Buying Advice

/ Buying Advice #1  

db05

Looking for a tractor in the 30-35 HP range with 4x4. I've decided to go with the makes below. I'd like to have a Deere or Kubota, but price prevents. I would very much appreciate your opinions, comments or any other info concerning the makes below. I guess the main info I need is, is there any big difference between the makes and are parts easier to find on some?

Yanmar
Mitsubishi
Iseki
Lenar
Hinomoto
Mahindra

Once again, all opinions are much appreciated.

/ Buying Advice #2  
db05 said:
Looking for a tractor in the 30-35 HP range with 4x4. I've decided to go with the makes below. I'd like to have a Deere or Kubota, but price prevents. I would very much appreciate your opinions, comments or any other info concerning the makes below. I guess the main info I need is, is there any big difference between the makes and are parts easier to find on some?

Yanmar
Mitsubishi
Iseki
Lenar
Hinomoto
Mahindra

i was in the same boat as you... .at first i was hopeing to get a 10K tractor, but everything i could find in that range was used Grey market stuff and usually not in the size i wanted.

I ultimatly went with a used NH and am very happy i did.

Of the above i would Recomend Mahindra or Kioti (not on your list) as they seem to be the most prevlant and therefore easyest to find parts for. (least that would be my logic....)

/ Buying Advice #3  
If you have the time, look at used.
Bob

/ Buying Advice #4  
I've had my Mahindra for 3.5 years and love it. Don't think you can go wrong with this red one.

/ Buying Advice #5  
I can't speak for every part of the country, but here in LA, the Mahindra's weren't much cheaper than the Deere and Kubota for a unit in the hp/feature range you mentioned. I bought my tractor in the last month and I shopped around thoroughly at all the "bigger name" tractors.

I was on the Mahindra "lot" and when I heard the Mahindra's price, I almost fell out of the seat! :eek: My thoughts exactly were "I can add just a little to that and get a Kubota". I'm not knocking Mahindra, people around here that have them, swear by them. If I didn't care for the brand, I wouldn't have been on the "lot". My issue is there aren't many Mahindra dealerships around here and what happens if they were to go out of business? How far would I have to drag the tractor for regular maintenance or a breakage, seeing as how my mechanical inclinations make tightening a bicycle chain an all day affair?

To summarize and get off my proverbial soap box, strike Mahindra off your list if $ is an issue. They aren't cheap!

/ Buying Advice #6  
I don't know where you are, but around here even Mahindra is kind of a long ways to a dealer. We had a guy start up, but now he has no tractors on the lot. The others aren't even seen.

Your choice should be based on what is available around your area, for both sales and service/parts. Even if you do a lot of your own mechanical work you will need parts now and then and a dealership is pretty important to have handy.

I'd side with majority and suggest finding something used. 30 to 35 hp is big enough that there should be things around like Massey 135s, various Fords, and other old farm brands for fairly good prices. N series Fords that will do a lot of work can be had for less than $5k easily. Some fairly big iron is available surprizingly cheap since farmers have moved up to huge stuff and CUT buyers want smaller stuff.

My SIL just bought a 70 hp tractor in good working order. I'm pretty sure he paid less than you want to spend. With something of that size you probably won't need 4 x 4.

/ Buying Advice #7  
db05 said:

Yanmar
Mitsubishi
Iseki
Lenar
Hinomoto
Mahindra

Hmmm, you like JD but now are looking at Yanmar.
I assume you are aware that there are JD tractors in your hp range that have Yanmar engines (JD4610, JD 4710). These two models were last built in 2004 and the average retail price for the 2004 models (dealer's price for a "clean" used tractor) is in the $18-21K range.

/ Buying Advice #8  
I have a Branson and have been very happy with it, I don't know if you have a dealer in your area?

/ Buying Advice #9  
What's your price range? Do you need an FEL?

The Kubota L3400 is basic but solid and around here not very expensive. JD 790 and 990 (both made by Yanmar, I think) would also be worth a look, though prices will depend heavily on dealer and the norm in your area for green paint. Also New Holland TC30 might be worth a look - another basic one from a major brand (and I think made by one of the Japanese companies).

/ Buying Advice #10  
I am suprised no one has asked what you plan to do with this tractor. I think that plays into it a lot.