PTO, way too often is undervalued in a purchase

/ PTO, way too often is undervalued in a purchase
DK35vince said:
Hydraulic pressure squeezes the clutch pack plenty tight so I don't forsee that as ever being a problem.
The biggest issue I see with this system is the PTO slams on so hard when engaged on many (or most) machines with this setup.

I agree, Vince. There is a lot of jolt to the system all at once, no way to feather a push button. I try to start my pto at a real low rpm, this seems to help a lot. I definitely don't recommend starting these up under load and at the full 540 RPM

/ PTO, way too often is undervalued in a purchase #52  
I tend to agree with the mechanic.. a 2 stage clutch and a hand clutch is a 'rip off' independent pto.. ( hey.. whatever works though.. some older tractors had that and it let them bale hay with the same hp that non live pto woudn't when using a single stage clutch... )

I think, for the most part.. ya got to split no matter what type of clutch ya got.... One thing to remember.. most clutches are dry disc.. single or dual.. while pto clutches in ind pto's are most likely wet clutches.. wet clutches last WAY longer... there is an advantage to that.

If the hyd pressure is so low that the clutch doesn't engage good.. yes.. the pto will slip.. course.. on many of these old tractors.. there was only 1 pump.. if pres was that low.. your 3pt didn't work either.. or perhaps power steering ( depending on if a seperate ps pump.. etc..

Also.. IND pto is not only achieved by 'switch engagement / solenoid'

Many units have a handle that is actually hooke dto a hyd valve that you manually throw in to pressureize the pto clutch pack ( ford for one anyway..).. thus you can 'feather' the pto in by letting it slip for a second or so..

There is simple.. and there is cheap... they usually don't intersect. Simple is a non live pto. While it may be a tad spendy to repalce a hyd pto clutch.. have you priced a dual clutch for a tractor lately? I helped my stepfather replace the ind pto clutch in his JD 2240 it was less than 500$ in parts, and that included a couple lines and a bearing carrier ont he pto shaft that would not normally be replaced as wear items... so real cost of the clutch parts were closer to 340$ and about 2 days work...

Soundguy

JC-jetro said:
Thats right. In his opinion the only "honest to god and genuine " independent PTO is the one hydraulically activated along with single foot clutch plate for transmission. Also he believed any dual clutch live pto that has a separate hand clutch is " an independent PTO wanna be" and really is jazzed up live PTO.

I can see his argument and see he has got a point.

Now my 2 cents, I think for average " do it yourself" kind of guy dual clutch live PTO is easier to replace and repair buy splitting the tractor. It seems the clutch pack on Hyd independent also requires splitting the tractor per Kubota guy. I would think replacing clutch pack without tractor split takes my vote. One problem I see with hyd independent is the clutch pack is squeezed together with hyd oil pressure thru a solenoid valve that is made by a dash mounted switch. I think if you can not squeeze the clutch plate tight enough because of hyd problem then you run the risk of wearing out the disk material prematurely without even getting much physical feed back and when you realize it probably it is too late. you've done did it and pto clutch is gone.:(

I am thinking if functionality of live PTO and longevity ,and simplicity of tractor is prime concern then a live PTO should win over Hyd independent PTO. Any though on my last statement?