Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #11  
My neighbor has a 5105 and I have a 5040. Both tractors are pretty evenly matched and seem to perform equally well at most tasks. Since we are both "tractor" nuts and often share equipment and tasks, I'll share a few observations about both. My 5040 FEL is a bit slower than his. I have to put a few more rev's to the engine to match his FEL speed. He lust after my transmission/hyd. shuttle shift and wishes he had the ability to add a creep option (we both do forestry work, among other things, with our tractors). We each like our own tractors ergonomics (to each his own). Bottom line, they are so evenly matched, the tie-breaker should be the dealer and the deal.

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #12  
talltale said:
My neighbor has a 5105 and I have a 5040.

Couldn't ask for better information on comparing the two! Now I won't feel bad whichever one I buy.

Question for you: my test drives of the 5105 have made me think that the turning radius w/o brakes is significantly more than the 10.9 feet that JD specs it at. The Kubotas I've driven do seem to have the radius claimed (which is 11.8 for the 5040). Any comments on how your neighbor's 5105 turning radius compares to your 5040? I'm wondering if maybe low traction (snow and ice) enlarged the radius where I test drove the 5105.

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #13  
Z-Michigan said:
The M5040 is rated for I think 3300# but that is without an independent third party test. So who knows if it will lift 3300 or just 3000# or some other number.

Kubota's tractors are all tested by an Independant Lab in Japan. They don't do the Nebraska tests because they think its stupid that Nebraska refuses to just accept the results of the other testing center thats used by serveral other countries. The specs are independantly verified, just not by Nebraska.

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #14  
MessickFarmEqu said:
Kubota's tractors are all tested by an Independant Lab in Japan. They don't do the Nebraska tests because they think its stupid that Nebraska refuses to just accept the results of the other testing center thats used by serveral other countries. The specs are independantly verified, just not by Nebraska.

The Nebraska tractor test lab website has two Kubota tests - an L5030GST and an M5700. The M5700 was done in Japan and the L5030 was done in Nebraska. I don't know why, if all their tractors are being tested in Japan, that only one test report made its way to the Nebraska website. That website includes test reports from a variety of OECD tractor testing facilities, not just tests done in Nebraska. It also includes a link to OECD's central website, though that appears to be several years out of date.

If the Japanese lab has a website that lets you download test reports, I would be very interested.

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #15  
MessickFarmEqu said:
I suspect that the tests are not conducted to the same standards, therefore the data could not be accurately compared to tractors tested to OECD standards.

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #16  
Messick,

So who/where is the Independent Lab, what other tractor manufacturers use it, and where do we get the reports? Thanks for your help!

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #17  
Z-Michigan said:
Couldn't ask for better information on comparing the two! Now I won't feel bad whichever one I buy.

Question for you: my test drives of the 5105 have made me think that the turning radius w/o brakes is significantly more than the 10.9 feet that JD specs it at. The Kubotas I've driven do seem to have the radius claimed (which is 11.8 for the 5040). Any comments on how your neighbor's 5105 turning radius compares to your 5040? I'm wondering if maybe low traction (snow and ice) enlarged the radius where I test drove the 5105.

I haven't really tried the turning radius test with them. We'll give it a try and let you know. Currently, they are both configured about the same ( 8' AnBo snow blade on mine and an 8' BoDozer blade on his).

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #18  
BleedGreen said:
Messick,

So who/where is the Independent Lab, what other tractor manufacturers use it, and where do we get the reports? Thanks for your help!

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)produces comprehensive reports on new tractor models manufactured almost anywhere in the world. The organization has been developing international standards for testing tractors since 1959. These have enabled 30 official examination centers in 28 countries to conduct harmonized tests. So far, the centers have evaluated the performance of 1,970 tractors and have measured noise levels and assessed the rollover protection of 10,000 tractors.
OECD member countries that have staged these standardized tractor tests include Britain, France, Germany, Japan, South Korea and the United States. In America, the tests are conducted by the Association of Equipment Manufacturers (AEM) in Chicago and the Nebraska Tractor Test Laboratory at the University of Nebraska.
Test data are divided into eight sections, called codes: two for performance, five for protective structures and one for noise. The performance tests look at main power takeoff; hydraulic power and lifting force; drawbar power (with and without ballast); turning area and turning circle; position of center of gravity; braking; external noise level; traction power; and fuel consumption of the tractor without ballast. Tests are conducted on tractors that have not been modified and are operating as specified by the manufacturer.

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #19  
Messick,

Thanks for your help with my question!!! If anyone is interested in perusing the test results, go to Abstracts of agricultural tractor test search engine

Does anyone know of any other independent testing labs? Case/NH, Deere, Massey and Renault all have a multitude of models on these reports, but other major international manufacturers, such as Daedong, Deutz-Fahr, Kubota, Mahindra and McCormick have very few... Mitsubishi is not even on the list...??? Anyone have any ideas?

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #20  
I attempted to get the results for Kioti (Daedong) and came up empty. Does that mean no testing for those tractors?