Ever had a pricing bait-n-switch?

/ Ever had a pricing bait-n-switch? #1  

Champy

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 990
Recently called a couple of dealers looking for an implement. All prices were in the same ballpark ~$50 +/-.......so I went to where I bought my tractor to keep the business local. They had quoted me $540 on the phone, but when I showed up the price had jumped to $700! I was surprised (since I went there planning on writing a check), and even asked them to meet another dealer's quote without success. Now I'm going 25 miles away to buy the same item for $525 (I called them twice to verify price) .....maybe I should consider getting all my parts, maintenance and service done at the second dealer too.

Anyone else had a dealer jump prices from what they quoted? Is this common?

Thanks

/ Ever had a pricing bait-n-switch? #2  
Never
i'd be pissed :mad:
Did you talk with the manager/owner?

That's ridiculous, esp for a part.
a part costs X.

/ Ever had a pricing bait-n-switch? #3  
Champy said:
Recently called a couple of dealers looking for an implement. All prices were in the same ballpark ~$50 +/-.......so I went to where I bought my tractor to keep the business local. They had quoted me $540 on the phone, but when I showed up the price had jumped to $700! I was surprised (since I went there planning on writing a check), and even asked them to meet another dealer's quote without success. Now I'm going 25 miles away to buy the same item for $525 (I called them twice to verify price) .....maybe I should consider getting all my parts, maintenance and service done at the second dealer too.

Anyone else had a dealer jump prices from what they quoted? Is this common?

Thanks

I've had a few TRY, only to see me walk away.

A dealer that's been in business for a while has seen it happen a few times, no hard feelings most likely. It's a competitive business, and you can't win 'em all.

If it's $20 difference, maybe I'll stick with the shortest trip. $175, I'll take a ride. Most people would. The dealer probably would himself, in the same situation.

I've bought the majority of my newer "stuff" from one salesman at a local dealer. I bought a new 6' Bush Hog 286 last spring. He carried BH, but was $140 higher than another dealer close by. I bought from the cheaper priced dealer. Higher priced dealer still sent me a Christmas card.

I've been quoted prices by a salesman who was recalling the LAST piece he sold. Prices go up. Dealership won't let him sell for less than new price. I'm not excusing that. A GOOD salesman won't quote prices unless he's SURE. Giving a price then raising it can create hard feelings.

/ Ever had a pricing bait-n-switch? #4  
This is not unusual when someone who is not supposed to come up with prices decides they know more than they do. For instance, if a dealer commonly gives a 20% discount for parts, then the person quotes a 20% discount, but in reality that may be only for parts not shipped by truck, or parts in inventory, or parts for major customers, or parts for tractors they sold.

The trick anytime you call for a price, is to ask for the persons name when you get the price. It makes all the difference in the world when they ask that person and they admit to giving that price.

There are people who will go to a dealership and claim to have received a price over the phone, but never called at all.

Cliff

/ Ever had a pricing bait-n-switch?
I don't see how there was any salesman incompetencies involved here. The same salesman who sold be the tractor; FEL; RC; etc.... was involved, and he's the exclusive guy for CUT products. Needless to say I was dumbfounded........quoting 540 and then jumping to 700 was not "in the ballpark". I walked and will buy from another dealer.

The real downside is that I always make an effort to buy from local business owners. If he had been within $50 I still would have bought it. Now instead of making a couple extra hundred, he's at risk of losing all my business - repairs; maintenance; upgrades; implements; trade-ins; etc.... over the life of my tractor ownership.

/ Ever had a pricing bait-n-switch? #6  
i dont know if you did this when you called but i will get the name of the person quoting the price and see that person when i go to buy.

/ Ever had a pricing bait-n-switch? #7  
randy41 said:
i dont know if you did this when you called but i will get the name of the person quoting the price and see that person when i go to buy.

I would have told salesman to write up a slip,with price qouted,
And, I will be there in a hour/day to pick it up.

/ Ever had a pricing bait-n-switch?
randy41 said:

Randy - Yeah, I knew who it was by name, and it was the same guy I talked with in person that gave me the quote.

At one point I thought it may have been a year-end make my sales quota kind of a deal because the quote over the phone was given just after Xmas, and now I go in and it is a higher price - but when I called the other dealer their price is still the same now as before, so go figure.........

/ Ever had a pricing bait-n-switch? #9  
Dont walk, RUN to the other dealers, then drive by & show him & the manager what you bought at their competitors.:mad:

That ought to make his day, like he made yours:D

We stick by our prices, no matter what, our word is still worth something.

Ernie

/ Ever had a pricing bait-n-switch? #10  
I would at least talk to the owner/manager, tell him what transpired, and why you don't plan to bring him any more money. Then give him a chance to check it out and offer some logical explanation or maybe to make amends in some way. Don't let the salesman's mistake or greed ruin your relationship with the dealership since you might need them for an emergency repair some day.

My dealership is a family owned business that has quite a few family members -- brothers, cousins, etc. working there. My salesman is one of the two brothers who own the place, which was started up by their father 40 years ago. When I ask him a price, he tells me it's a ballpark figure and that he will be happy to look it up if that price didn't scare me off. He never quotes a firm figure without checking what they have invested in an item first. The other sales guys and the parts guys work the same way. Their ballpark figures are usually within 10%, but sometimes they get surprized when they check the books -- either way.