Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware!

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #61  
charlesw said:
So... If you're using ebay or ironplanet how are you supposed to do that? You can't inspect ahead of time, eh? I was lucky enough that the ebay auction that I won was within driving distance - I went to pick up the tractor instead of having it delivered. And, oh, did the auctioneer ever know that it was grossly misrepresented! They're the ones with the cans of spray paint - making the tractors look good from certain angles and distances... Exactly as shown in their photos! But only from the distances and angles shown in their photos, oh, believe me!

He had the opportunity to inspect, but opted out due to inclement weather.
As for Ebay, there are all kinds of dispute arbitration procedures in place. It sounded like RB auction house doesn't offer the same protection that Ebay provides, it's a shame really. I don't know of the other place you mentioned, never dealt with them.

Lastly, there's a HUGE difference in buying something on Ebay for a few hundred bucks than 15k for something no matter where you buy it. If I am buying something for 15k, you can bet I'll be on it like rust on a pump-handle. Personally, I choose not to bid on anything (that I can't inspect) that the cost would hurt me significantly if I found out later that the item I was bidding on was "misrepresented".

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware!
Podunkadunk said:
Hp rating is wrong too. The 3130's net hp is 31hp. Gross (according to my manual) is 32.1hp. I can't find a "24" hp number anywhere in any of my literature, except for Kw and that's 23.1???

Another mistake in the advertisement?

My .02 worth. See disclaimer before the flaming begins.
Yeah you noticed that huh? I'm a finance guy. NUMBERS are my thing. Believe me when I say I had the numbers piece of this deal memorized. Tell me which model L3130 has 24 hp at the PTO. I bet you can answer it on the first guess without looking.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #63  
Podunkadunk said:
He had the opportunity to inspect, but opted out due to inclement weather.
As for Ebay, there are all kinds of dispute arbitration procedures in place. It sounded like RB auction house doesn't offer the same protection that Ebay provides, it's a shame really. I don't know of the other place you mentioned, never dealt with them.

Lastly, there's a HUGE difference in buying something on Ebay for a few hundred bucks than 15k for something no matter where you buy it. If I am buying something for 15k, you can bet I'll be on it like rust on a pump-handle. Personally, I choose not to bid on anything (that I can't inspect) that the cost would hurt me significantly if I found out later that the item I was bidding on was "misrepresented".
I would not bet the bank on Ebay's protection against "misrepresentation"! My experience says otherwise!

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #64  
I've heard a few horror stories about e-ay's 'dispute' arbitration' system. Same with paypal.. and customer feedback.. etc..

I try to do as little ebaying as possibly.. If I see something i can't live without.. then -maybee-.

I also keep a low credit limit credit card set aside solely for internet purchasing.. That way if anything bad does happen.. the transactions are limited. I know most banks limit liability to 50$.. but I ain't takin' any chances!

Soundguy

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #65  
Iowachild said:
I would not bet the bank on Ebay's protection against "misrepresentation"! My experience says otherwise!

I didn't say I bet on it..., nor did I "rate" it. I just said they have arbitration in place. It's better than nothing, i.e... the auction in question. Ebay is still based on trust if you think about it. The customer feedback is weak in my opinion, because half the time if I got something that wasn't quite like he/she described in the ad and I left a poor feedback, they'd just turn right around and slander me in my feedback, which in turn would cause me to retract my negative and they do likewise. Like I said several posts ago, I don't bid on anything too expensive (that I can't inspect). That way, once I receive it and look it over and find it's not up to par, I'm not out too much $. I don't prefer losing any money, but a hundred is a lot easier pill to swallow than several hundred...much less several thousand. ;)

Paypal is so-so. Nothing is fullproof. Even if you are on-sight and buy it after inspecting, you're likely to find something wrong once you get home or in a few weeks of operation. That's the "downfall" of buying used. You just don't know how the previous owner treated it, unless it's a close friend or neighbor.

As for Ebay, if you find something you like and they take Amex, use it. Amex has one of the best, if not the best, customer fraud/protection plans on the market. I've used them twice and both times after they investigated, I wasn't liable for the charges. Once, the charge was for $1019.00, although it wasn't an Ebay charge, but rather a moving company based out of S. FL. They promised the world and then after I put the retainer down, I never heard back from them....yada, yada, yada. When I asked them to credit my Amex, they refused. One call to Amex for services not rendered by the moving company and that's all it took. After 60 days, I received a letter from Amex stating they are sorry for the problem and I owed nothing. All money was recovered from said shady-movers.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #66  
We all read about problems with ebay and fraud but in my case it was a good experience. I sold a JD 870 on ebay to a man from the midwest, I got my asking price, he got the exact tractor that he had been looking for. I tried to throw in a few extras that I had no use for to help make up for the trip that he had to make (a snow plow, a 3pt lifter, front weights, etc.). He left happy and I was able to get a much better price selling it privately than any of the tractor dealers were willing to give me to trade it in. Ebay does have its merits but you have to watch out for the unscrupulous.

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #67  
Oleozz is right. Most Ebayers are of good moral character, just like you and I out to get rid of something for a decent price, fair both to me and the buyer. I really enjoyed Ebay back in the day before it became the mega-machine it is now and publicly traded on the stock market.

Another GREAT place to shop online is craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

You can isolate to your region/city...so if you want it, you can go look at it first. I feel it won't be long and craigslist will be bought out and either commercialized or written off as competition lost.

-Podunk

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #68  
Podunkadunk said:
I didn't say I bet on it..., nor did I "rate" it. I just said they have arbitration in place. It's better than nothing, i.e... the auction in question. Ebay is still based on trust if you think about it. The customer feedback is weak in my opinion, because half the time if I got something that wasn't quite like he/she described in the ad and I left a poor feedback, they'd just turn right around and slander me in my feedback, which in turn would cause me to retract my negative and they do likewise. Like I said several posts ago, I don't bid on anything too expensive (that I can't inspect). That way, once I receive it and look it over and find it's not up to par, I'm not out too much $. I don't prefer losing any money, but a hundred is a lot easier pill to swallow than several hundred...much less several thousand. ;)

Paypal is so-so. Nothing is fullproof. Even if you are on-sight and buy it after inspecting, you're likely to find something wrong once you get home or in a few weeks of operation. That's the "downfall" of buying used. You just don't know how the previous owner treated it, unless it's a close friend or neighbor.

As for Ebay, if you find something you like and they take Amex, use it. Amex has one of the best, if not the best, customer fraud/protection plans on the market. I've used them twice and both times after they investigated, I wasn't liable for the charges. Once, the charge was for $1019.00, although it wasn't an Ebay charge, but rather a moving company based out of S. FL. They promised the world and then after I put the retainer down, I never heard back from them....yada, yada, yada. When I asked them to credit my Amex, they refused. One call to Amex for services not rendered by the moving company and that's all it took. After 60 days, I received a letter from Amex stating they are sorry for the problem and I owed nothing. All money was recovered from said shady-movers.
I was only trying to make the point that with any auction Caveat emptor applies!:)

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #69  
Iowachild said:
I was only trying to make the point that with any auction Caveat emptor applies!:)

Kinda got on my soap box there for a bit. Sorry 'bout that:)

/ Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers - Buyer beware! #70  
I also realize that auctions are buyer beware and auctioneer assumes no liability but what happens when you buy an item that is "stolen"? Does the auction house still have no liability? Just wondering. Bill C