Trying to Decide Which Backhoe for my L3838

/ Trying to Decide Which Backhoe for my L3838 #1  

clvickers

Tractor
Kubota L3830
I'm trying to get some opinions about which is the best BH for my L3830 w/LA723 FEL. The BH's that I'm looking at are:

* Kubota BH-90
* Woods BH-90X
* Bushhog BH850
* Bradco 509
* Rhino 85

I plan to use a sub-frame mount due to the issues I've been told of regarding 3-Pt mounts. I'm also looking at using the tractors existing hydraulics and not installing a seperate PTO pump. If you've priced any of these then I would like to know what you were quoted as well.

I'm leaning toward the Woods right now.

/ Trying to Decide Which Backhoe for my L3838 #2  
There are some ongoing discussions in the "attachments" forum.

jb

/ Trying to Decide Which Backhoe for my L3838 #3  
Back hoes are always a good topic of discussion. I have been looking also and aslong as I have some money come April/May I plan on getting the Woods BH90x, hopefully with the hydraulic thumb, ,money will tell.

steve

/ Trying to Decide Which Backhoe for my L3838 #4  
Can you put a backhoe on a Kubota HSTC (with a factory cab). I have a 4330 HSTC. Kubota does not make one (the salesman so states), but does a third party?

/ Trying to Decide Which Backhoe for my L3838 #5  
Here's my two cents; When we got our L3830 in '04, we had our choice between the Kubota BH90 or the Woods BH9000. Both with subframe, but the Woods had it's own hydraulics and PTO pump, the Kubota ran off the tractor hydraulics. I liked the idea of keeping the hydraulics seperate, and the bucket with the Woods had an extra "power position". They were both the same price, $7500. Seems A-okay to me, very strong and smooth operating. I don't know how much different the newer model is. We got an 18" bucket, seemed like a good choice.

/ Trying to Decide Which Backhoe for my L3838 #6  
Thanks Jimaniac. I have a 18" bucket on my Ford 535 and it is just about the right size. The Woods having it's own hydraulics is a plus as I would not think you would have to add any remotes. I also see from their website it will fit on the Kubota Cab L machines. Nice!

Catman1

/ Trying to Decide Which Backhoe for my L3838 #7  
The Kubota hoe is closer to the tractor then the competition which means it has less leverage then the other makes while working with the tractor. The pumps built into the tractors are larger then the ones that are add ons for most all manufacturers. The subframe of the Kubotas doesn't hinder any mid mount or front attachments to the tractor, you just remove them and install the next one rather then having to unbolt subfarme assemblies.
The kubota was designed for their tractors and although some manufacturers offer increased digging strength I wonder with the hoe's being mounted further from the center of the tractor and offering more strength if it would be recommended!

/ Trying to Decide Which Backhoe for my L3838 #8  
Vic,

I went through the same deal....Finally ended up trading my 3830 for a L39. You should find lots of discussion on the topic if you search.

/ Trying to Decide Which Backhoe for my L3838 #9  
JimMorrissey said:
Vic,

I went through the same deal....Finally ended up trading my 3830 for a L39. You should find lots of discussion on the topic if you search.

That's a step from "boys to men" ! If you don't mind my asking, what kind of $ hit did you take on that?

jb

/ Trying to Decide Which Backhoe for my L3838 #10  
I have a Woods BH9000 with the Hyd package. New in 2000. I have been very pleased with reliability and performance. The pump is about 16GPM and you will need at least that much flow to get decent speed from the unit.