New 50 HP Loader Tractor

/ New 50 HP Loader Tractor #21  
JerryG said:
Rich,
You mentioned that you have Massey dealer nearby, go check out their MF 563. It is old style with upgrades and is by far one of the most dependable and also least expensive models of that size of the market today.

Afternoon Jerry,
Funny you should mention the MF 563 ! I go right by Earthworm Equipment in Cambridge, Ny which Im sure is the dealer Rich is talking to. They had a MF 563 there a few weeks ago, I stopped and looked at it and was quite impressed with it !

/ New 50 HP Loader Tractor #22  
firefighter9208 said:
You may want to talk to your tax adviser before you purchase if you have a farm. Sometimes you can't write off a piece of used equipment, but you can new. A couple years ago the IRS changed the law for farms and you could write off the entire purchase price of a piece of equipment (up to $100,000) the first year, you didn't have to depreciate over a period of time.

I have a Boer Goat farm here in Alabama and bought a Kubota M4800 w/FEL, Bushhog etc... and wrote off the entire purchase that year :D .

Thought you might want to check before making this purchase.

Chris

This is correct - my wife's an accountant and since we're just buying a tractor for our farm, we have looked closely at this. It is section 179 of the tax code, and only applies to new equipment, not used.

At the same time, if you get a better deal on the used equipment, that could still be a better choice for you. A write-off only exists after you have an expense!

/ New 50 HP Loader Tractor #23  
Z-Michigan said:
This is correct - my wife's an accountant and since we're just buying a tractor for our farm, we have looked closely at this. It is section 179 of the tax code, and only applies to new equipment, not used.

At the same time, if you get a better deal on the used equipment, that could still be a better choice for you. A write-off only exists after you have an expense!

Actually this in not correct. You can expense new or used equipment.

Here is a quote from tax guru online.

One of the most common questions I am still receiving is whether the Section 179 expensing election is only available for the purchase of brand new assets or whether things such as used vehicles qualify. The answer is still the same. The asset just has to be new to you. You can claim the deduction for items purchased from anyone other than yourself or an entity controlled by you, such as a closely held corporation.

(I added the emphasis in bold)

From the IRS website it states that:

Property Acquired by Purchase
To qualify for the section 179 deduction, your property must have been acquired by purchase. For example, property acquired by gift or inheritance does not qualify.

Here's the link to the IRS publication on section 179:
Publication 946 (2005), How To Depreciate Property

FWIW, Nathan

/ New 50 HP Loader Tractor #24  
Looks like I was wrong... sorry about that. Good news is you don't have to worry about buying new to get the Section 179 benefits!

/ New 50 HP Loader Tractor #25  
I recently bought a 1996 JD 5400 60 PTO HP 2WD and I'm very happy with it. It had 1300hrs and I paid $16,900. Tractor is in perfect shape. Performs as new. It also had a 520 loader on it. Tractor appears to handle most jobs with ease. FWD would always be nice but I imagine I will seldom need it with this size machine.

/ New 50 HP Loader Tractor #26  
wkpoor said:
. FWD would always be nice but I imagine I will seldom need it with this size machine.

I am not trying to disagree with what wkpoor is saying but wouldn't a heavy tractor get stuck just as easily as a smaller tractor with a hp that is of the same ratio as a bigger one? I would think the type of tire would be just as important as the weight. I have some wet spots on our farm that would be tough for any tractor to get through, no matter what the size.

/ New 50 HP Loader Tractor #27  
Oleozz said:
I am not trying to disagree with what wkpoor is saying but wouldn't a heavy tractor get stuck just as easily as a smaller tractor with a hp that is of the same ratio as a bigger one? I would think the type of tire would be just as important as the weight. I have some wet spots on our farm that would be tough for any tractor to get through, no matter what the size.

He may mean that a large 2wd tractor can be just as effective as a smaller 4wd tractor pulling a plow, disc or using a FEL. In some cases they can be more effective as they have more PTO power.

Sometimes a larger tractor has quite large tires that will get to the solid bottom and be able to easily get out where a smaller 4wd tractor would not have the weight (or clearance) to get to the solid bottom.

All depends on application and user skill....

jb

/ New 50 HP Loader Tractor #28  
john_bud said:
He may mean that a large 2wd tractor can be just as effective as a smaller 4wd tractor pulling a plow, disc or using a FEL. In some cases they can be more effective as they have more PTO power.

Sometimes a larger tractor has quite large tires that will get to the solid bottom and be able to easily get out where a smaller 4wd tractor would not have the weight (or clearance) to get to the solid bottom.

All depends on application and user skill....

jb

I think that interpretation is what he meant. I can also see how it could have been taken either way. After reading Oleozz's reply it left me scratching my head wondering which one he meant when I took the way you put it... Did that make any sense at all? lol

/ New 50 HP Loader Tractor #29  
You guys got me right. So far what I've noticed is no matter what you have there will be a limitation somewhere. When I was shopping around it was generally thought that over 50HP that FWD didn't become as important a factor as below. If I had bought delow 50HP I would have insisted on it. My tractor with loaded tires and FEL probably weighs in at about 8000lbs. A couple of times in real muddy soupy soil I've spun out pulling logs but for the most part it seems to do the job fine. Even plowing my snow covered icy drive a couple of weeks ago it had absolutely no trouble. If the one I found had 4WD I would be delighted, but since it don't I'm perfectly happy right now.