eBay/Craigslist Massey MF 240 on Ebay - Scam?

/ Massey MF 240 on Ebay - Scam? #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
This auction looks bogus. He does not specify a location. I've written him twice with no response.

I have a continual search running, entire ag category, limited to 'within 200 miles'. Playing around with the search terms I've located this auction to within city of San Francisco. I asked him if I could come see it, then later asked about shipping to me 60 miles north. No reply.

Could somebody try 'ask the seller' and tell us what he says?

Massey MF 240 on Ebay, ends Feb-17-07 01:22:03 PST

/ Massey MF 240 on Ebay - Scam? #2  
I don't know much about tractors or ebay but I have an ad on the internet and I am not always near a PC for a few days at a time, he may have the same problem and mine is for a plane for sale, lots more $$$$$

Hmm, it's cold out here Brrr
Jim:)

/ Massey MF 240 on Ebay - Scam? #3  
Looks suspicious. Seller has no feedback. I don't think I would jump in to the ebay selling world with such a high ticket item as my first auction.

/ Massey MF 240 on Ebay - Scam? #4  
Harvster said:
Looks suspicious. Seller has no feedback. I don't think I would jump in to the ebay selling world with such a high ticket item as my first auction.

Lots of people buy on ebay without the very first SALE. One of my 2 personal accounts has over 300 purchases. My business account has over 100 more. I just started a sales account yesterday. Plan is to start selling off a massive collection of books, literature and manuals I have. Not sure how people will react to a seller with 0 feedback, but there's only one way to find out. I'm doing like a lot of ebay'ers with seperate username/accounts for buying and/or selling. Lots of people bend the rules a bit and have several accounts. (Some use it for less than ethical practice of shill bidding up their own items. I DON'T condone that practice) My having multiple accounts is for my PROTECTION, and NOT as some would no doubt suspect, being for less than ethical reasons. Ebay is like playing a game.....Some of the players have their own "system" that works for them. That doesn't always mean they're CHEATING.

Even SELLERS, especially the first time seller, are just as afraid of scammers. They don't always respond to "what's your address" types of questions from people who they see as "tire kickers". They only want to send on personal info to someone who's sending money. (Or at least a BIDDER) That doesn't do anything to increase your faith in them, but put yourself in their shoes..... Attemting selling a valuable item to millions of strangers.....

Not EVERY sale is a scam. You play the game, you take your chances.....

After buying from all sorts of sellers, personally, I'm more cautious of multiple-time sellers than 1st time-ers. The "old pros" know all the tricks.

If you suspect foul play, contact EBAY and let them check it out. Trial in the court of public opinion won't help you or anyone else.

Last edited:
   / Massey MF 240 on Ebay - Scam? #5  
I check all feedback on EBAY. Check to see not only favorable vs unfavorable feedback but what was sold/bought and of what quality. Check key words in the feedback description such as GREAT vs FAIR DEAL vs I GOT WHAT I PAID FOR. (people dont go on EBAY to get what they paid for: they want a better deal).
I would never buy anything of any value w/o feedback.
One day someone put up 20 "GREAT" tractor deals spread all over the country all with very low price and willingness to ship overseas. all the photos were unique and convincing. they were probably fishing for some type of info from prospective buyers. I wouldnt even ask questions. If its too good to be true>>>>>>

/ Massey MF 240 on Ebay - Scam? #6  
That doesn't necessarily look like a scam. There are plenty of tractor scams on ebay. I have killed dozens of them. That may be a situation where he started the bidding low, did not put in his location, doesn't check his email often, and hasn't sold much (or anything) on ebay before.

Things to look for on the obvious scams are multiple postings of the same tractor, ridiculously low price, especially ridiculously low "Buy It Now" price, and the inability to contact the seller through ebay or close the deal through ebay. They usually say "Do not use the 'contact seller' or 'ask seller question' because something is wrong with my email. You must contact me through XXX-XXXX number or directly through an email address like ebayscam@sucker.com." If they give you an alternative direct email it's usually a scam. If they say you can't exchange information or money through ebay it's most definately a scam. If they give you a ridiculously low price for 'buy it now' but want a cashier's check or money order for the whole amount up front it's most definately a scam.

By the way, I have never sold or bought anything on ebay. I'm just a regular browser/observer.

/ Massey MF 240 on Ebay - Scam?
OK. But why would anyone bid when the tractor's location is not revealed? It's up to $3200 now, with a newbie hot on the heels of someone who apparently intends to pay whatever it takes to win.

"Ships to: N. and S. America
Item location: USA, United States"

No way would I bid that without seing it in person first - considering the seller's location is within an hour of me.

/ Massey MF 240 on Ebay - Scam? #8  
Usually the scams have a buy it now price that is very low and are only 3 day auctions.

BUT I've been wrong before LOL

BTI

/ Massey MF 240 on Ebay - Scam?
Re: Massey MF 240 on Ebay - Scam?

Category: Health & Beauty/Bath & Body/Antiperspirant, Deodorant

Massey MF 240, ends Feb-17-07 01:22:03 PST
This Listing Is Unavailable
This listing (270089273044) has been removed or is no longer available.
If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled.

Looks like I guessed it right. :D

Edit: I went on to review other local auctions. That seller has four identical auctions going for a Deere Gator. Example
The Deeres all have the same serial#, hours, and photo.

All the auctions contain the magic words:

"Please contact me before making any bids to make things clear. If I'm not contacted before the bid is made I reserve the right to cancel your bid. BUY IT NOW FOR $ 2,900 US"

But Ebay must be on to him. While those auctions remain in the listings, the seller 'robquan8 (0)' is now 'Not A Registered User'.

Last edited:
   / Massey MF 240 on Ebay - Scam? #10  
That's a scam. Now you will get emails on a second offer or that you owe them money or that he is out of town. I sent an e-mail to E-bay on these before and they basically said see it in person before you bid.

Last edited: