Cab vs no cab for forestry work?

/ Cab vs no cab for forestry work? #21  
Boondox said:
Good points, Mike. I'd hate to have to find religion! :)

Deadfalls (Widow Makers is what the locals call them) are plentiful in my neck of the woods and are a lot bigger concern of mine than bees or wasps since I walk the woods daily with my pack of goldens and have a good idea where the insect hazards are located.

Still undecided on the cab issue. It sounds like AC is needed if I get a cab, and that adds some expense to the package that we're not in a position to deal with now. Buying used is certainly an option, but being unfamiliar with excavators I don't feel comfortable taking that risk

The aging process always influences my decisions, especially when comfort is involved. If you are going to spend a lot of time on that machine; spend the money for the CAB and A/C!! You only go around once, and this is no "dress rehearsal!"

/ Cab vs no cab for forestry work? #22  
Hi Boondox!

Well, I pondered long an hard over the very question that you posed before my last equipment purchase. It appears we make similar use of our respective machines in the Vermont woods although I suspect you might deal with softer soil more often. In choosing to go with an A/C cab I feel I’ve made the right decision, however, I’ve also had to modify how I use the machine in the woods. I’ve widened my existing woods paths to ten feet and all new ones will be that width. It also requires more constant pruning along the edges of these paths. Using a glass sided cab in the woods can certainly be done although there is always that feeling of “walking on eggs”! I’m lucky in having a gravel/sand pit on the property and use these materials to firm up soft spots I encounter on the pathways. It seems you’ve just about made your decision on an economic basis and I thought I’d just take this opportunity to say hello to a fellow Vermonter. Your attitude towards “interest payments” put a warm glow in my heart! :D

Ken

/ Cab vs no cab for forestry work? #23  
I guess I'm feeling stupid again. I was thinking about a tractor based backhoe and you're talking (I think) about a tracked vehicle that is first and foremost used for digging holes.

/ Cab vs no cab for forestry work?
Yeah, Rich. I was talking about an excavator.

Ken -- Yeah, my soil is pretty soft. The drier portion of my land with a southern exposure is way too steep for any vehicle. The majority of my land is shaded from noon on, so remains pretty soggy year round. I sure do envy you your gravel pit! Right after every spring thaw I scramble like crazy to clear the sand from the ditches along the dirt road bordering my property so I can use that precious free sand in one of my many bogs! By the time I die the place might look pretty good! :)

I have two logging roads in various states of disrepair but wide enough that I won't have to worry about cab damage. I have another trail, an abandoned cross country ski trail, that is narrow and overgrown to the point where a cab might require the walking on eggs technique you describe. But harvesting wood or granite requires the ability to manuever between trees off trail, and for that reason (plus economics) I'm leaning toward the canopy model.

I was in Albany NY today getting my Mini Cooper serviced and just two blocks from the dealer was a Kubota dealer with a U45 out front. Of course I stopped to drool! But as I went over the specs I noticed that Kubota's zero tail swing excavators did not mirror the specs of the conventional swing models. In the latter genre I am torn between the KX91 and the KX121...but the U35 neatly splits the difference: better specs than the 91 but not as good as the 121. It's wider than I wanted which would limit my forays between the trees...but once there I wouldn't have to worry about damage when slewing the house.

So now I have yet more specs and another quote to compare. Jeez, it never ends!

I'm up in Lamoille County, btw, one hill over from Mansfield. What part of our glorious state are you from?

Pete

/ Cab vs no cab for forestry work? #25  
Boondox said:
Yeah, Rich. I was talking about an excavator.

Ken -- Yeah, my soil is pretty soft. The drier portion of my land with a southern exposure is way too steep for any vehicle. The majority of my land is shaded from noon on, so remains pretty soggy year round. I sure do envy you your gravel pit! Right after every spring thaw I scramble like crazy to clear the sand from the ditches along the dirt road bordering my property so I can use that precious free sand in one of my many bogs! By the time I die the place might look pretty good! :)

I have two logging roads in various states of disrepair but wide enough that I won't have to worry about cab damage. I have another trail, an abandoned cross country ski trail, that is narrow and overgrown to the point where a cab might require the walking on eggs technique you describe. But harvesting wood or granite requires the ability to manuever between trees off trail, and for that reason (plus economics) I'm leaning toward the canopy model.

I was in Albany NY today getting my Mini Cooper serviced and just two blocks from the dealer was a Kubota dealer with a U45 out front. Of course I stopped to drool! But as I went over the specs I noticed that Kubota's zero tail swing excavators did not mirror the specs of the conventional swing models. In the latter genre I am torn between the KX91 and the KX121...but the U35 neatly splits the difference: better specs than the 91 but not as good as the 121. It's wider than I wanted which would limit my forays between the trees...but once there I wouldn't have to worry about damage when slewing the house.

So now I have yet more specs and another quote to compare. Jeez, it never ends!

I'm up in Lamoille County, btw, one hill over from Mansfield. What part of our glorious state are you from?

Pete
Hi again Pete!

Ok on your situation Pete. I live in Orleans County right on the Clyde River. I found the gravel pit quite by accident when I was digging out a large cherry stump. When the stump finally came loose I was presented with fine white river sand that must have been part of an ancient river bottom. After removing the overburden I found strata of this fine sand, bank gravel, mixture, and layers of river rock of varied sizes. In my spare time I sort and pile these materials for future use. Meaning…I “play dirt”! That Mini Cooper of yours is a very neat vehicle! I’ve always liked them and was glad that they re-introduced the model.

Our forest trails meander about the property and lead along the river or from pond to pond. My problem is keeping either culverts or bridges in place where the streams traverse the property. Those Spring floods can run with great force here. This winter I’ve been cutting and skidding out yet another forest trail as I can keep the logs dirt free by skidding them on the snow and many of the trees taken are of lumber quality. This certainly saves the blades of my mill and planer.

You live in a very pretty area and it sounds like your having fun with your property. Ever thought of mounting the Mini on the excavator? A/C, comfortable seats,…..just a passing vision…:D

Ken

/ Cab vs no cab for forestry work?
Ken -- My house is at 1400' and the rest of the 155 acres goes uphill from there...so the odds of finding an old riverbed are slim to none for me. What a find for you, though!

I hear you about the erosion issues. A few years ago a storm stalled right over us and in two hours we got over 8 inches of rain! The damage was incredible, but boy was I glad I lived on high ground that day! I lost a small dam and some meadow collapsed into the torrent that is usually a seasonal stream, but those downhill from us had thousands of dollars of damage to home and vehicles...and the road washed out to a depth of nine feet for half a mile! It took a week and just shy of 1000 loads of fill to restore the road.

A Mini for a cab. Hmmm

I snowshoed the woods with two of my dogs today. As we walked down our trails it occurred to me that a cab in such tight quarters was just asking for damage. The more I think about it the more I think a FOPS canopy would be the best fit for me

/ Cab vs no cab for forestry work? #27  
Boondox said:
Ken -- My house is at 1400' and the rest of the 155 acres goes uphill from there...so the odds of finding an old riverbed are slim to none for me. What a find for you, though!

I hear you about the erosion issues. A few years ago a storm stalled right over us and in two hours we got over 8 inches of rain! The damage was incredible, but boy was I glad I lived on high ground that day! I lost a small dam and some meadow collapsed into the torrent that is usually a seasonal stream, but those downhill from us had thousands of dollars of damage to home and vehicles...and the road washed out to a depth of nine feet for half a mile! It took a week and just shy of 1000 loads of fill to restore the road.

A Mini for a cab. Hmmm

I snowshoed the woods with two of my dogs today. As we walked down our trails it occurred to me that a cab in such tight quarters was just asking for damage. The more I think about it the more I think a FOPS canopy would be the best fit for me

Pete!

Ok on the topography of your land. We are at about 1,240ft or some thirty feet above the river. No flood worries due to the elevation of the house and outbuildings above the river although the streams are a different matter. My intention is to rip out the three remaining stream culverts in the spring and replace them with gravel ramps leading to arch span bridges over the streams to finally put an end to the constant re-setting of the culverts.

Ok on the canine jaunts. Our pals run in the direction of Brittany Spaniels who are actually the masters of the domain. In fact, I’m in negotiation to secure at least a portion of the couch for fireside reading…..if I can get permission from them!:confused:

I agree, using a glass sided cab in thick forest is a real chancy proposition. I suspect that the law of averages will eventually mandate a glass panel order, however, in the meantime I’m sticking my tongue out at those blood-sucking black flies!:eek:

Well, back to the CAD programs. Bridges, out-buildings, culverts, raised flower beds, ponds, wood-trails, and 356 Honey-Do projects! I had more free time when I was actually getting paid for my efforts!:D

Ken

/ Cab vs no cab for forestry work? #28  
I've got a cab on my L5030 and it stands up to woods work well but I have a farmi winch with lots of cable and I don't drive it like a skidder. I don't push through brush with it so it lasts pretty well.

If I were logging commercially I'd get screens mounted to protect it, of course the underbelly of the L series isn't really up to that task without lots of plate.