. YEARS ago, a friend described helping out somebody who had been told that their rear brakes on their minivan were shot - brakes were actually in tip top shape, no fluid leaks - the real kicker was that the factory stud clips used to hold the drum on during manufacture had never been removed - clearly, neither drum had even been removed, EVER.

I know a mechanic who went into selling pro-tools on the road, largely because he got disgusted with having to constantly stick it to customers in the shops he worked in. A slow-down in the economy just amplifies the pressure on individual mechanics, in many shops.

"He who pays the piper, calls the tune". I accept that you wouldn't do that in your own business, nor if you had the luxury of working for the poster here who deliberately took a $7500 hit he could have avoided. Unfortunately, aside from a few of my close friends, few business people today have those kind of principles.

Again Brain - thanks for sharing. The situation you described I suspect played some role in you deciding to go into business for yourself.

Rgds, D.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #113  
Gees. Can't even send your junk to the auction anymore without someone making you feel bad. Thought that's what consignment auctions were for?

If you can't look at a piece of equipment that you know no history on, set a price of what you can safely pay for it, then stay below that number, you need to buy at a reputable dealership and keep out of the auction house. Craigs List & Swap Meets fall in the same category.

I like to keep in my safe zone. I don't know how to do taxes so I pay someone else do them for me. They also have me check equipment out for them. Seems to work out pretty good for the both of us.

It makes me laugh when someone that has no clue about equipment buys a total piece of crap at the auction and braggs about what a deal they got. Everyone with an Iphone and access to Tractorhouse is a machine pricing guru now.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #114  
I buy stuff all the time via Auctions. For our farm and company. I buy everything from Tractors to heavy duty trucks.

The key to an auction is not spending too much. Go in with a price figure that includes worse case scenario. I just bought an International 9200i Eagle, day cab with a cat engine.

I spent exactly what I had in mind, because it was a good deal even if I had to do major work to it. (Which, fortunately I didn't.) Yes, it needed work done to it. Yes, it needed body work done to it, and with 700,000 miles on the clock, being in the trucking industry, I know what I was dealing with. Frame scaling, brakes, tires, body work, rods and mains.

Exactly what I did to it and exactly how I had it priced. I had the frame stretched anyways, I always do brakes (put US made drums on), the body work I planned on and the rods and mains I planned on.

It worked out perfect.

Being a good auction buyer is simply this: Do your homework, know what you're looking for and at.

I've seen people pay retail price, for a 9 year old brush hog. (1300, had the original price / receipt with it of 900...)

I've also seen a Massy 2410 with a loader, backhoe and mower, go for 13,400 this past summer - it had 74 hours on it. (Wish I had the money)

You, the BUYER, are responsible. You're buying a used piece of equipment, unless it states 'under warranty', you have to accept it. If you're save 10% or 20% off retail price of brand new - not worth it. If you're saving 60-70%+? Worth it. People pay way too much because they get auction fever.

Last edited:
   / Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #115  
I agree with Foxtrot08.

In an auction, i feel to be successful you need to be aware what your top price is and stick with it. Buyer beware, you may end up buying something that isn't what you hoped it to be, with used or new equipment.

Brain55 pointed out some of the things that are done to make the equipment, it's not a kids game, thanks for posting. The prices they got for the equipment didn't look to out of place for the quality they received.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #116  
I look for whats wrong with equipment at the auction, if nothing, plan for something big, pay accordingly, never been hurt too bad. It is a quick, exciting venue and way too many times I have seen people way over bid. It really helps with another person watching and warning you if things get out of control. I show up early, thoroughly check the equipment I want, determine my price cap, and stick too it. I do not feel the auction company has any responsibility. If you are not knowledgable enough about a piece of equipment to asses its value and bid accordingly, maybe you should choose a different venue to purchase.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #117  
Okay, I stopped a machine from smoking. I put a plug in an already threaded hole to hide a leak, and I epoxied a key in the end of crankshaft rather than replace the crank. The only one of those that it would take a truly trained eye or operator to discover, is the plug in the clutch housing. The little MT52 was obviously running on two cylinders and the crank pulley had a wobble to it that all you had to do was open the hood to see. Even out here in California you would be hard pressed to get anywhere with a claim of fraud.

I would not do something like that. I can't believe you risked your name/ reputation by doing that.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #118  
Ive have fairly good experiences buying online from auctions, proxybid ebay and auction time. Ebay is best because of the rateing system and feedback. I mainly look for the quantity of information, and then try to interpet its quality. I prefer to buy from individuals not jockeys. Jockeys seem to deliberately know nothing except "shes a fine looking Deere here boys fresh off the farm".
The auction circuit is impressive, I seem the same machines listed on multiple site around the south until it sells. I prefer to buy from the owner then second from a reckognized dealer.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #119  
The famous Ritchie 5 gallon overhaul exists. Ive seen clods of dirt painted on machines. Keep sprayin' till it looks smooth ;)

While Brain's post may have offended some people, its a fact of life, especially at a RB auction. Going to a RB auction, especially if your rushed or uneducated/unprepared is like swimming with sharks. You might get lucky.. but the odds arent in your favor.

I watched people bid and buy chinese made tool boxes at a RB auction. They paid more than they were worth new in the store. Or $2500 for a 13yr old ATV that wont move. People have no clue.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #120  

.....I watched people bid and buy chinese made tool boxes at a RB auction. They paid more than they were worth new in the store. Or $2500 for a 13yr old ATV that wont move. People have no clue.

This is actually healthy in that it weeds out the uninitiated and teaches the lessons of life their parents and life's history should have taught them. Bet the guy will be smarter the next time and we didn't need a law to explain the obvious to someone not willing to listen.

Seriously, if there is a law on Ohio on auction honesty, it's nowhere to be found. That's whay auction prices are cheap.