Tractor Sizing Tractor/Backhoe Size

/ Tractor/Backhoe Size #1  

tractorkid

After the help from all of you I finally decided to purchase a Woods BH70-X backhoe for my Case DX26. I went to the dealer last weekend thinking I was going to order it and on the lot was a DX31 with a Woods BH80-X. The question I have for all of you is should I make the trade or not. I know the DX26 must work because people get by with subCUTS and backhoe's but at the same time this would be the time to make the trade and I don't want to purchase the backhoe for the smaller machine and regret it. So those of you with a backhoe on a similar sized machine as me, do you like it, do you ever wish you had a bigger, heavier machine? I will be using it for stumps, rocks, general digging, etc in rocky New England soil. And of course there are the comfort advantages and quick-tach on the larger machine too, but it is also more money. So, the question is, would you consider the trade, or stick with the smaller machine?

/ Tractor/Backhoe Size #2  
The ability of any backhoe to exert force is limited by the amount of weight availble to react to that force. Physics: every action is opposed by an equal and opposite reaction. So, the larger heavier tractor will allow the backhoe to do work without jerking the tractor around. I've had my Woods 7-1/2 foot 'hoe on three different tractors. While it worked O.K. with the lightest one, it worked much better on the larger heavier ones. In this application bigger is better. But, that said, it is your money that is being spent.

/ Tractor/Backhoe Size #3  
We are notorious for spending other's money.:)
That said, in your scenario and IMO, I would make the trade now to the larger machine. I don't think you will ever be sorry.

/ Tractor/Backhoe Size #5  
tractorkid said:
After the help from all of you I finally decided to purchase a Woods BH70-X backhoe for my Case DX26. I went to the dealer last weekend thinking I was going to order it and on the lot was a DX31 with a Woods BH80-X. The question I have for all of you is should I make the trade or not. I know the DX26 must work because people get by with subCUTS and backhoe's but at the same time this would be the time to make the trade and I don't want to purchase the backhoe for the smaller machine and regret it. So those of you with a backhoe on a similar sized machine as me, do you like it, do you ever wish you had a bigger, heavier machine? I will be using it for stumps, rocks, general digging, etc in rocky New England soil. And of course there are the comfort advantages and quick-tach on the larger machine too, but it is also more money. So, the question is, would you consider the trade, or stick with the smaller machine?

I just went through this very issue...I moved up in size for the weight and am glad I did.

/ Tractor/Backhoe Size #6  
I would say it all depends on how much the overall cost is to move up and what are your intended uses.

Andy

/ Tractor/Backhoe Size
Intended uses are:
-Remove stumps-from a few inches to as big as the machine will handle
-Dig many, many holes for planting trees
-Dig up rocks buried in the ground-I often come across rocks that max our the front loader so I could easily be looking at digging up rocks 1100lbs(loader max lift) plus
-Plan on getting a thumb, will use it to move large rocks for building lots of stone walls
I think I could go either way, but want to make sure I make the right decision, last thing I want is to get the backhoe for the smaller machine and be unhappy, but at the same time it costs much more to upsize.

/ Tractor/Backhoe Size #8  
Trade up and get the bigger machine.... as long as it will still fit inside your garage/barn !

/ Tractor/Backhoe Size #9  
tractorkid said:
Intended uses are:
-Remove stumps-from a few inches to as big as the machine will handle
-Dig many, many holes for planting trees
-Dig up rocks buried in the ground-I often come across rocks that max our the front loader so I could easily be looking at digging up rocks 1100lbs(loader max lift) plus
-Plan on getting a thumb, will use it to move large rocks for building lots of stone walls
I think I could go either way, but want to make sure I make the right decision, last thing I want is to get the backhoe for the smaller machine and be unhappy, but at the same time it costs much more to upsize.

I think that you are looking at the larger machine -> trade up.

If you are going to be digging holes for trees, are you putting in large trees with a soil root ball, or rooted saplings? For saplings, a tree spade and heavy foot work well. (but a lot of work). Or a middle buster to make a trench, then put the tree in and stomp down the soil around it. For soiled root ball trees, a post hole digger is going to be much quicker. MUCH quicker at making holes - get a 12" auger and go deep to put moisture holding orgainics down under the roots..

I also assume you are planning on digging around the big rocks and pulling, dragging or rolling them out? No Way, will either of those hoes pick up an 1100# rock that is maxing out the FEL. If it can, I would love to see a picture of it in action!

jb

/ Tractor/Backhoe Size #10  
Even the larger machine you are considering will be taxed for some of the tasks you are considering. I've had 4 size backhoes from a little JD 7, larger than that on a Ford 1710, a Ford New Holland 758 on a Ford 2120 and now a Woods 1050 on a New Holland TN75. The JD 7 dug but it sure took a long time and I had to move a lot.

Andy