Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #1  

and13345

I am looking at upgrading my current tractor (Farmtrac 360DTC) to a 50HP class tractor. I have looked around and have narrowed the choices down to the Kubota M5040 (with LA1153 FEL) and the JD 5105 (with 522 FEL). I have 10 acres that I currently mow, but I am going to be building a home on the land and will be looking to do much of the site work myself. Pricing is almost the same (Kubota price is about $500 less), but the Kubota dealer is going to give me about $3,000 more for the current tractor I have that I am trading in. I have done a side by side comparison of the specs. and feature and neither seems to just stand out from the other. One has this feature that I like and the other has some other feature that I like. The Kubota is slightly bigger in width and wheel base, but is about 500 LBS lighter. Is this anything to be concerned about?

I am leaning heavily towards the Kubota as the extra trade in makes the overall price less.

Is there any feature that the JD 5105 may have that would be worth the extra $$$ for?

How about Warranty? The warranty times are the same on both, but was just wondering if anyone has had problems getting work performed under warranty when needed?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Looking to pull the trigger this weekend.

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #2  
and13345,

As a long time Deere salesman, it really hurts me to say this, but... If the deal is that much better at the Kubota dealership, I think that is the way you should go. I don't think you could go wrong with either tractor, but a 3K price difference is too much for even me to ask for!!! :D

If the pricing was closer - within a thousand bucks let's say - I could bring up a few areas where I feel the 5105 excels over the M5040, (Deere is Nebraska Tractor tested, higher 3 pt hitch capacity, steel hydraulic lines on the loader vs. rubber hoses, etc.) but in reality the tractors are pretty evenly matched. I would recommend that you demo both units, just to make sure there isn't some little thing that would drive you nuts on the Kubota (like that glaring orange pumpkin paint - just kidding ;) ) but I can't imagine that you could find something that was worth 2 or 3 grand... As long as you feel comfortable with the dealer, (after sale service, parts, etc.) I think you should make the deal.

Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples (MFWD, rear hydraulic outlets, etc. - but I am sure you have already done that) and it certainly would not hurt to take your Kubota quote back over to the Deere dealership - at the very least so he knows how badly Kubota is kicking his you know what!!! If it helps you at all, my discounted price on a 5105 w/R1's, MFWD, integrated joystick w/dual scv's and the 522 loader w/72" materials bucket would be right at 28K, minus your trade-in. I would be happy to answer any other questions you might have on the Deere, and good luck to you on your purchase!

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #3  
Funny because I am making basically the same choice. IMHO the Kubota has several more features which make it much more deluxe. However, in driving both of them I find the Deere to be much more heavily built, almost in a class up in terms of sturdiness. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the M5040 - I doubt you will strain it unless you are doing demolition or foresting.

Personally I am probably going to go with a JD 5105 because I like the ergonomics and general construction better - to me, everything feels more solid. That being said, I will miss the fully-synchronized main shift and the shift on fly 4wd that you get on the Kubota (I think you would have to go up to a 5125 JD to get these features, which is a major bump in price). I will not miss the digital dash which I view as something that will break in 10 or 15 years when the rest of the tractor should still be young. I also think, from driving both of them, that the Kubota has a tighter turning radius, even though the paper specs are pretty close on that.

If you do get the Kubota, you might want to consider getting the hydraulic shuttle instead of the plain dry clutch shuttle. It is a bit easier to use and should last longer if you're doing lots of reversing, which seems likely if you're preparing a site to build a house. My local dealer quoted me $1200 to upgrade from dry shuttle to hydro-shuttle on the M5040.

One other thing - be sure to read the owning/operating forums for Kubota before you buy the M5040. There have been some issues with the Mxx40 series. It appears that they are mostly minor and don't exist in the later production models, but read up and be sure it won't be an issue for you.

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #4  
Are both of the machines you are looking at 4wd?

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105
N80,
Yes, both tractors are 4wd with R4 Industrial tires all around. Both have a Top and Tilt kit with 2 rear remotes. Both include a horizontal exhaust instead of the upright stack and a diamond plate steel canopy.

BleedGreen,
You may NOT be looking at the latest specs for both tractors as the LA1153 does have steel hydraulic lines that run down the loader arms. The only area where they use hoses is in the typical flex points that the JD loader uses hoses as well. As for the 3pt lift capacity, the M5040 actually is rated at about 500 lbs more lift capacity (24" behind lift point) then the 5105. As for the Pumpkin color, I grew up in the farmlands of Illinois driving nothing but BIG RED International equipment, so the Green would be as much of an adjustment as the Orange :) . I have let the dealers I have talked to (1 Kubota and 2 JD) know what I am getting else where. All have come down considerably from where we started, but the Kubota dealer is just giving me a better deal on my trade. I have talked to both JD dealers and neither is willing to drop their price or up my trade value. Both tried a bit, but neither made any significant adjustments.

All three dealers I am talking to are under 28k for the tractor, loader, 2 rear remotes, R4's, Horizontal exhaust & canopy.

I have tested both models and I don't see a great deal of difference. I like the layout of the operators deck on the JD a little better, but I also like the fully synchronized shifting on the F/R shuttle and the 4 main gears. I could never really get an answer if the JD's 4 main gears are synchronized or not. When Driving it I felt like them may be as shifting on the move was easy and smooth.

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #6  
and13345 said:
N80,
I have tested both models and I don't see a great deal of difference. I like the layout of the operators deck on the JD a little better, but I also like the fully synchronized shifting on the F/R shuttle and the 4 main gears. I could never really get an answer if the JD's 4 main gears are synchronized or not. When Driving it I felt like them may be as shifting on the move was easy and smooth.

I can answer that one - the four main gears on the JD 5105 are NOT synchronized. With the inline pattern you may be able to shift them while moving either with skill or with luck, but they are not synchro and not intended to be shifted while moving. My JD dealer was a bit cagey on that but finally made it plain, and you can find the operator's manual on the JD website where it will also state this.

I've been debating these two for a while and I'm almost at the point where I could flip a coin or go on price alone. Funny thing is I have what seems to be a really good quote on the JD, so price is not deterring me from it - if anything slightly tipping me toward it.

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #7  
and13345,

I sincerely apologize if I gave you incorrect specs - this is what I have to go on... I just checked on the Kubota website, and they state that the 3 pt on the M5040 lifts 3,307# @ 24" behind lift point. Deere states the 3 pt on the 5105 lifts 4,884# @ 24" behind lift point. If my specs are wrong, I apologize, but I am just going by what both manufacturers state on their websites. I included some pictures of the Deere and Kubota loaders, front axles and the Deere transmission levers. Once again, I don't think you can go wrong with either unit, and if the pricing was closer I would push you towards the Deere (there is that green bias again :D ) but at 3K lower for the Kubota, I don't see how you can go wrong... Good Luck!!!

The 5105 is synchronized between the "A" Range and Reverse ONLY. Here is the Sales Manual explanation of the Deere 8/4 SyncReverser Transmission:

SyncReverser transmission with 8 forward and 4 reverse speeds

The SyncReverser transmission is designed to match the excellent power and torque characteristics of the John Deere PowerTech™ engines. Transmission durability is enhanced with the pressure-lubricated top shaft, allowing an operator to achieve performance from one working season to the next.

Easy and comfortable shifting - Operator-friendly transmission controls - Synchronized shifting from A range to reverse - Gear shift "in-line" speed selection pattern

Eight forward and four reverse speeds are achieved by using two platform-mounted levers for shift operation. The right-hand lever selects one of four speeds in forward or reverse in a collarshift "in-line" pattern. The left-hand lever selects ranges A and B and reverse. The A range to reverse is synchronized and provides left-hand "in-line" shuttle shifting. The synchronization is especially desirable to loader operators as a stop is not required to shift from A range to reverse. Shifting to B range requires bringing the tractor to a complete stop.

Attachments

• 5105 MFWD front axle.jpg
    5105 MFWD front axle.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 567
  • m40_tierod.jpg
    m40_tierod.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 233
  • jd_hydlines.jpg
    jd_hydlines.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 222
  • m40_hydlines.jpg
    m40_hydlines.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 5105 operation levers.jpg
    5105 operation levers.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 610
  • 5105 range lever.jpg
    5105 range lever.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 206
  • 5105 gear shift lever.jpg
    5105 gear shift lever.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 224
   / Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #8  
One thing that I have noticed about steel hyd lines is the rust faster that hose and if they get good rap they will stay dented and not spring back like rubber hose. They also harder to change than hose and almost always have to be purchased from the respective tractor dealer. Where a broken hose can be made up at any place that does hyd work. As far as the color there is no safer color that Lime green, its easy to see night or day and orange runs second to it. That is why highway traffic directing devices in work zones are orange. Workmen also wear orange or lime green safety vest.

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105
BleedGreen,
I see where it says on the JD site the capacity is 4880#, but what is funny is I took the information I have from the new 5005 Series Product Manual I got from the JD Dealer and in it the capacity is listed as 2990# for the 5105 & 5205.

/ Kubota M5040 vs. JD 5105 #10  
and13345 said:
BleedGreen,
I see where it says on the JD site the capacity is 4880#, but what is funny is I took the information I have from the new 5005 Series Product Manual I got from the JD Dealer and in it the capacity is listed as 2990# for the 5105 & 5205.

I think what's happening here is that the 3ph will lift 4880# through most but not all of its range, and the 2990# is what it will lift through every inch of the movement range. Look up "Nebraska tractor test lab" and then read the test on 5105 (later model) for detailed information on this and some other specs.

The M5040 is rated for I think 3300# but that is without an independent third party test. So who knows if it will lift 3300 or just 3000# or some other number. I can't really see using any implement heavier than 1500lbs so this hasn't been much of a factor for me.