Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware!

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #21  
I feel your pain.

The fact that RB is large.. means notheing.. their goal is to sell high, to get more BP and commissions.

What the others are saying is probably true.. you didn't fully inspect.. and that may be the end of their legal responsibilities. However.. i think I'd plunk down 75$ more bucks and ask a lawyer anyway. he'll either tell ya 'go pound sand'.. or 'maybee'.

Can't hurt.. except for the consultation fee.. may or may not help.

Soundguy

GeauxLSU said:
I tried to get someone more knowledgeable than I to accompany me but during the week, it's a lot to ask, but being such a large company I assumed.....and of course I needn't say more. Yep, like I said, life's tuition payments. Just giving out a free internet correspondence course in the hopes I may save others from that same tuition payment.

Thanks for the comment on the Tigers. It was nice to watch. I'll refrain from beating up on the Irish. They got enough of that in the Superdome. ;)

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #22  
GeauxLSU said:
Anybody ever use them?
Bought a tractor from them (basically new 15 hours) and it was raining like crazy that day so inspection was not practical. I figured it was new, if it made it to the auction block and looked good, bid away. It did. I did, and paid top dollar for the item as advertised. 2005 Kubota L3130 HYDROSTATIC drive. Well long story short, it's NOT hyrdrostatic. Not even GST. It's simply a manual. :mad:
After a few calls and eMails, let me see if I can translate their response, "Go pound sand." This was my favorite direct quote though "If we made it right for every customer who bought an item that we inaccurately described, we'd go bankrupt." :eek:

Another of life's tuition payments I guess... :(

I have a 2005 Kubota B7510HST (= hydrostatic transmission) (or HSD=hydrostatic drive) that I bought new in May05. Kubota pasted an "HSD" decal on both fenders to make sure that buyers know what type of tranny they're getting. My guess is that the L3130 has the same "HSD" decal on those hydrostatic drive models.

RB likely has a disclaimer about the buyer verifying the information in their blurbs.

Don't think a lawsuit has much merit here.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #23  
GeauxLSU said:
Redlevel,

When I said I paid 'top dollar' I meant MY top dollar for what I thought a 15 hour tractor of that model, HST with FEL and warranty was worth around here. $15k. (New dealers quoted $18-21). The price difference I was quoted on an HST to DT was $1,000 to $1,250. I would NOT have paid $15k for it but would have given $14k. In actuality I wouldn't even have gone had I known it was a DT but knowing that after the fact I would have assumed $14 to be MY value placed on it given the quoted price difference on transmissions.

I read all the posts and agree with everyone (you too) in your arguments. I despise false advertisement, no matter what the pretense. But, I agree with all the rest that you should have inspected it further.

However, in reading your post (above), I don't think you got the "shaft" at all. If you paid 15k for a Kubota L3130,with 15 hours, FEL and a warranty, even if it's a manual tranny, you did well in my opinion (see disclaimer below).

My reasoning is this: I just bought a new 2007 Kubota L3130 4x4 with HST for $13860.00, before tax of 1.5%. That brought my grand total (out the door) to $14067.00. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think even if it's a manual tranny and not 4x4 in your case, you got a fair deal, maybe not the best deal in the world, but a fair one nonetheless. It's basically a brand new tractor and the FEL offsets the 4x4 and HST additional cost. ****, I put 11 hours on mine the first weekend I had it and didn't even do too much:)

The question to ask (even though it's not the same situation as buying from an auction) is if you went to a dealer and had bought the same thing, what would you have spent for a tractor fresh from the creight and no hours, 'cause in my opinion (see disclaimer below again) you got a brand new tractor?

Just trying to rationally make you feel better about your purchase. Like someone else said before, I bet you'll like it once you use it for a while.

-Podunk

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #24  
I'd say you did pretty good. It's not a great idea to buy anything at auction unless you are very familliar with it and know what it's worth. There is no way auction companies can have detailed knowledge on everything they sell. I've bought plenty of stuff at auction that the description was totally inaccurate and the auction company really had no idea what it was. Of course I knew what it was. If you really want an HST sell it or trade it in to a dealer on what you want. I don't think you will get anywhere with the auction company.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #25  
Although most everyone has noted that you may not have a good basis for a lawsuit, just the possiblility of having to go into court may move RB's (or the original owner) to offer something to make you go away. How much of a refund would it take to make you happy?

I've been involved in lawsuits through my job many times, and the reality is most disclaimers are simply put there to discourage lawsuits. They have some weight but so do fraud and disception. Same goes for those waivers you sign when skiing or going on an amusement ride (the proverbial "at your own risk" kind of bullhocky). I'd at least ask a lawyer for advice, but only after you answer the question above....how much do you really want back - and then is it worth the trouble?

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #26  
I maybe missed it, but wondering which state the auction was held in and did you go to the auction or just do a proxy bid? If it is your home state then you should call your state Attorney Generals Office and ask for advice as to what department you should be contacting.

There may just be a state law that would protect you in this situation Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers is a major operation and have offices all around the United States, Canada and the rest of the world. For someone to tell you what they said to you will certainly get some ones attention.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Wayne

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #27  
Check you paper work and see if you signed a wavier.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware!
Podunk, mine is a 4x4 as well. "Fresh from the crate" around here for that tractor is $17k. I basically got a $2,000 discount.
Croom, I know what I wanted and what I felt it was worth. What I did not know (obviously) was that their basic info would be inaccurate. If they hadn't advertised what type transmission it was, that's one thing. But to spell out HYDROSTATIC on all their literature is another. Here's the real whizzer. They STILL have it listed that way in their auction results even though they are obviously now fully aware it's inaccurate. So now people scan their results and say "Hey, looks like a basically new 3130 with HST went for $15k from Ritchie brothers. Guess I'll go to the next one." They are now KNOWINGLY making their previous sales look like 'better deals' to potential buyers.
Champy, my thinking too....
Wayne, Georgia. I was there. I asked the guy how or why would people EVER proxy bid and especially internet bid (people were buying from all over the world literally) if the descriptions are so commonly inaccurate. He had no answer.
Bamat - I'm sure it's in there...

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #29  
Now I'm thoroughly convinced that you got one **** of a deal GeauxLSU! It's an Kubota L3130, 4x4, with an FEL and only 15 hours...and you got it for 15k!!! Dadgummit, you got a deal guy.

I'm no longer rationalizing...just the facts and the fact is, you got one **** of a deal for a "new" tractor.

Truth of the matter, I wanted an FEL on mine, but didn't want to spend the extra 3k for it. My logic dictated that my amount of usage (minimal) for the extra cost of an FEL didn't justify the expense. If I decide I need a front loader (ever), I can rent one from the local dealership for 185.00 for 10 engine hours of usage, and have it from Friday - Monday morning. Again, my reasoning told me that 3000 divided by 185 = 16 rentals or 160 hours of FEL'ing...I won't ever need that for my place.

Still, if I could have gotten the deal you got, I would have taken a manual tranny and an FEL for 15k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My "little helper":

Happy digging to ya-
---Podunk:)

Attachments

• DSCN0418.JPG
    DSCN0418.JPG
    954.2 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
   / Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #30  
Podunk, great looking tractor, it is spotless! Was that taken when it was brand spankin new?
I agree with you, Geaux got a good deal, but it's not what he wanted, maybe you and he could make a trade!!