Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware!

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #31  
Oleozz said:
Podunk, great looking tractor, it is spotless! Was that taken when it was brand spankin new?
I agree with you, Geaux got a good deal, but it's not what he wanted, maybe you and he could make a trade!!

I got the tractor stuck while box-blading some small hills down. The earth around here is red clay and it stuck to the tractor so badly I had to break out my pressure washer to clean it up. This picture was actually taken the day before the one posted before...kind of a before and after.

Attachments

• DSCN0404.JPG
    DSCN0404.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 641
  • DSCN0405.JPG
    DSCN0405.JPG
    329.1 KB · Views: 608
  • DSCN0418.JPG
    DSCN0418.JPG
    954.2 KB · Views: 561
   / Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #32  
Akkk people who have garages and equipment that clean make me ill!!!!! My stuff was never that clean the day I bought it.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #33  
There was a thread on TBN (that I can't find now) about an auction company that was routinely selling brand new skidsteer attachments, WITHOUT RESERVE, made by Thomas. One poster who had attended these auctions was suspicious that they always seemed to have a phone in bid or internet bid that won the item when the local bid was low. It would be interesting to copy the serial numbers on those attachments and compare them with the units at their next auction, if a guy had an axe to grind.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #34  
Jimbrown said:
Akkk people who have garages and equipment that clean make me ill!!!!! My stuff was never that clean the day I bought it.

I know...it's a curse! But, I can always find stuff when I need it and don't have to "hunt" for it. As for the equipment, I was taught to take care of my property. It will last longer (dirt/mud is a catalyst for corrosion), and besides, it's a pride issue.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #35  
I have a Case 1550 dozer that has three hydraulic pumps. One for each track and one for the blade. A year and a half ago, they started to loose power when it was warmed up. It got so bad that the tracks would stop moving when I lifted the blade.

I went to Case and talked to the mechanincs about it. They said it could be just about anything and they needed to have it in the shop to look at it.

After a week of testing and running it, they concluded that all three hydraulic pumps were bad and needed replacing. Cost for this would be $60,000. Since that's twice what the dozer is worth, I declined. I also know from that I can pull a pump and drive moter and have it rebuilt for $3,000. I've done it once already.

They agreed that it wasn't worth the expense to fix it and suggested I sell it at an auction. It ran great when cold and took about an hour for the problem to start. Anybody who tested it out would never know of the problem. What they said really made it a good idea for me is that I'm not liable for it after it's sold. Auctions are for those willing to gamble on what they get. It's almost expected that they will buy something with a hidden problem and they know this going in.

I thought about it, but also just figured I'd keep running it like it is and either destroy it or come up with a better way to fix it. In the end, it turned out to be an adjustment that was out and when it started to get better on it's own, I was able to figure out the problem. It's running perfect now.

My point is that I feel allot of items are put up for sale at auction because it's too expensive to fix them. If somebody had bought mine at auction, he might have really bought a problem dozer. It was a simple fix in the end, but I also had to rebuild the engine last year. So that would have been an issue to the buyer that I didn't even know about at that time.

I think that if he'd bought the Kubota with the hydrostatic transmission that he wanted, the odds are good that it might have had something wrong with it. I'm still wondering why it was for sale at the auction in the first palce. It sold for less than it's worth, and the seller had to pay a comission to the auction house to sell it. If there is nothing wrong with the tractor, you will always get more money for it if you sell it yourself. Maybe it was just one of those things that the seller figured he could get more money for it listing the more expensive transmission? It just seems odd to me.

I'm happy you didn't get a tractor that doesn't run or has major mechanical issues. I think that's very much more likely when buying equipment from an auction. People sell there to get rid of stuff that they don't want to be held liable for down the road.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware!
Podunk,
That's a flat out garage full of toys right there! Where's the boat? ;)
Wish you were my neighbor...

JMC, yeah I've no doubt that sort of stuff happens. Here's the really odd thing I noticed happening there. If there was a lot of items, say 5 of the same type forklifts, high bidder got to choose as many of them as he wanted as his price. One or all five. Common practice I believe for many auctions. Then after he decided how many and which ones he wanted, anyone else could buy all or one of the remaining ones at that price. When nobobyd else wanted any and there were still lot items left, they open bidding again. Here's the kicker, the 2nd or sometimes third or fourth time they'd open bidding it would go for a HIGHER price than the first time it sold when it was offered to everyone for that price. :eek: And yes, I do remember they were occasionally 'internet bids'. :confused:

Eddie, I 'believe' they do a fair amount for repo houses/banks for defaults and simply companies that go bankrupt. etc... I'm assuming mine was a repo since the seat shows sun damage (meaning it's been sitting somewhere for a long while) and it's an '05 with those few hours but who knows. If it has a problem, they presumably could have just taken care of it under warranty. I would have never bought one without warranty. I guess I still better verify that huh... :(

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #37  
Podunkadunk.. All i can say is wow.

i'm not an orange tractor fan.. but you have a beauty.

and I'm never going to let my wife see the pic of that garage...

You could get all us guys here in trouble!

Soundguy

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #38  
Soundguy said:
Podunkadunk.. All i can say is wow.

i'm not an orange tractor fan.. but you have a beauty.

and I'm never going to let my wife see the pic of that garage...

You could get all us guys here in trouble!

Soundguy

Thanks. I'd like to say I bust my arse keeping the garage looking like that, but it comes natural. I was in the military at one time, tidiness rubbed off I guess. I just put stuff back like I found it, it just stays that way. My wife "allows" me to do whatever I want in the garage, so I'm out there often;) kinda take pride in it being cleaned up.

Hey, I'm originally from a little town in central FL named Frostproof. You ever been through it?

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #39  
I go to a big tractor show in frostproof ( or near it - fl flywheelers park.. ft meade / avon park area ) a couple times a year.

That's a few hours south of me.. nice quiet drive though..

Soundguy

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #40  
I jut went to the Ritchie Brothers site to see what they say about the equipment they sell. Here is a quite from their site: "All Ritchie Bros. auctions are unreserved and open to the public. Every item sells to the highest bidder as is, where is on sale days.
You can inspect the trucks and equipment at all of our auction facilities anytime before the sale. All items are organized in a logical fashion for easy viewing and comparison."

as is ,where is seems to say it all. I don't mean to be harsh, but you had the opportunity to inspect and you choose not to use it. If you knew nothing about tractors, once again I think you should have brought someone that did.

At an auction you buy what is there. Many times it is junk. You usually do not know it's history. If you want exactly what you want then you go to a dealer and pay the asking price.

Anyway you got a good deal and there is nothing wrong with manual shift tractors. Enjoy.