Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware!

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #141  
I have bought lots of stuff at auctions and not bought a far greater amount because it didn't look, sound or feel right. New paint is a red flag as is any mechanical part that has been taken apart or looks too clean or tampered with and I'll pass on most of that stuff. Same thing with leaks or welds or anything that causes me to think "Hmmmm....".

Auction buyers need to have a sixth sense to stay out of trouble and in every case I can recall, the warning signs were there. I have passed on some equipment that looked fishey, maybe really obviously so, and watched others bid or buy without with no more than a casual examination.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #142  
Buyers attending an auction of any kind need to be familiar with whatever they are buying. Look the item over and offer a lowball price, assume you may be buying a pig in a poke. This isn't a place where tractor newbies should buy without an experienced mechanic to look it over beforehand. I would also add that it is a poor place to sell your good used tractor because it will be lowballed for the same reasons.

Can't imagine myself buying a used tractor that I didn't take the time to look over closely and try out. Doesn't matter if it had 25 hours or 2500 hours and I would be wondering why it was traded off to an auction house to sell. Seems most dealers would keep this on their own lots in most cases.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #143  
Anybody read the thread about the John Deere 110 someone bought and its former owner glued bolt heads on broken bolts?

Yes, a JD TLB 110, not the lawn & garden 110. He actually fixed it right, working outside, not in a shop. I applaude him. May KARMA catch up with the seller.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #144  
I've witnessed that too. My friend bought a John Deere 310 backhoe once. There were two. One was beat, but was all sandblasted and painted up shiny. The other looked like crud. He bought the ugly looking one cheap and the shiny one got bid way up. The shiny one worked in rock all it's life and was beat. His was problem free and had a bunch of new valves, etc. didn't even have a leak.

Amazing, eh? A spray can overhaul will sell anything to fools with money!!

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #145  
Yes, a JD TLB 110, not the lawn & garden 110. He actually fixed it right, working outside, not in a shop. I applaude him. May KARMA catch up with the seller.

Yea, That's the dude. May he rot in Kubota h ll

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #146  
Buyers attending an auction of any kind need to be familiar with whatever they are buying. Look the item over and offer a lowball price, assume you may be buying a pig in a poke. This isn't a place where tractor newbies should buy without an experienced mechanic to look it over beforehand. I would also add that it is a poor place to sell your good used tractor because it will be lowballed for the same reasons.

Can't imagine myself buying a used tractor that I didn't take the time to look over closely and try out. Doesn't matter if it had 25 hours or 2500 hours and I would be wondering why it was traded off to an auction house to sell. Seems most dealers would keep this on their own lots in most cases.

Brian is not too far from me... if I ever go to an auction... I will pay him to go with me.

My family has been in the car business since the 1920's. I asked my Grandfather why he never went to the actions and he said it was because the quaility was questionable with no recourse.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #147  
Brian is not too far from me... if I ever go to an auction... I will pay him to go with me.

My family has been in the car business since the 1920's. I asked my Grandfather why he never went to the actions and he said it was because the quaility was questionable with no recourse.

Good idea and I would recommend you try to find a private deal with this method.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #148  

I'd be happy to go too. I know I created some doubters here, but go into my profile and look for the thread I started about the free to me B7100 and look at the amount of work I did to make that tractor right. The person that got that machine got a great little tractor for $3500. I'd post the link but it is tough to do on my phone.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #149  

But times have changed and dealers here rareley keep any used on their lots at all . A lot of it ends up at auctions .

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #150  
But times have changed and dealers here rareley keep any used on their lots at all . A lot of it ends up at auctions .

I don't think it so much that times have changed as much as the dealers don't wan't "the pig in a poke" either. Since the dealerships in most cases have to offer some form of limited warranty they are reluctant (understandably) to take the chance on some of the trade ins. A tractor that they have performed all the service and lof's on and are familiar with the owner is a better bet. One reason the dealers are hesitant to keep used tractors on the lot is they are tying up capital with out the benefit of floor planning. So if cash is tight then cash in the trade at auction. Anyway you look at it the dealers are culling the less desirable tractors.