Tires for BX2200?

/ Tires for BX2200? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I will be buying a BX2200 shortly to use for mowing my lawn and doing some rough mowing (approx.20hrs/yr) with a brush hog around the trees on my xmas tree farm. I am debating between buying turf tires or the bar tires. My concern with the turf tires is that they may not hold up when cutting brush. Will the resulting small stumps puncture the tires? This has never been a problem with the old Ford NAA Jubilee tractor that I have used in the past but then again I think it's tires are probably far more puncture resistant than Kubota's BX2200 turf tires. Please let me know if you have had any experience with brush cutting with the turf tires...........Thanks!
PS. Also do you recommend a 40" or 48" hog?

/ Tires for BX2200? #2  
Dan,
I run truf tires year round on my B7100 even brush cutting,and I have one small section thats really nasty..stumps,rocks,thron apples and the tires have no marks,for I just take my sweet time and putter thru.
I also run chains on the rear tires when brush cutting..its a great help.

Good luck on your quest for your new BX2200

/ Tires for BX2200? #3  
Hmmmmmm, I think you should get the bar tires and still you should expect an occasional puncture. You will find the bar tires on the BX fairly soft and offer good flotation so they are not bad on your lawn,
Brush Hog--well----I think if it is light brush, mostly weeds and grass then the 48 inch should be ok but if it is small trees and such then the 42 inch. To use the 48 inch hog you will need the front weights or the FEL to be installed--that is what I think.
I really do wish there were R4 type tires for the BX with a heavier casing and more puncture resistence. It would be a nice addition to the BX options.
J

/ Tires for BX2200? #4  
Dan in Green Bay,

If you think punctures are going to be a problem you could have the tires foamed. A bit more expensive than the R4's would be but currently available. Or you could try either turfs or ags with a puncture seal liquid added. As for the brush cutter I'd say whichever works best for your tree spacing. Smaller is sometimes better for manuvering under and between the trees.

Go Pack!
Michael

/ Tires for BX2200?
Thanks to everyone for their comments and advice. One question though, what's "foaming" the tires, how is it done, how much does it cost and could I do it myself? I am guessing that its something like the green slime that we put in our ATV tires only some kind of foam. Does it add any appreciable amount of ballast weight to the tires? Does it set up or stay liquid? Sorry I guess that was more than one question.....
I guess my poor brain is too busy thinking about wether or not the Packers are going to beat the odds in St Louis...

/ Tires for BX2200? #6  
I did have problems with my turfs when using my finish mower as a brush hog. I don't think that ags would have done any better, though in this respect...I've seen them and they don't seem to be that much heavier at the tread for the BX. In my experience, it's always the front that get the puctures, the rears seem to be thick enough to avoid the problem for the most part. I solved the problem by filling my front tires with Arnco's Superflex. Generally foam filling will fix the problem as well, but the foam gives you a hard ride. The Superflex is really a thick jel, and it gives just like a tire filled with air, but since it fills the tire, no more leaks. Ever. It also adds about 45 pounds of weight for each tire and cost me about $120 total for both tires to have them filled. (you can't fill them yourself, as it's a two step process and you need special equipment). In short, I highly recommend it.

/ Tires for BX2200? #7  
Dan,

While I'm recovering from the loss I'll distract myself with your questions. Tire foaming is generally used for industrial equipment (skid steers and such) to prevent down time from punctures and tears. The initial process was rock hard but durable as all get out offering tire life of double and triple. You could pretty much wear all the tread off and then some because the tire was a solid. Improvements lead to the superflex foam which has the characteristics of air fill for ride but durability of foam. Another side advantage is it is quite heavy, more than CaCl fill density, and it will never leak. A down side is it still a solid so you have to saw the tire off the rim or replace the rim at the same time.

It isn't like the green slime or other puncture protection products in that it solidifies and completely fills the tires. The balast aspect is what interested me in it. If I recall correctly I was quoted ~130 lbs per rear turf tire (Let me know if you want me to lookup the exact number). You need to remove the tires and take them into the shop. They'll fill them and pressurize them as you want. They need a couple days to cure and they will stay at that pressure once cured. The downside for me was prices were quoted for $1.25 to $1.45 per pound. If I could have gotten to $1.00/lb I would have gone that route. I opted for wiper fluid which adds 80lb/tire. I plan to try that and see if it is enough for snowblowing and not too much for mowing. Depending on the outcome I may buy another set of tires and have them foamed.

Hope that helps,
Michael