Gas vs Diesel Hp vs Torque

/ Gas vs Diesel Hp vs Torque #61  
orezok said:
OK - differences in terminology, but WHY would you put an hour meter on a racing engine? We rebuilt our engines after every race. Can't remember when we last had a DNF due to engine failure.

Most amature racers are not on that kind of budget, and it usually is not neccessary!

/ Gas vs Diesel Hp vs Torque #62  
MossRoad said:
I read all the data the last time that was posted. I would just like to see the HP and torque curves for two engines with the same number of cylinders and displacement. That's all.:)

In my mind, yes, Kohler tests their engine differently. I agree. They cheat. I agree. But the Kubota engine in that test has 30% greater displacement and one more cylinder than the Kohler in that comparrison. They're "cheating" too. ;)

All this talk about cheating makes me want to VOTE for one....

jb

/ Gas vs Diesel Hp vs Torque #64  
john_bud said:
Actually, you made a great point -- maybe without knowing it. HP is HP and torque is torque. But the rpms are different.

A 25 hp gas kohler may make its hp at 3600 rpm. Torque = hp*5252/rpm = 25*5252/3600 = 36.4722 ft-lb.

A 25 hp diesel kubota may make its hp at 2600 rpm. Torque = 25*5252/2600 = 50.5 ft-lb.

Seems obvious which one has more uumph, at least to me.

Speaking of obvious, you put the cross hair just behind the shoulder in the middle of body mass and slowly squeeze the trigger. Don't rest your elbow on the steering wheel as the engine vibrations will make it harder get a steady hold. ;-)

jb

Looks pretty straightforward to me with that formula. The lower the RPM the engine operates to achieve the HP, the greater the amount of torque that is produced.